Author Topic: Interesting story about explosive growth of hate groups and militias  (Read 12328 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting story about explosive growth of hate groups and militias
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
People in the states that get more money back from the federal government than they pay in distrust the feds the most.  Whites in the South being very high on that list.  There are people in my town who are home schooled, attend church at least 3 times a week, have never been 50 miles from home and don't ever want to be.  The only person they trust who's farther away than that is Jesus.

I don't find your comments offensive, but the word "stereotypical bias" sure pops into my head.  That's a pretty broad brush you're using Carlo and we all could start flinging stereotypes from our part of Union.  Glad most of us don't.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
I don't find your comments offensive, but the word "stereotypical bias" sure pops into my head.  That's a pretty broad brush you're using Carlo and we all could start flinging stereotypes from our part of Union.  Glad most of us don't.

I was directly quoting statistics as well as my "experience" of living many years in small towns in Florida, Louisiana and North Carolina.  It is not unusual to be asked in an initial conversation what church you belong to.  Prayer specifically invoking Jesus Christ before public school PTA meetings is typical.

My 20 year old neighbor is home schooled, a youth minister/yard maintenance worker (same boss), listens to Christian rap music at ear splitting volume, believes the world is 6000 years old, is totally unaware of the commonality of religious myth...and collects AFDC.  Stereotypical?

This is definitely not the Brooklyn, Long Island or even South Florida I lived in as  a youth, not to mention L.A. or the Bay Area.  I do all my food shopping on Sunday morning, miles of aisles. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »
Well, you are correct that it isn't anything like Upstate NY where I live.  However, after living here for 26 years, I am consistently surprised when I meet people who don't fit the stereotypes I have in my head about New Yorkers.  People can be wonderfully surprising.

As for people's beliefs, no one knows it all.  It's not possible to even fathom it.

We shop on weekday evenings so we can bump into friends and chat while we work our way through the store.  It's a good social time.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
Sadly Carlo's observation is not even the slightest exaggeration. I have watched the South progress steadily back into the Dark Ages at a rapid pace since the early 80's led by charlatans in pulpits, boardrooms and political office. It would not be a stretch to call the current state of affairs here the anti-civil rights movement.

ed note: ironically misspelled "pulpits"
-inside joke for those who know
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:28:52 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
Theorizing mode on....

Sometimes we forget that the US is big enough to have its own cultures in various parts of the country.  I tend to think of us as one country, and therefore as one cohesive culture, but in fact that's not necessarily true.

When I moved from the pacific NW into Texas, I definitely crossed some cultural lines.  Those I know who moved from the Northeast into Texas noticed even more differences.  From reports, the deep South is very different even from the Texas area.  California is a different kind of place from many other parts of the US.  Garrison Keillor makes a good living playing with the cultural stereotypes of the upper midwest.

So it doesn't surprise me that the South has some cultural aspects which are in great contrast to other parts of the US.  I heard a recent report on NPR in which the reporter described an area in Alabama as "the kind of place where people ask your name, followed by 'which church do you belong to?'"  It struck me that such a question would be extremely rude in many parts of the US, but it reflects a culture and value system which are very different from those I live in.

That may be one reason that we have so much dissent about major issues - it's almost like getting a number of different countries to agree on anything.

Theorizing mode off...return to beer.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »
speaking of, two weeks ago they finally voted in sunday liquor sales in my part of georgia. better late than never. yes, the deep south is a very different place than texas. i have never considered texas a true  southern state even though they fought with the confederacy in the 'war of northern aggression'. :)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:53 AM »
The problem with Garrison Keillor is that he often confuses his fiction with reality.

Cultural differences? Did anyone else see this story? John Wilkes Booth Bobbleheads Pulled from Gettysburg Gift Shop I can't imagine these selling well up here.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 10:09:25 AM »
The problem with Garrison Keillor is that he often confuses his fiction with reality.

Cultural differences? Did anyone else see this story? John Wilkes Booth Bobbleheads Pulled from Gettysburg Gift Shop I can't imagine these selling well up here.

OTOH, there may be parts of the deep South where they would sell very well.  The Civil War is still a pretty fresh memory in some areas.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
...AND there is a huge contingent of transplants who moved down here for the cost of living thinking that their pre-existing prejudices would be welcomed, and they've taken on a whole fake redneck persona that most natives find disgusting. They've lived here long enough to establish their culture and most of the rest of the country doesn't realize that we REAL good 'ol boys hate these assholes even more than they.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
If the USA does not change direction and falls off an economic cliff at the end of this year, one would be asking himself if 20 guitars in his house or 20 guns might serve a better use.

The sad part is how DEvolved and ignorant the general U.S. population had become. I cringe I watch any of those "man in the street" TV reporters asking people questions. If it isn't some question about a reality TV star or pop culture, 8 out of 10 are clueless about most anything else. We have become a dumbed down society.

It is no wonder the U.S. government has such a low approval rating and is running amok.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 09:25:17 AM »
If the USA does not change direction and falls off an economic cliff at the end of this year, one would be asking himself if 20 guitars in his house or 20 guns might serve a better use.

The sad part is how DEvolved and ignorant the general U.S. population had become. I cringe I watch any of those "man in the street" TV reporters asking people questions. If it isn't some question about a reality TV star or pop culture, 8 out of 10 are clueless about most anything else. We have become a dumbed down society.

It is no wonder the U.S. government has such a low approval rating and is running amok.

Very well said.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
It seems that many people have lost sight of the fact that for our country to function, it is necessary for the citizens to be informed - not just propagandized.  Many people seem ignorant of basic facts of history and geography, not to mention current events.  This is ironic because with the Internet there has never been more information easily available to people. 

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 04:38:50 AM »
speaking of, two weeks ago they finally voted in sunday liquor sales in my part of georgia. better late than never. yes, the deep south is a very different place than texas. i have never considered texas a true  southern state even though they fought with the confederacy in the 'war of northern aggression'. :)

The war of northern aggression.......I love it ;D.
You realize if you use that term north of the Mason Dixon about half the population will have no idea what you are talking about. I've got an old buddy who moved from Michigan to Kentucky over thirty years ago, and although pretty much accepted, he is still referred to as the "Yankee" because he didn't grow up there and no one there knew his daddy or grand daddy.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
I found that when I moved from Washington state to Texas in 1985, I was termed a "Yankee".

This, however, was better than being from the Northeast, as I was informed that in that case I would have been a "Damn Yankee".

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »
Could have been worse, Al. You could have been from Oklahoma, then you wouldn't have been called anything fit to print.