Author Topic: Back from ze House of Pain ... (Dave Warning: Spalted Maple Content!!)  (Read 27536 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
A pickguard would just get in the way.

I'm with you there, Andy...

Obviously, all guitars are phalic in nature, some more than most... there is some of that mumbojumbo that was picked up in that Davinci Code book/film re the blade and chalice combined in the Star of David, and the Explorer certainly explores the blade theory...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
I like the bass moldy goldy and all, but I think you should add an abalone block fretboard, black out the Epi logo on the headstock and tell everyone that it's a $10k+ Alembic.   :o ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:20:30 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Ok, you just christened it. "Mouldy Goldy". LOL, perfect name!

I didn't want to hide the fact that this is an Epi (scarfed neck and all), rather I wanted to promote the fact what a sound basis it is for Cinderella treatment. Plus I don't want this to ever crop up on ebay with someone claiming that it was anything other than a pimped Epi.

Gibson should have done something like this long ago, an upmarket Explorer bass within the traditions of the company (i.e. maho or korina, not alder  or maple, and with not an ugly P bass style split coil in sight). That would have never been a big seller given the Explorer bass' radical shape (and the price tag the thing would have probably come with), but it would have found its devotees and quite a few name players. I think quite a few Iceman, Hamer and Dean players wouldn't have minded the real thing in their hands and an endorsement from Def Lep's Rick Savage couldn't have  hurt sales either. 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
I'd leave yours alone. You did a good job and it looks great as is. A pickguard would just get in the way.

+1 on no pickguard...binding might have been a nice finishing touch to corral the fungus.  For me the angular explorer shape loses a little impact with the rounded over edges.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:57:48 AM by dadagoboi »

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
One Uwe is enough for this poor forum! :P
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
I didn't want to hide the fact that this is an Epi (scarfed neck and all), rather I wanted to promote the fact what a sound basis it is for Cinderella treatment. Plus I don't want this to ever crop up on ebay with someone claiming that it was anything other than a pimped Epi.

Blacking out the name was just a sarcastic suggestion, but I do think the bass could benefit from some sort of fretboard exotica: binding, block inlays, etc... Epiphone generally doesn't get the respect it deserves. I remember working for a Gibson dealer ten years ago and the Epi Les Pauls were consistently FAR superior to their American cousins.

Gibson should have done something like this long ago, an upmarket Explorer bass within the traditions of the company (i.e. maho or korina, not alder  or maple, and with not an ugly P bass style split coil in sight). That would have never been a big seller given the Explorer bass' radical shape (and the price tag the thing would have probably come with), but it would have found its devotees and quite a few name players.

They'd have found a way to screw it up. Right now, the Epi T-Bird Pro is non-existent outside of catalogs and look what it has going for it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Sorry, I have no idea how that multiple posting screw up came about, I'll delete it once I'm at a desktop, can't do it via Blackberry.

I didn't think the removal of the Epi brand at the headstock was a serious proposal! I rememer back in the early days at the Pit, Epi owners would be met with derision unless they had "the right model" (sixties Rivoli, Newport or Embassy). I always thought that embarrassing and those days are luckily long gone.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
The JC did a lot to give the brand respect.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sorry, I have no idea how that multiple posting screw up came about, I'll delete it once I'm at a desktop, can't do it via Blackberry.

Took care of that for you, Uwe.  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Danke, I'm stuck here in Düsseldorf with more than half the trains cancelled due to some freak storm we had today in that region.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

I've been stuck in the Dusseldorf too...... ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile

What can you say to that......up yours..?  ;D
Man, i love this place....not Dusseldorf, the outpost.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel

Sounds like a Python routine.

"Well lads, now it's time for the surgeon to examine your Dusseldorfs!"
"Do we have to?"
"Yes yes, come come, it's part of the induction process.   Oh, and you need to paint zebra stripes on your bums, too."
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Sounds like a Python routine.

"Well lads, now it's time for the surgeon to examine your Dusseldorfs!"
"Do we have to?"
"Yes yes, come come, it's part of the induction process.   Oh, and you need to paint zebra stripes on your bums, too."

Where do I sign up  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Dusseldorf?  :)
Digresion our specialty!