Author Topic: Finally getting around to my bass build  (Read 18188 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Finally getting around to my bass build
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
Depends on the definition and use of the word Tool, Buzz... :mrgreen:

Hey, I take exception to that aspersion!   :o
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 02:05:21 PM »

It was one of Lightyears...!

Sodding was not...! It was Kenny's...!

Err.... you potentially misunderstood my banter, my Lord... Whilst surrounded by an illustrious display of luthierian implements, the last thing you would want within your gallery of crafting wonders, would be a tool ...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2014, 01:13:59 PM »
Not to worry Kenny, I knew you were using the personification of the word "tool."  My attempt at reciprocal and equally jovial humor kinda fell flat!  I guess I'll never get that comedy show I've always dreamed of!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »
I knew that ol' bud... and in the same vein... there's nothing funny about your workmanship... :mrgreen:

:popcorn:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
I knew that ol' bud... and in the same vein... there's nothing funny about your workmanship... :mrgreen:

:popcorn:

Thanks for posting the pythons bit, I sure do miss them!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 07:49:36 AM »
Decided to try a different pin router attachment.  This one is a bit easier to set up than my old one.  It only costs $49, very reasonable.

The little remote control is to turn my dust vac on and off.  Really handy!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:09:40 PM by drbassman »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »
Decided to try a different pin pouter attachment.  This one is a bit easier to set up than my old one.  It only costs $49, very reasonable.

Is that the one sold by Eagle America and MLCS? The pin and arm are rigid enough not to flex while thick hardwood is being routed beneath?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
Yep, that's the one.  I don't notice a flexing problem with the tests I did today.  My old one would flex if I pushed against the pin too hard.  I think this one is more rigid than my old one.  The key really is to glide against the pin, not just jam it against it tightly.  It's a matter of touch and practice.

The key issues is set up.  Getting the pin EXACTLY over the bit takes patience and several attempts.  It took me about 15-20 minutes  and a couple redos to get it set the way I wanted.  Now, it works perfectly.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
Thanks, Bill. So many projects planned for this year, don't know if I'll get the shop up and working, but that looks like a worthy addition.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2014, 07:24:21 AM »
Thanks, Bill. So many projects planned for this year, don't know if I'll get the shop up and working, but that looks like a worthy addition.

I hear ya, it took me a year to get it organized with everything else I had going on.  I used the pin attachment last night and it worked just fine.  I prefer it over my old one.  For once, a nice little tool that didn't cost an arm and leg!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »
Debris clearing kit... fit a narrowing nozzle that flares downward towards the cutter and it should increase the suction and clear more dust...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2014, 07:01:24 AM »
Debris clearing kit... fit a narrowing nozzle that flares downward towards the cutter and it should increase the suction and clear more dust...

Ah yes, I should use the Bernoulli effect to my advantage.  I have to get out to the barn, I think I have some attachments there that will fit.  It's been too darn cold to venture out there!  Temps in the single digits for days.  Where's that damn global warming when you need it?   :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2014, 07:11:18 AM »
OK. I got the bendable wood and it is weird for sure.  I got a couple sample pieces thrown in to practice with and here's the verdict.  Yes, you can ben this stuff by hand.  A tight radius is more challenging and needs some work.  I found that prebending with the end in a vice worked well.

The horns on my bass requiring some kerfing and the wood responded well to that.  I also tried just taking some material off with my sanding drum as Chris suggested, but the bending was more uneven and less predictable.  I set up my bandsaw with a piece of wood clamped next to the blade to conrol depth of cut and it's working pretty good now.  The trick will be making all of the bends, clamping it into place and then drying it.  If time permits, I'll probably try an entire length to see how it goes.  It's not sot flexible you can bend it like a noodle, but with some muscle, it will do what you want.

If it is too much work and results aren't what I expect, I won't stick with it.  Right now, I hope it works out, I like the idea of a more traditional hollow body design.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2014, 12:21:48 PM »
A couple of observations:  I think you may have to drill your forms to utilize bar clamps for the whole thing and since the wood is still wet you have you considered what long term exposure to your masonite forms might do?  Maybe seal them really well with polyurethane?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
A couple of observations:  I think you may have to drill your forms to utilize bar clamps for the whole thing and since the wood is still wet you have you considered what long term exposure to your masonite forms might do?  Maybe seal them really well with polyurethane?

Actually, the wood isn't wet, it's been plasticized by the compression process and is totally dry to the touch.  While it is bendable, it is not damp or soft.  Bending it takes some muscle/force, but it does work.  My problem will be the horns.  If I can't get the radius I need, I may not be able to use this product.