Author Topic: A new challenge  (Read 52296 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: A new challenge
« Reply #270 on: December 30, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
You're right, definitely apples and oranges.  Have to A/B them in the same bass same position or have a pup guy scope them to find out.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 30, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
I assume that the pseudo-mudbucker in my Epi Elitist EB-3 is an Arctec or something similar, it mimics a mudbucker sound - a mockbucker -, but its no way near the original in rawness and hoarseness and - alas! - unevenness of string to string output, it's just too well-behaved even in the neck position. But its not the TB Plus sound of the SG RI Mockbucker either. All these modern pups attempting to better on the mudbucker since DiMarzio Model 1 days are - for better or worse - stable horses compared to the wild mustang an old Gibson mudbucker is. Overwound is like cubic inches in an engine, you can fake your way around it, but it's not the real thing.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #272 on: December 30, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
Construction wise the Artec looks exactly the same as the one in my 63 Newport.
The Artec mudbucker measures an impressive 29.7 Kohms. So I guess it safe to say it is overwound.
But it doesn't have the typical weak(er) E and G

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 30, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
I agree.   i think its a combination ofthe artec mock but more the position...It specs close so should sound similar just not as good.  case in point the bachbird versus the lull or an original.  I have an 70's eb3L with the pickup further back and it does not sound anything like my eb3 and ebo .  The other are short scale and all mahog so not apple to apples but still it sounds different.  I forgot -  is it the same pup as the one on the eb-2 bach?

This post made me put on Nantucket Sleighride.  That bass should be barking up a storm.  Felix's sound is so over the top....so perfect a compliment to leslie.....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:08:40 PM by jumbodbassman »
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #274 on: December 31, 2010, 02:45:14 AM »
 I forgot -  is it the same pup as the one on the eb-2 bach?

No it isn't. The mudbucker from the BaCH EB2 only has one magnet per side. The Artec (and original Gibson) has two magnets per side.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 31, 2010, 04:10:50 AM »
I assume that the pseudo-mudbucker in my Epi Elitist EB-3 is an Arctec or something similar, it mimics a mudbucker sound - a mockbucker -, but its no way near the original in rawness and hoarseness and - alas! - unevenness of string to string output, it's just too well-behaved even in the neck position. But its not the TB Plus sound of the SG RI Mockbucker either. All these modern pups attempting to better on the mudbucker since DiMarzio Model 1 days are - for better or worse - stable horses compared to the wild mustang an old Gibson mudbucker is. Overwound is like cubic inches in an engine, you can fake your way around it, but it's not the real thing.

Unlike the Artec, both the Epi Elite Mockbucker and the TB-Plus have only one magnet per side ........  ;D
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #276 on: December 31, 2010, 04:36:25 AM »
Thank you Martin. This confirms the Artec is the closest to the real thing you can find on the market these days.
Even closer than the Epi Elitist.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #277 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:34 AM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #278 on: December 31, 2010, 05:42:57 AM »
Haha, for that kind of money you can buy two original Mudbuckers (and nine Artecs!).

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #279 on: December 31, 2010, 06:55:53 AM »
Thank you Martin. This confirms the Artec is the closest to the real thing you can find on the market these days.
Even closer than the Epi Elitist.
You didn't specify price.
Haha, for that kind of money you can buy two original Mudbuckers (and nine Artecs!).

Generally not a pre '67 mudbucker.  Novak's price seems reasonable to me for a pup built to original specs or custom wound to yours.

As has been discussed the Artecs  merely LOOK like mudbuckers, magnets are different, etc.  If looks are what is important to the buyer, no problem.  Sound wise they are different and it can be proven objectively with the right test equipment.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #280 on: December 31, 2010, 07:21:46 AM »
You didn't specify price. Generally not a pre '67 mudbucker.  Novak's price seems reasonable to me for a pup built to original specs or custom wound to yours.

As has been discussed the Artecs  merely LOOK like mudbuckers, magnets are different, etc.  If looks are what is important to the buyer, no problem.  Sound wise they are different and it can be proven objectively with the right test equipment.

Hmmm ... I don't know Carlo. Looks like you're somewhat partial to the USA made Novak pickups. Is that chauvinism? Why is 190 dollar a reasonable price when the Artec cost only 20?? :o

The Artec don't just look like mudbuckers. They are. Maybe not 100% alike. But I'd say at least 95%. Whereas the other mockbuckers in the market aren't even close.
Artecs are available with ceramic magnets or with AlNiCo5 magnets. Most you see on Ebay are ceramic. But I ordered it straight at the factory; it has AlNiCo5 magnets. Like the original.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #281 on: December 31, 2010, 08:18:14 AM »
Hmmm ... I don't know Carlo. Looks like you're somewhat partial to the USA made Novak pickups. Is that chauvinism? Why is 190 dollar a reasonable price when the Artec cost only 20?? :o

The Artec don't just look like mudbuckers. They are. Maybe not 100% alike. But I'd say at least 95%. Whereas the other mockbuckers in the market aren't even close.
Artecs are available with ceramic magnets or with AlNiCo5 magnets. Most you see on Ebay are ceramic. But I ordered it straight at the factory; it has AlNiCo5 magnets. Like the original.

Re the price differential, Novak is acknowledged to build quality, authentic sounding stuff.  Chauvinism?  I don't own an American bass I haven't built newer than a '67.  Everything else is Asian with the exception of the 2 Czechs.

Have to admit I do not know how the sound of a $20 Artec Mockbucker (please don't lecture me as to what a mudbucker is) compares to a 1960's Gibson.  I do know how an Artec 'chrome' soapbar compares soundwise to a 60's Thunderbird pup.  I can only hope that their mudbucker is a closer simulation.  But for less than $20 who cares?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 31, 2010, 09:28:13 AM »
Part of what you're paying for with someone like Novak is his expertise at recreating the original sound. That's not to say that his is 100% accurate or that Artec's aren't. I haven't heard either.

In either case, looking like the same construction and having similar specs ought to at least get you close, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the real deal.

I realize Artec's labor costs are dirt cheap, but at those prices I do wonder what grade of magnets and magnet wire they use. These are commodities, e.g. even a big mass producer can't buy magnet wire for less than the price of copper. I don't see how they could be using the same type of 42awg as Gibson did to get that 30K resistance reading and still retail the pickups at that price. OTOH they could get the same reading by using fewer turns of a finer wire with thinner insulation. Only way to find out is to have one analyzed by someone with enough knowledge.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #283 on: December 31, 2010, 10:10:52 AM »
Well said, Dave.

Novak has a page on his site where he takes apart an Asian LP pup and shows the difference between it and one of his.  Then he rebuilds it to his spec.  Very informative.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 31, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM