Author Topic: Lemmy passes away  (Read 6868 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmy passes away
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 02:18:47 PM »
No need to sneak: If there's a heaven, there must be a cloud with gun belts, studs, leather, cowboy boots in bad taste, carved up Rics, a mic stand too high, kläSSy World War II memorabilia as well as some alcohol and speed for the now late son of a vicar too. His drummer is already there waiting. The Dear Lord in his grace welcomes the righteous, not the self-righteous.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:41:56 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 02:42:05 PM »
If there is one if would go there as later as possible having with me my Fender Jazz, my EB-0 and a lot of friends to play it LOUD!
Thanks Lemmy for the music, inspiration and for the fierce force given to me when I was lost in Poland
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »
TMZ reports that he died at home while playing a video game, and that he had just been diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer only two days ago.

70th birthday on Christmas Eve, diagnosed on the 26th, dies on the 28th. You have to wonder if all his other health problems masked the cancer.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 02:20:49 AM »
I consider that "late diagnosis, almost immediate death" a white lie, he probably knew a long time ahead and his "health and stamina problems" could not be explained with his diabetes (which he had suffered for a long time). I guess he didn't want to do a "Wilko Johnson" (the ex-Dr Feelgood guitarist who had a large, supposedly incurable tumor in his abdomen, refused treatment, did a final tour and suddenly had the cancer disappear on a wave of empathy from fans, peers and public alike) with the wider public waiting with bated breath whether he survives or not.

There was a recent, very personal interview with him in the Classic Rock mag that was already very solemn and morose in tone and basically a way of him saying good-bye to the scribe (he had befriended some decades ago). When I read that and saw the pics, I had a feeling of obituary time.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:38:12 AM by uwe »

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 03:36:58 AM »
Diagnosis is just giving something a name, If the cancer is a rare type or a small one in a critical place you can be ill for quite a while before the Docs can definitively say what it is. Lemmy has clearly been ill for some time, I think the two days between diagnosis and death is likely an artifact of the discovery process

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 03:40:28 AM »
I find the words to this really profound now

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 09:29:33 AM »
i looked up johnson because i thought he had died long ago, or was that big figure i'm thinking of. anyway, he did indeed have cancer and had much of his insides removed along with a 3kg tumor. currently in recovery i wish him the best. i loved dr. feelgood.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 10:02:09 AM »
Hey Nofi, you're a man of surprises, such a perennially European band, they never made it beyond opening act in the US (inter alia ill-paired with Kiss)!

And I thought you thought Dr Feelgood was a Mötley Crüe album. Shame, shame, shame - shame on me.

To me, the Feelgoods

are a bit the less glamourous, less exalted, dry-hardened version of Boston's finest (nope, not The Cars and not Aerosmith or Boston):

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:09:38 AM by uwe »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
i prefer the early,'blacker' version of j. geils.

"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 01:02:08 PM »
70th birthday on Christmas Eve, diagnosed on the 26th, dies on the 28th. You have to wonder if all his other health problems masked the cancer.

Most certainly Dave.
That and a rigid Wodka & Speed diet.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »
i prefer the early,'blacker' version of j. geils.

I'm fine with the early material too. They were a shit-hot band live. Sanctuary remains my favourite album though. Discounting the live ones which had their own special charm. I like the Peter Wolf solo stuff too.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »
This is the Wilko article I read this summer ‘I can’t get my head around the idea that I’ve got a future’

Too many guys around my age passing or in dire health. Really hit home last year. I was never a Tull fan but when Glenn Cornick died last year of congestive heart failure, I noticed that we were born on the same day. Two weeks later I was in the hospital with a heart attack and kidney crisis.

And then there was Lee Brilleaux who didn't even make it to 42.

Lee and Wilko in action.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
     I count him as a friend, we only meet once spent most of the day together when he came to The House Of Guitars in '86 for a meet and greet. It was my job to keep him on point and in Heineken. We did the in store, I hung out for sound check, the show and afterwards. he treated me like he had know me all his life. We had marvelous discussions about Marshalls, Thunderbirds "those muddy things", Rickenbackers and The Battle Of Britain. I smile every time I see him in a House of Guitars T shirt. R.I P. Lemmy
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
   Me in the same House of Guitars T shirt that Lemmy is often pictured in. This came out in '86, same year I meet him.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Oh my, Scott, that is a blast from the past! Incidentally: Any band YOU PLAY IN always has the bass louder than everything else!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: