Author Topic: I hesitate to post this. $45 Thunderbird pickups.  (Read 48990 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: I hesitate to post this. $45 Thunderbird pickups.
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
Oh man, I wanna go back to Scotland so bad... what a beautiful country. I never got up north, only Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the Isle of Arran.

The difference in regional accent between Edinburgh and Glasgow was surprising to my American ears: Edinburgh sounded like American English with a few odd vowels thrown in;  Glasgow ... everyone I met seemed so friendly, but I was constantly embarrassed by not understanding a word anyone said!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »
That's a very successful clip. I think I understood a total of two words!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
Oh man, I wanna go back to Scotland so bad... what a beautiful country. I never got up north, only Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the Isle of Arran.

The difference in regional accent between Edinburgh and Glasgow was surprising to my American ears: Edinburgh sounded like American English with a few odd vowels thrown in;  Glasgow ... everyone I met seemed so friendly, but I was constantly embarrassed by not understanding a word anyone said!

Try the Doric up in NE Scotland for size sometime - twenty different words for tractor and fifty different words for drunk ;)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

mrb327

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
I presume this Gent is known to some of you reprobates...?

Welcome, Stranger in a not so Strange Land... :mrgreen:
Thank you kind Sir, glad to be here!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2016, 05:57:30 AM »
I loved it!  So now I know what some my ancestors sounded like.   ;D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2016, 03:11:03 PM »
Hmm white mcsettler, ya wee sassenach...  :mrgreen:

Used to converse with an old soldier who lived in Peterculter who was fluent in Doric... helped me out no end with my Chindit research...

And as for Uwe's comment he closer than you might think, as the reason my family ended up Hebridean was due to being on the wrong side of a wee battle that took place in 1746, not being very far from where I sit and those men in Red wanting to separate the head from the shoulders of my ancestor, amongst several other nasty things first...

I've always perceived myself to be of Island descent and I know what's in my heart... my nationality is just an accident of birth, unless anyone wants to think of Spike Milligan or Cliff Richards as being Indian, as that's where they were both born... :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
Reminds me of a holiday I had in a place called Gardenstown when I was a kid. Gardenstown is pronounced 'Gamerie by the locals, and the neighbouring fishing village of Crovie was pronounced everything from 'Crivvie' to 'Crowvie' by the locals there; it changed depending on who you asked.

I went for a walk with my father one evening and passed by two old men speaking broad Doric, sitting on a bench. They looked up at us and said an entire sentence of something. Neither of us understood a word, so mumbled our good evenings and went on our way.

I'm quite pleased to see the 'Taysiders in Space' video posted up on here, complete with the correct title. I've seen copies of that called anything from "Irish Star Trek" to "Glasgow Star Trek". I work next to a Taysider, and some of the jokes are lost on her. I guess the overall joke is that Taysiders are seen as somewhat backward and parochial in nature. Some of the slang may be wide of the mark even. "Set phasers to Malky" refers to the slang term Malky (Malcolm Frazer, aka razor) which is more Glaswegian than anything.

Ye’ve hee-haw chance o getting’ yer hole, yer an android, ye’ve kak all nob!

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2016, 03:33:07 AM »
Just got my first 8K. Very impressed - it looks and sounds awfully close. Pickup ring is a little off compared to '60s originals (corners being more squared) but that's a minor point. Awesome deal on these.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
Just got my 9.2k - received it before the 8ks, which were ordered a week earlier. :o
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »
Heid loppit richt aff!  Tatties ower the side!

I toured a lot with an act where, band and crew, I  was the only non Glaswegian, so I got pretty good at unnerstannin it, but there always came a point , about 4 pints into the afterparty/busride that I was suddenly in a room full of people talking a foreign language ...

The same band, the singer lived down here so we used to fly up to Glasgow together from Gatwick before heading off wherever, and His accent used to get progressively thicker as the plane  got closer to Scotland.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »
After a month, they finally found the first pup I ordered stuck in the Chinese mail system.  They got it back yesterday and are resending it!  Should be interesting to see how long it takes.  In the meantime, I ordered two 9.2s and they came in a couple days as I paid extra for DHL. 
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »
After a month, they finally found the first pup I ordered stuck in the Chinese mail system.  They got it back yesterday and are resending it!  Should be interesting to see how long it takes.  In the meantime, I ordered two 9.2s and they came in a couple days as I paid extra for DHL.

I feel your pain, Doc. My 8ks are being re-sent as well. When they didn't show up yesterday, I politely jumped in their doo-doo. Apparently, the pickup magnets sometimes mess with the scanners at ChinaPost and they get kicked back to the mfr. At least that's the story I got. Strange that both yours and my own 9.2ks sailed right through without a problem...
I'm putting my tinfoil hat on.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2016, 02:42:43 AM »
My pickups (an 8 and a 9.2 k) didn't show up this week so I emailed yesterday. Apparently "the package was missing by here DHL office", so it will be resent today. I paid extra for faster shipping.  :o

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2016, 04:52:35 AM »
  My 9.2ks showed up yesterday!  More to follow!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Johnny Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2016, 11:02:52 AM »
Second order of 9.2's are working their way from New York to Texas now, "regular" shipping.
If you are truly interested in the truth, start by turning off the television.