Author Topic: Last In Line  (Read 4195 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
Re: Last In Line
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
no MP3ed it fine
cheers

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 10:31:35 PM »
Uwe, I'm disappointed! A whole retrospective of Jimmy's career but nothing from his tenure with your landsman, Mandy Lion?  :mrgreen:

I remember meeting Mandy when he was fresh off the boat and watching him form his first band in the U.S. with a friend of mine. He's an interesting fellow.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 08:36:18 AM »
For the simple reason of being totally unaware of it!!! I was busy trying to find footage of Jimmy when he played with Ian Hunter's Overnight Angels immediately after being kicked out of Rainbow (and before the Wild Horses), but couldn't find anything.

Mandy is no Klaus Meine, das muss man sagen.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 09:41:37 AM »
A former drummer of mine played briefly with Mandy Lion around 2002. A lot of unfulfilled promises were made. I kind of looked into his history at the time and found him often complaining that Don Dokken stole his look. He also likes large dogs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »
That guy makes Don Dokken sound like Pavarotti.

If you want to be U.D.O., then at least do it right, Himmel!

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 12:38:17 PM »
For the simple reason of being totally unaware of it!!! I was busy trying to find footage of Jimmy when he played with Ian Hunter's Overnight Angels immediately after being kicked out of Rainbow (and before the Wild Horses), but couldn't find anything.

Did he play with Hunter live?

After Rainbow he toured with John Cale and plays on his "Animal Justice" EP which is great.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
A former drummer of mine played briefly with Mandy Lion around 2002. A lot of unfulfilled promises were made. I kind of looked into his history at the time and found him often complaining that Don Dokken stole his look.

Unfulfilled promises sounds familiar. And he was ready to kick Hugh Jackman's ass around the time Van Helsing was released.

He also likes large dogs.

Yes. He discovered Molossers some time in the 90's and I think he decided they were more manly than Foozle, the toy poodle he had when I met him. Foozle was pretty cool though, I must admit.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 10:06:43 PM »
For the simple reason of being totally unaware of it!!!
Mandy is no Klaus Meine, das muss man sagen.

Well, to be fair, Hollywood Records did not shift many units of the WWIII album...

And yes, I would say that.  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 07:29:56 AM »
Did he play with Hunter live?

After Rainbow he toured with John Cale and plays on his "Animal Justice" EP which is great.

I believe so. There was an interview snippet in the NME according to which Jimmy was "digging every minute" with the Overnight Angels, this must have been around the time when 'Unter opened for ELO in the UK and said in an interview something along the lines of "we'll kill them unless they mess with our sound or the lights" to which the manager of ELO (Don Arden?) wrote an enraged letter stating that "Mir Hunter will receive all the sound and light he requires, yet still not measure up to ELO who - unlike him - conquered America ... etc". It was probably a publicity spoof. I sure wouldn't mind hearing an Ian Hunter/Jeff Lynne songwriting combination though! Hunter wouldn't have been out of place with the Travelling Willburys.

This kind of fits the occasion, Joe Elliott is a Mott the Hoople/Mott/British Lions/Ian Hunter-nut ...