Author Topic: Great new app!  (Read 2225 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Great new app!
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Great new app!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »
LOL!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »
I'm thinkin' someone behind this REALLY hates Nickelback. But it's funny!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:40:03 PM »
There's a lot of Nickelback hate out there. To me, they're just another nauseating pop band with soaring vocals in the same vein as Journey. Poking fun at them is harmless.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:21:08 AM »
I'm neutral as regards these Cannucks, but the comparison with Journey is far-fetched, Dave! To me, Nickelback are - to coin a phrase - stadium rock with a grunge streak (sort of a one night stand bastard out of Bon Jovi and the Foo Fighters plus bit of Metallica thrown in), only their mass appeal fits the Journey comparison. To me, Nickelback are more like Grand Funk (Railroad) were in the 70ies, crowd pleasers and hard-working, but not really a rock band you can "take serious". For whatever reason. I always thought that Grand Funk was a fine band back then, they had their own groove and I liked Farner's and Brewer's vocals (not everyone did!) but they had zero recognition in the press.

With Nickelback, I give them credit that they have forged a sound that is not just Chad Kroeger's acquired taste-vocals, but also the general "monolithicness" (the Metallica ingredient) of their sound. They come on the radio and after a few seconds you know it is them, that forward-marching slight stiffness in their playing. I wonder whether - like Grand Funk - Nickelback will one day see a reappreciation?

When they first made waves in Germany with this here

in 2001 it was still cool to like them: All the guys into Pearl Jam and Soundgarden with - sigh! - drop-D-tuned guitars heralded them as this amazing new little band (I believe they already had three albums out by then), but somewhere along the way they fell out of favor. Kroeger's lyrics are idiotic sexist/misogynist, but since when has that ever hampered anybody's recognition? I mean even Avril didn't mind (though - if the magazines are to be believed - she now finds poor Chad failing in the "sustained satisfying marital sex"-department)!

Dave mentioned Journey.  ;D He really did, read his post again if you don't believe me. That warrants celebration in no uncertain terms: What a kick-ass uplifting song that was (and is!) and sans dropped-D-tuning too, but you're right Dave soaring vocals to boot ...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:36:42 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »

Journey's got it all over Nickelback.....
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »
Seriously? You guys are comparing Nickelback to Journey and Grand Funk? I'm not a Journey fan by any stretch ('cept maybe the songs Greg Rolie sang), but I don't see the correlation between their white-bread whinging and Kroeger's flannel-tongued moaning and groaning. Both can become a little, er, insistent at times, but that aside...
...and GFR??? Yes, they were a workingman's (American) Band, but Mark, Don and Mel turned out at least two bona fide classics - something that has eluded Nickelback thus far. Critics, bah! Who needs 'em?
As an aside, Uwe, what's wrong with sexist lyrics? Even if they ARE idiotic, they (and the suspended chord) are pretty much the foundation of rock-n-roll.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:47:26 AM »
uwe mentioned stadium rock once again. is this the rock star goal to aspire to or a german fever dream. frankly, anyone who can fill a stadium i'm not interested in.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
Geez, guys, it's a humor video. That's all.

No amount of analysis will get me to click on Nickelback or Journey videos. They both fall in to the "turn it off, make it stop!" category for me. YMMV of course.

I don't see any remote comparison of either to GFRR other than the fact that all three have been popular.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »
If we didn't react semi-irrationally to things, this place wouldn't be no fun, Dave! ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 05:27:41 PM »
Leeeet's do the tiiime warp agaaain!
( Rocky Horror semi-irrational humor.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 05:50:44 PM »
Um, what, no Bachman Turner Overdrive comparisons?  :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 07:07:46 AM »
BTO were great in a brainless way. Nothing wrong with that.

The only common strain of GFR, Journey and Nickelback is huge popularity and zero critical recognition in their prime, that is was what I tried to point out.

Nofi, "stadium rock" is a derogatory term of Herr Westheimer. He used it first with The Holy Immaculate Deep Purple many moons (or moans) ago. Personally, I hate stadium concerts and try to avoid them where I can. My favorite venues are large clubs to small halls, the 500-4.000 people range. I consider that to be the ideal location for a good rock concert. And I prefer halls that are wider than long - they guarantee the best acoustics for heavy metal/heavy rock gigs.

Stadiums are for playing sports. Or for Austrians - we had one of those, no returns please.

And I don't mind sexual or sex-themed or even sexist  lyrics if they are funny:

Or at least heartfelt:

Or have some tongue in cheek bravado:

This is none of the above. It is achingly inane. No heart, no wit, no charm, no bravado, no tongue in cheek (just around imagined Canadian dicks), bludgeoningly idiotic.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:28:47 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
What, no Loverboy arena videos?  :P

I sure didn't invent the term. Stadium or arena rock has been used for many years.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »