Author Topic: So I finally succumbed to it and bought one.  (Read 1652 times)

Blazer

So I finally succumbed to it and bought one.
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:15:43 PM »
Well to be honest with you guys I wasn't really into modelling amps and that hype that was surrounding the thing. But having used my Line 6 Toneport interface and Gearbox moddeling software has been a very helpful tool in me recording songs and demos for songs for my band.

Add to the fact that I saw a lot of Line 6 hardware being used in studios and on stage, I had to admit that the resulting sounds those people who were using them were getting also helped me into believing that the hype was based on solid evidence rather than just hot air on it being "The next big thing"

So when I went to the Musicstore in Cologne Germany last week, with every intention to buy myself a Gibson melody Maker and with enough money in my pocket to actually do so, I quickly got side tracked and instead decided to check out that jellybean shaped box of wonders that everybody is getting so crazy about. The POD.

And as luck would have it, they had a second hand example for sale. But not just any second hand POD, that particullar POD was one of THESE.

A POD mk2 in limited edition Chrome, for only 90 bucks. To make a long story short, 90 bucks later it was mine.

Today I took it to the band rehearsal and I was blown away by the sound I got when plugging it into the desk. It sounded so convincing that I had to make sure that I really wasn't playing the Marshall halfstack of the rehearsal room. The others were equally impressed, our sound guy said that this would make recording sessions for our first album so much easier, no miking needed, no need for bringing in different amps for different timbres.

The only naggles I have with the POD is that it takes away the interaction between guitar and amp, you can't let it howl in feedback like and amp does, and the tiny black letters on the Chromed surface are a bitch to read.

So I am planning to take my POD on the road and to use it as my back up should my amp die on me, it has proven itself a helpful tool and it gives me an opportunity to set some money aside to buy myself a fender tweed amp.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: So I finally succumbed to it and bought one.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »
Nice score!

A friend of mine uses his POD with a tube amp and he has some nice sounds with it.

You didn't bought the Melodymaker?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »

Nice score on that! You'll love it  ;D

I have this Line6 pedal, I absolutely love it! I've only scratched the surface of what it can, but it really comes in handy for me because I use all my basses regularly. I use one model, in my case an Acoustic 360 and copy it over for each of my basses, equeing each individually for volume, tone and effects, it makes changing basses at a show a breeze! Fantastic pedal!     

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:12:45 PM »
I have the pod x3 live, and I love the thing.  It was an impulse buy that I didn't really think out.  I don't think I've ever used it on stage, but at home just farting around, or for recording, it's awesome!  I'm still trying to get used to the modulation effects, I truly think they are the weak point of this thing (but that really could be my own inexperience showing through). 

Good score, they're tons of fun.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:24 AM »
I'm thinking about the new Pod Studio for a USB interface.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 05:18:10 AM »
Nice score on that! You'll love it  ;D

I have this Line6 pedal, I absolutely love it! I've only scratched the surface of what it can, but it really comes in handy for me because I use all my basses regularly. I use one model, in my case an Acoustic 360 and copy it over for each of my basses, equeing each individually for volume, tone and effects, it makes changing basses at a show a breeze! Fantastic pedal!     

I've been considering getting one of these. Glad to see you're pleased with it, Mark!
Would you mind elaborating on how else you're using it?

Anyone else got more info on 'em?