Author Topic: Incoming Hamer...Slammer  (Read 10969 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Incoming Hamer...Slammer
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:27:34 AM »
I jumped on this 95% for the case.  I'm pretty sure it will fit my 1960 EBO which has been living in a Fender Electric 12 case since '73, long after the cardboard OEM disintegrated. I've been looking for a decent replacement ever since.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Incoming Hamer...Slammer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
I like that!  Both tasteful and gaudy.

And a nice case, as noted.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »
I like that!  Both tasteful and gaudy.

And a nice case, as noted.

The only thing I don't like about the bass is the pickups look too wide to be easily replaced.  Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
Didn't Herr Blades of my favorite AOR band Night Ranger always play these (and still does)?

My, Jack could jump around a bit and that tasty bare chest of Herr Gillis ...  ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:53:14 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Tasteful case. If you keep the bass, you'll have to do something about the Clownburst.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »
Tasteful case. If you keep the bass, you'll have to do something about the Clownburst.

I seriously doubt I'll keep it.  It's photoflame...besides any chance it has Night Ranger cooties on it, I'm not gonna even touch it.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 05:20:28 PM »
Pickups are approx. 4 1/16" by 1 3/8" so not a standard size of any other 4 string pickup I can think of. They don't sound bad, at least not for the $50 I have into the bass. Seems like a couple people at the Hamer forum actually use the stock version of the bass to perform with.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »
Pickups are approx. 4 1/16" by 1 3/8" so not a standard size of any other 4 string pickup I can think of. They don't sound bad, at least not for the $50 I have into the bass. Seems like a couple people at the Hamer forum actually use the stock version of the bass to perform with.

Thanks for the info, Andy!  Just a little wider than the width of a ThunderBucker with ring so that makes it interesting.

A few years ago they were going for around $100 on Ebay IIRC but lately they've been more expensive.  I paid $215  BIN including shipping.  The case is worth at least $100 to me so the whole deal isn't bad, keep the bass or not.  I'd been wanting to get my hands on one for a while.

If I get really adventurous there's always the possibility of a shorty Eighter attempt.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »
I just got lucky with mine. It was an eBay deal from a local kid so I bought it and met him to pick it up. At the time there was another auction for one for like $180 I believe. I think you did good considering it has a nice case with it. I think a person of your talent could turn it into something really special  8)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 06:56:01 PM »
I just got lucky with mine. It was an eBay deal from a local kid so I bought it and met him to pick it up. At the time there was another auction for one for like $180 I believe. I think you did good considering it has a nice case with it. I think a person of your talent could turn it into something really special  8)

Thanks, Andy.  Funny thing is, I hadn't had a bass order since the end of January and now I have 4 in the last two weeks, including a 3 pickup NR 12er.  So I don't have a lot of time for personal projects.  I'm not complaining!

marcnorth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »
Jacks basses are 32" scale set neck, those imports are 30" scale with a bolt on neck. Back when you could still order one from Hamer USA they priced out about $3000 street. I've had 5 of them and still have 2. My first Blades was one like the one in the above video that was made for him for that 85 tour, it was lavender with fuscia  painted bevels and the same white hardware. Wish I still had it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:19:38 PM by marcnorth »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 03:17:44 AM »

Hey, that does make it a period piece. Don't always try to erase history. Or fins no longer in line with prevailing tastes!  :)

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:45:57 AM »
Can't get too sentimental about a $100 bass, Uwe.  A blue transparent toner spray job would turn that photo flame sunburst into a Jade/Purple Burst.  That might be cool, it would definitely be quick.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:23:59 AM »
Can't get too sentimental about a $100 bass, Uwe.  A blue transparent toner spray job would turn that photo flame sunburst into a Jade/Purple Burst.  That might be cool, it would definitely be quick.

Do it!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 10:52:28 AM »
It's a shame there aren't more of the Hamer USA doublecut 4-strings around.  Most of the ones in circulation probably did originate from Blades!  Had it not been for Marcus, I'd still be on the hunt for mine...

Those little Slammer imports are actually a lot of fun!  I spent some time with the one Andy bought... very decent build, and it plays well and sounds massive.  That would be a mean little bass with some Thunderbuckers  8)