Author Topic: Quite breaking news - Gibson Bass Line Up 2016  (Read 31144 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Quite breaking news - Gibson Bass Line Up 2016
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
I agree, Gretsch and most hollow basses are acquired tastes.  You can bump some of the music and highs up with the right strings and EQ.  It is hard to make them sound as aggressive as any TB or jazz bass.  But that's ok.  I still love the sound of the TJ and Briadkaster thru my Mesa M Puse amp.  I can get plenty of clear cut through the mix noise sound as I need.

In fact, I'm still open to buying more HB basses!

You, sir, have excellent taste!   8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
I believe the TB and the SG Bass will remain iconic stayers  and consistent, if moderate sellers in the catalogue. Everything else will eventually go and new things tried which will - inevitably and not always a fault of Gibson - fail. The world seems largely happy with TBirds and SGs.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 02:34:53 PM »
If you think about it, narrow down the basic models and what have you got...

1st Division: Precision, Jazz, Ricky, Thunderbird, SG... and in that order...

Everything else, and I mean everything, is 2nd string, and SG is nearly there too... yes, okay, Explorer and EB2 (style) float around the periphery, but what else is up there...

Discuss... or not...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
Pretty much hasn't changed in 40 to 50 years

except that the second string and third string basses are much more playable nowdays

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
If it ain't broke rule applies...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
Since musicians are heavily oriented to instruments with proven popularity, it doesn't seem that difficult an idea for Gibson to get a focus group together or otherwise poll musicians about what features and models they prefer - then build them. 

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 06:44:56 PM »
Since musicians are heavily oriented to instruments with proven popularity, it doesn't seem that difficult an idea for Gibson to get a focus group together or otherwise poll musicians about what features and models they prefer - then build them.

Heretic!  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 12:11:46 AM »
The world seems largely happy with TBirds and SGs.

...mostly made by Epiphone.  What ARE the most recent yearly numbers of  those produced by Gibson USA?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 07:27:44 AM »
...mostly made by Epiphone.  What ARE the most recent yearly numbers of  those produced by Gibson USA?

Since CMI sold to Norlin have they ever published unit sales? Of course cheaper models have always way outsold the more expensive ones. In the 50s the Juniors and Specials consistently outsold the LP Standards by about 8 to 1. I'd guess Epi basses outsell Gibsons by at least that much.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
In the 50s the Juniors and Specials consistently outsold the LP Standards by about 8 to 1. I'd guess Epi basses outsell Gibsons by at least that much.

Judging by the Thunderbird Club thread on TB, online GC offerings of used, and Ebay listings I'd guess at least 25 to one.  Probably quite a bit more.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Judging by the Thunderbird Club thread on TB, online GC offerings of used, and Ebay listings I'd guess at least 25 to one.  Probably quite a bit more.

I think you're right Carlo - I guess Epi is disco'ing the white - makes no sense!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:39:01 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
I think he's Carlo too ;D

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 12:18:35 PM »

It would end up looking/sounding/feeling like a P bass, and they already did that long ago. It is an Epiphone Accu-bass, and with a little searching you can get one delivered to your door for less than $100. I bought one a month ago and love it.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
I think he's Carlo too ;D

I should never post when I'm at work......  :-\

My attention span is as short as that "other thing" I've got.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
I think you're right Carlo - I guess Epi is disco'ing the white - makes no sense!

Yeah, I don't understand that one.