Author Topic: New Gibson Line announced  (Read 1556 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
New Gibson Line announced
« on: August 08, 2015, 04:08:46 AM »
I think this is still a secret, but Gibson will anounce a new guitar and bass line soon. They bring back all/some the '2012' models as 'Traditional' or something like that, while the new guitars with zero fret and wide neck will go on as 'Performance' series. I don't know any details yet.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Re: New Gibson Line announced
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:29:19 AM »
Secret or no secret, they'll find a way to screw it up again.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:48:10 AM »
 :mrgreen:

Maybe they forget jack inputs this time. Or bend the headstock forwards.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 06:29:14 AM »
Sales of the 2015 models must have been extremely poor........... :o
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »
Maybe they forget jack inputs this time. Or bend the headstock forwards.

Wifi as standard...! :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:02:33 PM »
Sales of the 2015 models must have been extremely poor........... :o

No doubt, this is kind of like that whole "New Coke" thing...........
All the 2015 stuff will be very collectable in 2045.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 04:06:24 PM »
That soon...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
I've been told by two reliable sources that sales of the 2015 Gibson USA line have been disastrous. I mentioned at the tail end of another thread that they recently introduced two guitar models without the wide neck and zero fret. Still had the GForce though. This was about a month ago.

Now they've just introduced four new "Gibson SR" models through MF/Guitar Center without the GForce. SR stands for Sprint Run, whatever that means.

They're trying to salvage what they can from this year's disaster. I'll be surprised if they continue with the wide neck and zero fret. The GForce isn't going away but if they have any sense at all it won't be mandatory.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 05:02:21 AM »
Get their pricing and QC in control and they may sell a few units...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 06:16:16 AM »
Well, I guess where Gibbie Bass' are concerned, they can rely on at least one regular customer... :vader:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:40 AM »
Interesting - the SR models shown at Dave's link are all Les Pauls.

Gibson definitely doesn't strive to diversify its bass offerings.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »
Interesting - the SR models shown at Dave's link are all Les Pauls.

Gibson definitely doesn't strive to diversify its bass offerings.

Those four LPs are still 2015 models. And no doubt they're being issued to try to get some sales from people who rejected all the 2015 changes. Thankfully the basses never had the changes.

It's not too late to hope for more bass offerings for 2016. Don't hold your breath, though.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
The future I come from no longer exists.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »
That explains a lot.  I had no idea that Gibson owned those electronics companies, but they evidently provide a revenue stream that's the main support for the company.

Gibson can afford to mess up its guitar business to some degree and not lose the house on it. The side note in there about their application to trademark the 335 guitar is interesting.  If Fender couldn't manage it with the Strat, I doubt Gibson will make it with the 335.  Both have been copied endlessly.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »
That explains a lot.  I had no idea that Gibson owned those electronics companies, but they evidently provide a revenue stream that's the main support for the company.

Gibson can afford to mess up its guitar business to some degree and not lose the house on it. The side note in there about their application to trademark the 335 guitar is interesting.  If Fender couldn't manage it with the Strat, I doubt Gibson will make it with the 335.  Both have been copied endlessly.

You have to understand that this is a puff piece by the local paper. Its purpose is to make Gibson look good, especially in the face of all the bashing Henry has taken elsewhere. The electronics acquisitions are old news, I've mentioned most of them before here (e.g. the Gibson/TEAC Memory cable). They have controlling interest in TEAC/Tascam, not outright ownership, and IIRC most of the others are that way too.

No, they don't rely on the guitar business alone, but the company has been built on the reputation of Gibson guitars. If you piss away that reputation, the other electronics businesses may survive and even thrive, but no one will buy just because they're part of the Gibson family. Some folks may even avoid them in that case.

The company is finding out the hard way what happens when you force unwanted changes on your customer base. It's backfired terribly, and worse yet, many of those who bought anyway have found that the "improvements" don't work, e.g. problems with the zero fret nut and GForce. The only question now is whether Henry will see the handwriting on the wall.