Author Topic: Nuts, and zero frets, Oh my  (Read 2228 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re: Nuts, and zero frets, Oh my
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
I'm probably a heretic here, in that I don't notice tone as much as playability.  I like that a zero fret on a Hofner puts the nut at just the correct height.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
I mentioned in another thread that Gibson was responding to complaints about wear on its "zero fret nut" by offering a prototype replacement. A guy at the MLP forum has received his, and what a fail! It's some kind of casting. It's rough and has pits a couple of good size divots. Here's one of the pics he posted.

I wouldn't put anything like this on a $100 Squier, much less an expensive Gibson.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 06:48:26 AM »
Just when you think they couldn't do any worse.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
I mentioned in another thread that Gibson was responding to complaints about wear on its "zero fret nut" by offering a prototype replacement. A guy at the MLP forum has received his, and what a fail! It's some kind of casting. It's rough and has pits a couple of good size divots. Here's one of the pics he posted.

I wouldn't put anything like this on a $100 Squier, much less an expensive Gibson.

No surprise here - Gibson has proven that they have zero regard to Quality Control and certainly don't have any corporate culture that would begin to embrace it.  It's a top down thing and we know who is at the top.

For what they are charging for their new guitars they could easily machine, CNC anyone?, the part out of a high quality stainless alloy. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 09:31:24 PM »
No surprise here - Gibson has proven that they have zero regard to Quality Control and certainly don't have any corporate culture that would begin to embrace it.  It's a top down thing and we know who is at the top.

For what they are charging for their new guitars they could easily machine, CNC anyone?, the part out of a high quality stainless alloy.

Exactly. Even if the guitars were less expensive, with the quantity they sell, a CNC machined part couldn't make that much difference in raw cost.

I would forget the zero fret and replace the assembly with a regular nut made of bone or Tusq. You'd have to place the nut where the zero fret portion is, then sand or machine the area behind it to a lower height.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 05:16:26 AM »
That looks like something from a Danelectro bass, not a Gibson

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 05:48:04 AM »
That looks like something from a Danelectro bass, not a Gibson

The Danelectro castings are better than that!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 07:57:19 AM »
I agree-I've had 2 Longhorns, and the quality control was actually quite good on both.  Both played well out of the box.