Author Topic: Wilkinson Cloverleaf Tuners for 70s P/J - beware  (Read 1105 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Wilkinson Cloverleaf Tuners for 70s P/J - beware
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:52:25 PM »
I bought a set off eBay because at $35 they are half the price of similar Fender-logo tuners. The bushings are too large for a '75 neck. The seller responded, "I would check the peg head holes for any glue residue etc. they are supposed to be a tight fit and may require a clamp to press in. Been around vintage basses a long time and have sold lots of these and this is not a normal issue."

I didn't want to widen the peg holes in a vintage neck, and pressing the bushings in with a clamp could crack the headstock. Luckily I had a spare set of Fender bushings, and they fit perfectly. Just FYI, if you intend to buy a Wilkinson set.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Wilkinson Cloverleaf Tuners for 70s P/J - beware
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 06:27:03 AM »
Agreed - using clamps is a bad idea. I've read any number of reports about cracked headstocks from doing that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:39:42 AM »
Clamps (and wood cauls) are actually a good technique IF the bushings are properly sized.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »
I use Wilkinson gold clovers only because Gotoh doesn't make them in gold AFAIK.  The bushings are cast pot metal.  I ream the headstock holes to eliminate the possibility of cracking.

The Wilkinson screw hole pattern is also different from Fender/Gotoh.  So is the construction, they can be taken apart and converted to LH if necessary.  That's the only thing good I can say about them compared to Gotoh CBS style which are nickel like the originals. 

Wilkinsons are available from Eden USA for $8 each chrome, free US shipping.  $9 for gold plated.  The gold plating is better quality than the chrome.
http://www.edenguitars.com/wilkinson-open-frame-bass-tuner-tuning-peg-chome/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0