Author Topic: Strings for 5ths tuning  (Read 1637 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Strings for 5ths tuning
« on: July 26, 2008, 01:27:41 AM »
I'm thinking of tuning one of my basses to 5ths like a cello (CGDA), does anyone knows what strings should I use?
I will look to buy single strings, maybe a 120-90-60-30 set or something?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: Strings for 5ths tuning
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:17:14 AM »
I would find out what gauges are used on a cello and try to match them.  singles are a good idea and probably your best bet.  keep us posted!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:58:41 AM »
I did that once - here are the gauges I came up with:

30/40

I tuned a 4-string bass CGDA. I was going to do it again, this time DAEB, because it was a 32" scale bass and I didn't like the low C. It was definitely interesting though - minor 3rds are a PITA, but I was able to come up with some melodic stuff that I would never have thought of otherwise.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:39:15 AM »
I haven't played a cello in about 50 years (seriously) but IIRC low C on a cello is C2, i.e. two semitones beneath middle C. That would be C above the low E on a bass guitar, not below it. So why would you want a larger C string?

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:07:55 AM »
I haven't played a cello in about 50 years (seriously) but IIRC low C on a cello is C2, i.e. two semitones beneath middle C. That would be C above the low E on a bass guitar, not below it. So why would you want a larger C string?

Good point - I can't speak for exiledarchangel, but I personally wasn't trying to turn my bass into a cello, simply using a similar tuning. I actually considered it "mandolin tuning" - I had picked up a cheap mandolin and it totally changed things for me - the first time I had played a stringed instrument that wasn't in guitar (or bass) tuning. So "tuning in 5ths" would be more accurate for me, instead of "cello tuning."

This was my reasoning for the gauges - starting on low C lets you keep the D string, while starting on low D lets you keep the A string - then adjust the other ones lighter or heavier (if that makes sense).

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 01:01:05 AM »
I did that once - here are the gauges I came up with:

30/40

I tuned a 4-string bass CGDA. I was going to do it again, this time DAEB, because it was a 32" scale bass and I didn't like the low C. It was definitely interesting though - minor 3rds are a PITA, but I was able to come up with some melodic stuff that I would never have thought of otherwise.
'
Thank you sir! Well I'm going to test this on a 34" pbass copy, do you think I could use the same gauges or I could use lighter? Do you remember how the tension was on your 32"?

The reason I want to do it is pure experimentation, not trying to duplicate a cello feel/sound, I just said about the cello for reference. Plus it's gonna be a fine stretching exersice for my fingers! ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 11:00:35 AM »

A cello is in the same range as the guitar, so you'd need to drop down an octave and use a heavy C string.

Tuning in fifths is a blast!  My day gig is fiddle fixin' so I play a lot of James Brown tunes on cellos.  My coworkers hate me...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »
Thank you sir! Well I'm going to test this on a 34" pbass copy, do you think I could use the same gauges or I could use lighter? Do you remember how the tension was on your 32"?

I just thought about each string - a low C is close to low B, so since I don't normally use a low B I looked at other string sets and went maybe a little lighter. The G string is going to be a whole step lower than the standard A, so I thought maybe a slightly heavier string than I would usually use. The D string is the same, so whatever you would use, and the A string is a whole step higher than the standard G, so so lighter this time.

Not very scientific, but it seemed to work! It depends too on whether you normally use a .045-.105 set or .040-.100.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what the tension was like, but there are several factors here - the tension of the specific string set you are using, plus the bass I was using was 32" scale.