Author Topic: Odd request from someone sending me a TRC for my NR - and it goes on...  (Read 8059 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
So there's a shop on eBay which sells TRCs for Thunderbirds. Measured the distance between the two screw holes (those nearest the nut) and ordered one.

The guy wants the year of my Tbird and the serial number. I told him it was a '66-'69 Nonreverse but didn't mention a serial number (which I'm not sure has one until all the paint is stripped off).

He asked again for the serial number.

What possible difference does it make what the serial number is and why would he want it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:45:46 PM by Denis »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Odd request from someone sending me a TRC for my NR
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:30:37 AM »
He is either making a data base of birds or doing forgeries is my guess. I never give out my serial numbers.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:35:22 AM »
Both of those crossed my mind. None of his business what the serial number is and it won't help him with the TRC in any case.
Clocks.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »
He could also be making sure that you have a legit bird vs trying to create a forgery yourself.  Which is funny, but possible.

Just tell him a simplified version of the truth; yours has been refinned and until you strip it you don't know what the S/N is.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »
Not sure why he'd feel it necessary to know if mine is a legit bird unless he has some sort of agreement with Gibson to make vintage parts.
Clocks.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
Because he cares.  People are all sorts.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
I would ask him why he wanted it. He doesn't have a right to know but he doesn't have to sell it to you either. Find out why and then make your decision.

Better yet, somebody here with an original needs to buy a 3-D printer!

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 03:39:16 PM »
I would ask him why he wanted it. He doesn't have a right to know but he doesn't have to sell it to you either. Find out why and then make your decision.

Actually he does have to sell it to me since he listed it on eBay and I clicked the Buy It Now  button. Nowhere on the listing did it say he required the serial number of the Tbird.
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 05:20:27 PM »
Actually he does have to sell it to me since he listed it on eBay and I clicked the Buy It Now  button. Nowhere on the listing did it say he required the serial number of the Tbird.

Ah. Didn't realize it was a BIN and you had already bought it. If I were you, I'd just tell him you don't give out your serial numbers. If he balks, then you know how to proceed.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 05:21:14 AM »

Or have access to one at a library:
http://library.health.ufl.edu/2014/11/13/3d-printing-at-the-library/

Actually, TR covers are easily cut from sheet styrene, it's just the logo that presents some difficulty. Here's one using a die cut transfer.

As far as the serial number, it's none of his business. 

Denis

• View Profile
Re: Odd request from someone sending me a TRC for my NR - Good grief
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »
The listing was titled: GIBSON THUNDERBIRD TRUSS TIE ROD COVER (BLK/GOLD)

I bought one truss rod cover from the guy (paid with PayPal). My note to the seller was : "Hi, I just clicked Buy It Now and paid for one of your truss roc covers. Per your description of the two sizes, I will need the first: Size A = distance of two lower holes center to center is 13/16 inches (20mm)."

Then I bought a second (paid with PayPal) because the measurements on the two pairs of bottom screw holes were different. My Tbird has had two different truss rod covers in it's life and I didn't know which one was correct. My note to the seller for the second one read: "Okay, so the measurements I have are inconclusive so I BIN'ed another one of your TRCs. Please send me one of each, Size A and Size B.
Thanks!

His reply: What brand guitar do you have and serial number please.
thank you

My answer: '66-'69 Gibson Nonreverse Thunderbird

His reply: Please find the serial number on back of tuning headstock and send it to us.
thank you

My answer: It's undergoing restoration and until the paint is stripped I won't know the number.

His reply: It's easier for you to measure and select size A or B. Ask the shop to measure the distance of the two lower holes. We will not send two covers to test fit.

My answer: I wasn't asking for two covers so I could test fit. I bought two covers and asked for one of each size. The bass has had two TRCs on it in it's life and I don't know which is correct. Thus, I ordered two.

His reply: Are you planning on returning or will you keep both ?

My answer: I'd planned on keeping both since it might be some time before I know which is the correct one.

His reply: From all my 30 plus years of experience in this business I will tell you that Gibson T Bird truss covers will not match the curves of other brand replicas. I have had many ( more than a lot ) of people order telling they have a Gibson but it is in the repair shop. Then later once the item arrives and doesn't fit the buyer will contact me with an email and photos showing that the shape extends pass the headstock of their replica Aria, Bach, Greko or Dillion and want to send the item back but then I can't resale the item to anyone as a new because its been handled. That is why I am letting you know Gibson truss covers do not fit onto other brand guitars. Even it may look like the headstock is same shape it is not. Having said all this.... you still want to buy two items and keep them both?
Clocks.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: Odd request from someone sending me a TRC for my NR - and it goes on...
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »
I'd just reply and say, "Thanks for the information about replicas, but this is for my Gibson, not a replica.  I've paid for two, so please post them, thanks."
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »
Makes a little sense, I can sort of understand the guys logic.  But vintage NRs and Revs use the same cover.  So just buy the one for a vintage TBird, he must know that dimension.

He should put exactly what he's selling in the listing.  Instead he makes you pay first and then asks in a roundabout way what you want to buy.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
His listing DID say there were two sizes and honestly his listing was pretty clear. I couldn't get hold of the guy at the shop for a couple of days and was unable to find an exact measurement elsewhere so I put in another BIN for the second one.

Nowhere did he mention he wanted serial numbers and I sure wasn't expecting to be put in the position of having to assure him through a half dozen emails that I have a real Thunderbird.

My main irritation is that his post described what it was, and I made the decision to buy based on that and the description. That should be enough. Besides, I have almost 300 ebay purchases and a 100% positive rating.

Maybe I'll just send him a list of the basses I have and ask him if he thinks now that I have some idea of what I'm doing.
Clocks.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
Wonder if it's the same guy I bought my TRC with the red logo from. The sellers name is apcustom_shop. No serial number questions but all I did was ask him how to order with the red on it. FWIW I bough the smaller (20mm??) option A TRC. I had no issues with the guy and he shipped super fast.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT