Author Topic: Odd request from someone sending me a TRC for my NR - and it goes on...  (Read 8074 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Odd request from someone sending me a TRC for my NR - and it goes on...
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »
Yeah, same guy!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »
It sounds like everyone's tying themselves in knots.  I can sympathise - I have unnecessarily complicated many things in my life, I get fixated upon something superfluous which is actually not super relevant to solving the problem and I'm no use to anyone until I finally see that I'm being an idiot :)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »
Today I received this message: "I'm not allowed to release these covers unless you provide a serial number."
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »
Might I suggest that you provide him with a "serial number" that is slightly different  from yours but age correct; swopping the digits round, by accident, obviously, and then report him for being a jerk and misrepresenting a product, then maybe, if they are sent by regular mail, and they "fail to arrive" you can sting the jerk further by giving him negative feedback... some people just get my back up... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 04:31:01 PM »
If I could locate a number on mine, I would consider giving him my number (with a changed digit or two), but I can't find one, and it might not show up until RS Guitars receives the Tbird and strips off all the paint.

Had I known there would be a bunch of post-purchase requirements I certainly wouldn't have clicked Buy-It-Now.
Clocks.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
I'm sure that one of the good folks here could offer you a jumbled number from an age correct T'bird via a pm if you aske nicely... ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »
Why don't you just tell him that he's required to complete the transaction? He didn't state this as a requirement, so he's obligated to ship it, even if he has some sort of agreement with Gibson (which I doubt). If he still refuses, open a case with eBay.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
He never mentioned a serial number requirement to me and never asked for any proof of what bass my cover was going on. Not sure why this one is turning into such a hassle. I would think eBay and Paypal will side with you for sure on this.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 04:11:42 AM »
Jeez, weird all the way around. I wonder if the guy got burned with someone returning covers but really it's a complete overreaction if that's the case.

If it helps I've got an 67 EB3 and Melody maker, I can PM you the serials and you're welcome to give him one of those.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 06:19:35 AM »
Zero, zero, and four random numbers would be period correct.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 02:44:18 PM »
Bumpy start to the day in this saga but it got better. I think three different people were answering my emails, and worse, not all of them were answering the most recent emails.

So one of my earlier emails was this: "I'd planned on keeping both since it might be some time before I know which is the correct one."

Lilly (co-owner) responded with: "Exactly. Which means one is coming back soon or late. Please understand that we don't want you to go through this process of returning wrong items. No buyer likes it. Bottom line you need to measure. How about for now we refund your money of $50 and then later when you have guitar in your hands and if you feel like it, a new order can be placed and we will be here to help. Let me know."

Then this one: "I'm not allowed to release these covers unless you provide a serial number. "

To both of these I answered: "The original listing did NOT mention anything about requiring a serial number.  If it had I would have contacted you first to see if you would consider supplying a truss rod cover.
A friend of mine ordered one of these from you with the Gibson logo in red and he was NOT asked anything about serial numbers. He ordered it, paid for it and you shipped it. I don't understand why you persist in asking me for a serial number even when I explained that my '66-69 Gibson Nonreverse Thunderbird is undergoing restoration and the serial number won't be visible until the paint is stripped.
Given that I read your listing fully, understood the terms and ordered TWO truss rod covers, one Size A and one Size B, paid for them promptly through PayPal, I really expected that you would honor the terms of the listing.
Adding additional requirements AFTER the items have been paid for is unprofessional and probably violates eBay's terms regarding good faith sales.
I expect that these two covers (one Size A and one Size B), which I bought and paid for, be promptly shipped to me, in good condition and in a timely manner. Otherwise, I will open a case with eBay in order to get this resolved.
Thank you."
Clocks.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 02:49:07 PM »
Then, Andy, the other co-owner,  and I had this better exchange later on today.

Me: "I'd planned on keeping both since it might be some time before I know which is the correct one."

Andy: "From all my 30 plus years of experience in this business I will tell you that Gibson T Bird truss covers will not match the curves of other brand replicas.  I have had many ( more than a lot ) of people order telling they have a Gibson but it is in the repair shop.  Then later once the item arrives and doesn't fit the buyer will contact me with an email and photos showing that the shape extends pass the headstock of their replica Aria, Bach, Greko or Dillion and want to send the item back but then I can't resale the item to anyone as a new because its been handled.  That is why I am letting you know Gibson truss covers do not fit onto other brand guitars. Even it may look like the headstock is same shape it is not.  Having said all this.... you still want to buy two items and keep them both?"

Me: "It seems to me that you simply don't believe me when I've said several times that I have a '66-'69 Gibson NonReverse Thunderbird. It's not a BaCH (I have three of those), it's not a Dillion or a Greco or an Aria.
The pots in mine date to 1965 and it still has the original jack. I've had the original pickup rewound. It has the original pickguard, tuners, bridge, pickup cover and bridge cover.
A friend of mine previously had ordered one of these truss rod covers with the logo in red and he was NEVER asked for his serial number. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal with me. No mention of a serial number is in the original eBay listing, so adding this as a requirement AFTER I've purchased and paid is unprofessional. If you'd mentioned requiring a serial number before ordering I would have contacted you first to see if you would still make me one of these truss rod covers.
Not once have I ever asked for you to send me the two covers so I could test fit and return one. eBay is not set up for that sort of thing. I bought two different sizes KNOWING that one probably wouldn't fit and was willing to take that chance.
You have a 99.9% rating and I have a 100% rating. I think we should try and keep it this way. "

Andy: "Hi Denis,
Sorry for the misunderstanding.  We want the items to fit onto guitars properly without issues and is the reason we ask for size and or serial number.  If a customer is unclear then we can't be sure it the item will fit. 
We will ship out the two items today priority mail.  There will be a standard shipping email after this one. "

Me: "Thank you,
I understand your concern about properly fitting items so perhaps it might be a good idea to make mention in future listings that guitars differ in design and that parts for one brand may not necessarily fit other brands. It would protect you up front and probably save some headaches.
I will let you know when they arrive."

Andy: "Yes, I might have to spell it out now.  I didn't think I needed to when the title clearly says Gibson.
It used to be that buyers asked before placing an order. Lately they purchase and then announce its a different brand guitar.
thank you again for understanding."

Light at the end of the tunnel.
Clocks.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »
... is an in-bound freight train...? :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
A lot of hassle but it sounds like you have it all sorted out now.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
I would have figured that since the item listing read "GIBSON THUNDERBIRD TRUSS TIE ROD COVER (BLK/GOLD)" they would have sent them in black/gold. But no, the logos are in silver.

The item description reads "NEW -- Truss rod cover plate for Gibson Thunderbird Bass electric guitar.
Material is 1/16" thickness ABS plastic solid black with brilliant gold foil logo."

Gold, not silver.

Jeez.
Clocks.