Author Topic: McCartney bass solo  (Read 871 times)

ilan

• View Profile
McCartney bass solo
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:14:29 PM »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: McCartney bass solo
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »
There is nothing technically astounding about Macca, though he is a fluid player. He doesn't have the most intricate rhythms either. But what he has is a good groove and a great choice of notes that captures attention without distracting from the (his) music. Wonderful bass player.

You know what my favorite bass track of his is? This! Endorphins flood my body everytime I hear it.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »
Uwe sums it up beautifully. McCartney has such a great sense of what's right for the music that he goes unnoticed all too often.  His stuff is tasteful and always on target. The solo Ilan selected is a perfect example of the kind of thing I'd like to be able to play - it's with the beat, carries the groove and moves the music forward. No wankery involved, just a solid contribution to the song that works beautifully.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
Beautiful! Beautiful Hofner tone there. That vids been around for a while but still always spot on. Wish he'd do an album sometime with the bass out front like that. However we know thats not what he's about but we can wish.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »
Yeah, the boy certainly can play. He really IS a fine example of a great bassist.
Rarely a note wasted or in excess.

Funny, when Uwe posted his favorite McCartney bass line as "Silly Love Songs," I thought for a moment and damn if I had no idea what it sounded like. But when I played the video, the song would not be the same without it.

Mc Cartney is sort of like the best of Motown groove and hooks with the pop sensibility The Wrecking Crew.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
You always hear about how melodic his parts are, but Paul also has a great sense of rhythm. I especially enjoy tracks where he plays bass AND drums.