Author Topic: Hey Scott: Jim like you have never seen him!  (Read 2242 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Hey Scott: Jim like you have never seen him!
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Hey Scott: Jim like you have never seen him!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »
well his fashion sense certainly benefitted from the whole punk thing, that's for sure.... though somehow musically he went the other way and got more easy listenning  :P  :-*

I also love how by this point in TOTP's run the bands had given up on making any sort of effort to keep up the guise of a live performance vs the reality of miming it to the 7" single (with a few exceptions, notably New Order who were introduced as "singing live and playing live"  - who did the worst version of Blue Monday I have ever heard).... and that the audience appreciated the honesty or more likely, the resulting shenanigans.  Even Morrissey, the previous year,  went all 'f*** it' and replaced his signature mic twirling with the twirling of what appears to be a bouquet of lillies or tulips, with no (unplugged) microphone in sight.  Slade took it much more serious in 73 - looks like those mics have actually got cables plugged in:

How do you like those vintage Slade TShirts, eh Uwe (nudge, nudge, say no moar)?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:24:53 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 02:58:58 PM »
That song must have been round the same time when their creative well had run dry so horribly, that they had these two Dutch creeps write them a song:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
  I have heard of this totp performance never seen it! Thanks Uwe!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 04:40:09 AM »
That song must have been round the same time when their creative well had run dry so horribly, that they had these two Dutch creeps write them a song:

I liked that song when it came out in the early 80ies, it was a major dance floor hit in Germany. Quo's version a couple of years later paled compared to the original. Bolland & Bolland also gave Falco his second career with the Rock me Amadeus smash hit.

I don't think they are such an awful songwriter pair, you are being too tough on your countrymen. Hey, I like Dutch pop!!!

Don't deride it, it's something you guys (and girls) dingadong-do darn well.

(Listening to it again, I only realize now how much they emulated The Carpenters sound with it.)

As for Status Quo's Marguerita Time ... that is not nearly the quality of Dutch (or good English) pop, even for its don't-take-it-quite-serious novelty hit status. That said, Alan Lancaster overreacted when he refused to play it on TV (which is how Jim Lea came into the picture for that one appearance). "In the Army Now" wasn't written for them. They heard the original in a Dutch disco and liked it so much, they did their own version of it. That is exactly how they came to hear The Doors' Roadhouse Blues (only in a German disco) and decided to cover that some 15 years earlier. Quo's version of "In the Army" was not only musically watered down from the atmospheric original, but they also emasculated the anti-Vietnam War lyrics a bit. They didn't match the doom and gloom of The Doors' original take of Roadhouse Blues either. When Jim Morrison leers and Alan Lancaster barks "When I woke up this morning, I got myself a beer - the future's uncertain, but the end is always ... n-n-near", it's just not the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:33:03 PM by uwe »

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:08:18 AM »
^^^^^^^

THIS is the stuff that they have been using to torture terrorists down in Guantanamo Bay with for years!!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 10:10:12 AM »
Wasn't that AC/DC and Metallica - basically a Beavis and Butthead combo?