Author Topic: Incoming Guild B-301  (Read 5211 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Incoming Guild B-301
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »
Trading my Cataldo Eighter to an early customer for this:

I'd prefer a blonde mahogany, been looking for a while but none has turned up.  I'm sure they'll start coming out of the woodwork now...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Incoming Guild B-301
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:17:51 PM »
Looks to be in very nice shape. The ash seems to be much less common than the brown stained mahogany finish. I've never seen one in a blond finish mahogany.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »
It does seem to be in good shape except for the less yellowing on the back where stickers were removed.  I'm a little concerned about weight, late 70s ash bodies are generally heavy IME.  The cherry mahogany one I had for a few days was very light but balanced great.  Everything is original except for the TRC...WTF?

I guess technically the mahogany ones were white:

They're out there but more than I want to pay for the condition they're in.

While searching I did see a blonde ash one pictured.  It was really sharp but I can't find it again.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:11:42 AM »
I had two thoughts looking at it:

1) Purty!

2) Bet it's heavy.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »
I had the stained Mahogany and the bass was light overall but unbalanced because of the heavy tuners and large headstock combined with location of the strap pin. I would think the heavier ash body might be a better compliment to the neck for balance. If anyone's looking for my old B301 it should be up on the GC used listings in the Nashua NH store.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
I have seen the white ones before. Ali McMordie played a white B-302 in Stiff Little Fingers.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:12:19 AM »
I saw that one last week, Andy.  I thought it was a little too expensive for the condition.  I'm trying to enforce a 'one in one out' bass acquisition program this year, so a straight trade is ideal.

Thanks for the video, Dave.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:57:19 AM »
Arrived about 10 days ago, I've had other pressing matters including meeting my grandson and celebrating his first birthday (same day as my mom's 93rd) down south with family.

Here's a first look.  Weight is 9.8 lbs, body is 1.5 inches thick, balance is perfect.  The single coil DiMarzio really provides a wide range of tone.  I'm thinking of getting ThunderBucker to clone it for my builds.  I think DiMarzio only did it for Guild.  It 's sort of Jazz pole magnets in a fat short P-90 coil, goes from ultra trebly to very deep.  I'm digging it!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:55 AM »
Ah, so many basses, so little cash. I would love a mahogany 302. Hell, I could tell people the B stands for BOSS.  ;D But then I'd have to paint it orange...

I did not know DiMarzio made those pickups.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 02:23:40 AM »
Looks minty...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »
That has a layer of cool applied all over it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 09:05:13 AM »
Ah, so many basses, so little cash. I would love a mahogany 302. Hell, I could tell people the B stands for BOSS.  ;D But then I'd have to paint it orange...

I did not know DiMarzio made those pickups.

Luckily(?) my event horizon is sooner than yours so I have less restraint with buying what I want when I want it.  I hope you come across one when the time is right, Tom.

According to Guild literature Dimarzio made the pups.  Just a little taller than a 60s TBird humbucker, less than 5/8". It threads into a brass plate, mahogany shimmed on the bridge side to keep the angle correct.

Looks minty...

Very close.  Just stripped it to do a general detailing and fret dress.  Pickguard is more bakelite-like than on any other bass I own.  Really polishes up nicely.

That has a layer of cool applied all over it.

As well as a residue of tobacco goo from living in North Carolina most of its life!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:52:10 AM »
They're nice pickups and definitely unique. I felt like they sounded best when clean. The overdriven characteristic seemed more harsh in a similar way to the split coil mfd pickup I experienced with G&L. Glad to hear the bass balances well, guess my hunch about the ash body was right. My hog B-301 was even lighter than yours overall but much more imbalanced. I'd rather have a heavier bass with better balance. Will you be keeping the chobester on there?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »
I didn't have a problem with the mahogany one I had.  I wear basses very low and that helps counter neckdive IMO.  'Chobester', whatever it means, is staying until I find a correct B-301A cover or make one.

Micromeshed it, dressed the frets and put it back together with $5 flats.  Sounds good so far through 5 watt 'BluesMaster' and 1-15 cab.  Need to intonate it and dial in the setup.