Author Topic: The price of fame  (Read 9492 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: The price of fame
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »
I'm with you on Owl City.  Not my thing at all...spot checking 3 or 4 spots for 10 seconds each was enough to guarantee that.

But I'm sitting here listening to George Thorogood on Pandora, and I think you could consider him the exact opposite of Owl City. "Bad to the Bone" is a mega-classic IMO.

George Thorogood; yes, that's more like it. 
 :toast:
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
I can hear Bad to the Bone / Get a Haircut / One bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer / Madison Blues / Who Do You Love / Move it on Over anytime.

We do Get a haircut in my band - it's a real crowd pleaser.  Want to add more Thorogood.  Saw him at Red Rocks this summer!  He is no spring chicken, but he still rocks hard.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
I can hear Bad to the Bone / Get a Haircut / One bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer / Madison Blues / Who Do You Love / Move it on Over anytime.

We do Get a haircut in my band - it's a real crowd pleaser.  Want to add more Thorogood.  Saw him at Red Rocks this summer!  He is no spring chicken, but he still rocks hard.

Well, there are still a few out there playing at that age.  ZZ Top comes to mind, although when I saw them they were way younger.  I think it's great to still play if you feel like it.  A few like Paul McCartney are even older and still playing.  I have doubts that Eric Clapton will keep touring for much longer, though.  It's hard to know. 

Edit:

I saw Status Quo on the Download Festival on Palladia several hours ago.  They're in that age range, too. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:16:51 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »
The Moody Blues are still touring although Ray Thomas retired in 2002and Norda Mullen has taken his spot - and I might add, she is a fantastic instrumentalist!  I can attest that they are still well worth the price of a ticket.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2014, 04:44:41 PM »
Any time I think of them, I automatically think of "Go Now."  That's despite the fact that Denny Laine left them very early on.  He may be even more associated with Wings and Air Force now. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:50:32 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »
IMHO...their music has aged better than many bands...I like their music better now than I did in the 70's.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »
Any time I think of them, I automatically think of "Go Now."  That's despite the fact that Denny Laine left them very early on.  He may be even more associated with Wings and Air Force now.

The only Moody Blues album I have even owned, and IMO, the best and bluesiest.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »
I have a recording of their performance at Red Rocks, and I saw them in the 90's live at The Woodlands north of Houston, performing with the Houston Symphony Orchestra.  Their rock/orchestral creations are incredibly beautiful - and still rock!

It probably says a lot that the Moody Blues are my personal favorite band.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »

Same here!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
@mojohobo & rob
Great minds think alike. 

--Blaise Pascal