Author Topic: 1959 Gibson EB-2 - Parts Question  (Read 3885 times)

dc10bass

• View Profile
1959 Gibson EB-2 - Parts Question
« on: December 02, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Group...

I just picked up a 1959 Gibson EB-2.
...I would like to return it as close to original as possible.

TUNERS:
I had originally thought of returning the EB Banjo tuners...
but the feedback I received from my previous post sounds like I should steer clear.
...Anyone recommend a specific replacement tuner that seem to work best with the least amount of modification?

BRIDGE:
The original bridge was replaced with a late 60's model Gibson two-point Tune-O-Matic bridge.
The original Bar Bridge holes were filled in and re-drilled to fit the wider spacing needed for the Tune-O-Matic.
...Would like to return it back to the Bar Bridge.

PICKUP & BARITONE SWITCH:
There is currently a '62-'65 Chrome pickup cover on it in place of the original Black bakelite.
...Seems like the black bakelite covers I have seen for sale are over $200.00+ on ebay.
The Baritone switch was replaced with a 2 way switch. I see a proper replacement on ebay selling for $14.99

Also in need of a hardshell case... anyone know of any companies making a case that will fit an EB-2?

Thank for any input!
Curt

www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: 1959 Gibson EB-2 - Parts Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »
Bridge - not worth it IMO.  Pain in the ass (the plugs are likely stronger/harder then the surrounding wood) to get an inferior bridge back in place.

Tuners, not sure, but no matter which way you go there will be some hole drilling/widening. 

My advice is to focus on making it work/play well for you, unless it's a wall -hanger, then yeah, fixate away.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »
 That's my dream bass!  Pix please.

Tuners: Original banjo holes are very small, I installed Schaller 'Y' types which required making them slightly larger.  Pretty easy.

Last year I switched to 3/8" Hipshots which required making holes larger still:

The shafts are too long IMO.  I'd probably go for Gotoh or Schaller Y types.  Later EBO tuner plates are too large for the narrow headstock.  I HAVE heard that Hipshot will make shorter shafts but haven't seen them.

Bridge:  If you want to go back to the original bar, do it!  Works fine IMO and installing anchors is easy when you use the proper size drill.  I do it every time I build a bass.  Nothing looks as good as the original, it's just whether you want to spend the money on the rare part, the actual bar.  Replacement replica studs and anchors are easy to find.

Pickup cover:  3D printing is the way to go.  Do you have a source?

It's something I've had an interest in doing but haven't gotten around to.  Might be a market for them.

Case:  I keep my '67 in a RI Starfire case, it's longer than it needs to be but otherwise fits very well.  I've heard an Epi Jack Cassidy will work.

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »

Excellent dadagoboi!

Those tuners look like great options... what helps is seeing them in action on a Gibson headstock.

I'm with you on the bridge... I love the look of the original.

I'm one step ahead of you with the 3D printer doing the covers...
I do Automotive CAD and already have an original Black bakelite on my '62 EB-3, so sorting out a design could take an hour.
...I have access to a few 3D printers, will keep you posted.

...and that case looks great!

Thanks!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
You're welcome.  I figured you had access to printers.  I'd bet you could finance a complete restoration of your EB by selling repro pickup covers.

The Starfire case is really heavy and has 7 latches.

Looking forward to your results!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »
FYI - the Casady case is very lengthy to allow for a long neck and large headstock. Other options might be better fits.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
Gibson is making the ES-335 12 string again. These cases should fit.............

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBES12

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:26:57 AM »

So has anyone tried to see it a proper Gibson 335 case would work, OR is it not long enough?

Thanks!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »
Don't know for sure, but I doubt it would be long enough. The headstock of the 12-string is much longer though.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.................  :P

Early '59 EB-2, (with last of the single coils) & '68 ES-335 12.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:32:48 PM by Grog »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:40:44 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.................  :P

Early '59 EB-2, (with last of the single coils) & '68 ES-335 12.

Whoa.... beautiful!

TUNERS: I can at least add my vote for ultralites, used them on four gibson basses now. I do like the looks of the old klusons, but for performance - hipshot. They can be bought with small keys, as dadagoboi suggested. I have a set I got for one of my EB6 projects, the clovers are quite small. I even dabbled with ideas on how to ´fill´the split post, maybe some kind of `coin´on top to make it look solid.

BRIDGE: I like the bar bridge more and more, I´d do it! If you´re up to it, go all the way. Never met a set of strings a bar bridge could not intonate within reason. Someone installed a 3 point on my ´63 EB0F, I´ll reverse the mod as soon as I find a proper bar bridge - and bury that 3 point deep!

PICKUP COVER: I followed that ebay cover for a while, the price is high but still not sold after a year or two?
It certainly looks the part, and on a 59...
Guess it might sound different too, although that pickup does not reproduce terribly much treble. Didn´t Uwe report
that his EB0F was more middish than a regular EB0 with metal cover once?
I dabbled with superglueing a pre cut plastic ring and a top plate, to shape it like a bakelite mud cover.
Might give it another go.. I´d buy one if it looked correct, but wether or not there is a market... 

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »
Whoa.... beautiful!

TUNERS: I can at least add my vote for ultralites, used them on four gibson basses now. I do like the looks of the old klusons, but for performance - hipshot. They can be bought with small keys, as dadagoboi suggested. I have a set I got for one of my EB6 projects, the clovers are quite small. I even dabbled with ideas on how to ´fill´the split post, maybe some kind of `coin´on top to make it look solid.

BRIDGE: I like the bar bridge more and more, I´d do it! If you´re up to it, go all the way. Never met a set of strings a bar bridge could not intonate within reason. Someone installed a 3 point on my ´63 EB0F, I´ll reverse the mod as soon as I find a proper bar bridge - and bury that 3 point deep!

PICKUP COVER: I followed that ebay cover for a while, the price is high but still not sold after a year or two?
It certainly looks the part, and on a 59...
Guess it might sound different too, although that pickup does not reproduce terribly much treble. Didn´t Uwe report
that his EB0F was more middish than a regular EB0 with metal cover once?
I dabbled with superglueing a pre cut plastic ring and a top plate, to shape it like a bakelite mud cover.
Might give it another go.. I´d buy one if it looked correct, but wether or not there is a market...

Nice one, thanks for the input!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »
That's one of my bucket-list items Kurt... lots of warm feelings from across the Pond...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
The tuners on my '59 were quite sloppy & loose when I bought it. The pearloid tuner knobs were shrinking. I bought four Firebird tuners to get a set of original nickel keys. That stabilized & tightened the tuners up, almost like new. At least as good as these minimal tuners could be for bass.............