Author Topic: Trading for a Gibson  (Read 1271 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Trading for a Gibson
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »
So I have this late-70's Fender P that I want to sell/trade. The body is stripped to natural, some replacement parts (pickguard, bridge), but not butchered or hacked. It's a decent bass but I have better Fenders. Someone in a local board is offering a Gibson Grabber for trade. It's a natural finish bass and looks original. I am thinking of offering him my P for the Grabber+cash. How much $$ is fair to ask in such a trade? Thanks
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Trading for a Gibson
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
I know nothing about the value of Fenders (do they have value at all?  :mrgreen: ), but even a Grabber in very good condition shouldn't fetch more than 1.000 bucks, a regularly used one more along 700 US-$. That bass got never over its budget image though it would probably make a lot of bassists more happy than its more valuable sibling, the Ripper.

Am I wrong? Have Grabber prices dramatically risen?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 06:56:46 AM »
Am I wrong? Have Grabber prices dramatically risen?

Difficult to find a decent one for less than $1000 IMO.  That's what I paid for this one last year on Ebay.  It was after a long search and returning one with a frozen saddle bridge with no cover or case to a respectable dealer.  That one was $900.

No way I'd trade it for a late 70s stripped P with unoriginal p/g and bridge.   But that's just me.  I could build a similar bass for less than $500.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »
  I would take a Grabber over a Ripper any day and I have had plenty of both. I'm not a big fan of trades. I'd sell the P and get as much out of it as I possibly could then go with cash in hand. Grabber prices are up I paid $450 for my black one with case but that must be at least 6-7 years ago.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
Thanks guys. I was under the impression that Grabbers were still $500-600. I guess that has changed.

I prefer a bolt-on over a set-neck for tonal and maintenance reasons, and I like the Grabber's simplicity. If the seller is at all interested in this trade, this could be a good cross-over bass for me, given my Fender/Ric preferences.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
Though I´ve only looked out for EB0/3´s the last years, I always check Grabber values/auctions when looking for Gibsons - as I´ve had a Grabber since I was 14. $1000 seems to be the average price these days. I´ve only seen one that was priced way too high, but it was wine red autographed by some Gene Simmons guy. I have a nutural, and wouldn´t mind having a black or red - but the autograph didn´t wash off so I let it go:-)

Seriously, I´d never part with my Grabber - it always sounds good whatever style. I have a mid 70´s P-bass too, had it for about 20 years, but never really liked it like I like my Gibsons (or even my rick). Guess P´s are fine, but I keep tinkering with it to improve it, so there must be something wrong with it! Maybe it´s a tad heavy and therefore not comfy, maybe
I´m just not a fender guy..   

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
What is a typical weight for a Grabber?

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »
What is a typical weight for a Grabber?

Mine is 3,58 kg (had to check it now)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »
So under 8 lbs.? Wow. I would have thought that this big maple body would be at least 9 lbs.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 03:01:37 AM »
It surprised me too, though it´s lighter than my P bass for sure. I thought maybe my digital scale was off, but it measures one package of sugar just right (1 kg).  Mine is a 75 model, which they made (i think) with alder or maple both with maple necks. I assume it´s maple by looks, because the finish on the back wears off in flakes just like on my ´75 4001 rick.

It´s a wide body, but not very deep - and there´s plenty of routing under that big pickguard. They even removed more neck pocket wood than necessary on mine! Think I posted that in an early thread.

I´m really glad I got it, as a kid I wanted a slim, pink metallic Ibanez with ultra thin neck. My uncle (a Kiss fan) was selling his grabber for $200, and i went straight to the local guitar store to trade it for an Ibanez.  But they couldn´t trade it in for more than $200 and I had no money, so I kept it. The shop owner even advised me to learn to play on the grabber even though I thought it was big and bulky at the time. So I did, and when I found out the bass could be set up with a lower action an thinner strings a couple of years later, I had incredible speed :mrgreen:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 08:57:48 AM »
 Early Grabbers have alder bodies and are lighter. Later ones have maple  bodies and are heavier. I forget what year they changed maybe '78?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 01:50:08 AM »
According to Jules, alder was an option as late as 77 but no mention of when they stopped making alder bodies.

Maybe mine is alder, then.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 02:45:10 AM »
I've seen grabbers with black headstock fascia and others with a plain maple headstock. When was the change?

The bass in question is a '78. This is the pic he has uploaded:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:52:57 AM by ilan »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »
The maple ones also sound different, more massive and dense with a bit more sub-lows, not as barky and low mid-rangy as the alder ones. The alder ones are a lot more dent-prone though, so if the Grabber in question is in good condition, it's probably a maple one because the alder ones do suffer over time unless they lie conserved in a case.

Does the one you're interested in have a skunk stripe? Those were the earliest one and had a different headstock angle too (actually no headstock angle as such, rather the headstock was recessed).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
My '75 is tight grain lightweight 5 piece alder.  7.5 lbs.  Until I saw Scott's post I thought it was soft maple but I took another look.