Author Topic: 2015 Updated Thunderbird  (Read 11483 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: 2015 Updated Thunderbird
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »

Oh,   "those 3 holes"   :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »
I got to play the new bird at Guitar Center Atlanta tonight.  The bridge looked better in person, I found it strange that  it has a small (maybe 1/8 inch) spacer underneath it. I guess this is how they accommodate different neck angles?

The finish was much improved IMO, maybe the extra money gets you more time on the buffing wheel.

Unfortunately since it was guitar center there was way too much noise to actually plug in and hear it but maybe I can stop by there tomorrow over lunch and get in the phone booth of a bass room....

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
I got to play the new bird at Guitar Center Atlanta tonight.  The bridge looked better in person, I found it strange that  it has a small (maybe 1/8 inch) spacer underneath it. I guess this is how they accommodate different neck angles?

It's probably just an add-on because the T-bird requires a different height than their prototype. And if that's the case, they should use the right height to begin with since it's OEM on the new Bird.

The Babicz bridge for the Telecaster has been criticized over at the TDPRI because the baseplates aren't the right height (among other problems) even though it's supposed to be a drop in replacement, and the company has been slow to react. If I had a 3-point Gibson bridge I wanted to replace, I'd sure want to wait awhile and see if there are any problems.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
There will be one at Session Music Frankfurt in early December (at least that is what they have announced) which I will sooner or later have to pick up, don't think there will be too many other takers at a hefty price of almost twice what the 2014 TBird models now cost at Session Music.

I know I'm in the minority here, surrounded as I am by vintage obsessives ("Can Gibson please finally build a 1963 reissue TBird with exact replica radioactivity-contaminated maho and walnut as was de rigueur in the early sixties due to all the nuclear testing?") but the one thing they should have done for a 2015 facelift is copy Epiphone's Classic Pro concept of moving the upper wing slightly forward and the lower wing slightly back for better high register access. It doesn't make the Classic Pro look much different, but the accessibility effect is noticeable.

That is Mark's staircase by the way. It leads to his fetish model train cupboard.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:55:07 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »

LOL!

I didn't let you see that 'other" closet during your visit! It's up the stairs and to the left  ;D

I agree on the shape change too, if they are going to update the damn thing there's no sense to a half assed job - make it a full (Henry J) assed one!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »

Is the Epi body slightly wider too or is that just from the placement angle of the stands? The creamy Gibson body looks a little svelte next to her whiter cousin.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2014, 04:59:37 AM »
I'll check!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2014, 05:15:46 AM »
I know I'm in the minority here, surrounded as I am by vintage obsessives

Du bist nicht allein in deiner Kampf, oh Dunklen Lord.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.