Author Topic: RIP Jack Bruce  (Read 3964 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: RIP Jack Bruce
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
I agree. I never believed they hated each other in the first place, they just couldn't get along for longer periods. Herr Baker is a difficult man so they say ...

I've read about it and have seen documentaries about it.  But the "Beware of Mr. Baker" documentary pretty much proves how difficult Ginger Baker is.  I looked forward to seeing that very much, but it literally pulls no punches in its attempt to be authentic. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:31:51 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2014, 04:48:07 AM »
The drummer I played with in the peak of my musical career was the drummer I was at my absolute tightest with.  I still joke that we were so good, we could play mistakes together.  We also fought like 12-year-old boys who liked the same girl.  Constantly.  I then invited him into a new band, with the offering of starting all over.  40 years later, he's the only one of my old bandmates that I keep in touch with occasionally.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2014, 11:41:13 PM »
In general, drummers have been the hardest to deal with.  But I have remained somewhat in touch with a great drummer from my teenage years.  I don't even know if Jack and Ginger were still on speaking terms.  It's doubtful.  Those two, however, were in a league of their own.  That drummer that I've known so long can play anything.  But he once told me Ginger Baker's drumming was the only drumming he had never been able to master with 100% accuracy.  Still, I think he has always been more of a John Bonham disciple.  Everyone else I've met has been within the past ten years.  He is the one link to my distant past.  The last time we played together was a few years ago, but it was like we had never stopped. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:32:21 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
Jack Bruce--Complete Swing in 1971

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2014, 03:31:55 AM »
Nice! I really dig John Marshall´s drumming, didn´t know he played with Jack.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2014, 04:26:09 AM »
Nice! I really dig John Marshall´s drumming, didn´t know he played with Jack.

It was through the early Jack Bruce solo albums that I became aware of how good Chris Spedding was.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty