Author Topic: RIP Jack Bruce  (Read 3963 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Jack Bruce
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »
There's a large local appliance chain that does a lot of TV advertising. The ads almost always have "I Feel Free" playing in the background.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
I decided I'd better order "Silver Rails."  The order came in the mail and I was getting ready to listen to it.  Apparently, they thought I'd prefer CDs by the Alan Parsons Project, the Steve Miller Band, and Bad Company.  No Jack Bruce at all. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »
 :mrgreen: I think their software has you filed under "repeated Classic Rock offender"! I've got Silver Rails, but what I am currently listening to, is the Cream - Gold Double CD compilation. I herewith out myself as liking "Anyone for Tennis", an unlikely Cream track I had never ever heard before. And the fact how Ginger's drums are panned to the right side only on those early Cream studio recordings draws a smile to my face. Eric on the left, Ginger on the right, Jack somewhere in the middle. I strikes me how for 1966 a lot of their songwriting defied what was then convention. And Eric sure liked rever-ver-verb and ech-oe-oe-oe on his guitar.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:08:26 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
They sent my CDs to someone else and his CDs to me.  I hope they can correct that sooner rather than later. 

"Anyone for Tennis" was on the old "Goodbye Cream" CD that I have.  A friend gave it to me long ago.  But I've noticed that other versions leave that song off.  Another thing I've noticed is that on the remastered songs, like the ones of the "Those Were the Days" boxed set, the bass isn't quite as loud. Especially on the original "Goodbye Cream" CD, the bass is really loud on "I'm So Glad," and that's the way I like it.  It makes that old CD mean more to me than I might have expected.  Still, as Hiero has pointed out, the 4CD boxed set is great to have, especially at the low price they were charging when I got mine years ago. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »
There's a large local appliance chain that does a lot of TV advertising. The ads almost always have "I Feel Free" playing in the background.

Warner Stellian? I swear I've seen a commercial with it but can't remember for sure what it was.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 06:39:19 PM »
Warner Stellian? I swear I've seen a commercial with it but can't remember for sure what it was.

Yep, that's it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2014, 06:39:13 AM »
That's a nice one.

As regards Jack's influence on current bass playing styles, I - lamentably so - don't hear too much of it. Neither his quirkiness, his long departures from root notes (or from Ginger's drumming and especually kick-drum work!) nor his sound (or his early penchant for short scale which he replaced at a later age with a penchant for fretless long scale to have similar options of modulating notes). If pressed, I'd say that Flea (minus the slapping part) is probably the most Bruce'ish popular bassist today, possibly because he comes from a jazz background as well. Flea's lyrical entry on Under the Bridge has always reminded me of Jack's approach.

As regards the old guard, I always found that early Geezer Butler sounded a little like Jack Bruce on quaaludes (albeit soundwise the Hulk version to Jack Bruce's Dr. Banner playing). He certainly was a big fan and cites Jack as a lasting influence in pretty much every bass-relevant interview of his.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2014, 06:56:43 AM »
Agree on Butler, but if you look away from rock and into early to mid 70's psychedelic prog, fusion etc. there is (the way I see it) many
traces of herr Bruce - plenty of distorted bass too:-) Maybe not too many today, though.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:09 AM »
No doubt his influence was heard a lot in the late sixties and early seventies. It waned from then on. Of course, nothing he did post-Cream ever had comparable commercial appeal again either. (And it's not like bassists not being influenced by what is popular or trendy!) Except in musician circles, you didn't hear a lot from him anymore. His solo projects became more and more cultish and leftfield (West, Bruce & Laing and BBM were commercial exceptions, but look how long they lasted).

Of course, you can say the same thing about JAE, Chris Squire or even Macca. I don't remember the last time I heard radio and had to say: "Oh, here is a bassist audibly heavily influenced by ...".

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »
This tribute appeared on Facebook - though the article was a bit lacking but some interesting pics I haven't seen: http://www.daringaudio.com/bassist-profile-jack-bruce/

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »
Nice.

Who will Ginger yell at in the future?  :-\

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 03:23:56 PM »
Nice.

Who will Ginger yell at in the future?  :-\

In my opinion, even when their relationship would get at its worst, they still regarded each other as genius musicians.  I always got the feeling that they liked each other more than they let on.  But it's true Ginger did get furious at Jack at that Madison Square Garden concert for playing so loud.  Now, however, I'm sure he wishes he could have a problem like that again.  I'm glad he has been so gracious in his remarks now that it's the end. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 03:56:46 PM »
I agree. I never believed they hated each other in the first place, they just couldn't get along for longer periods. Herr Baker is a difficult man so they say ...