Author Topic: RIP Jack Bruce  (Read 3960 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Jack Bruce
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
You can imagine Jack singing to it and Clapton's humming is reminiscent of Bruce's often outlandish take on melodies - nice!

Clapton's participation in the Cream reunion (he didn't need the money) ensured that Jack's death now was at least not due to one thing: lack of funds for the best possible medical treatment. But even money can't buy you lasting health.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »
That's nice...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:44:11 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »
I wore out my 'songs for a tailor' lp in one year :sad:

thanks, jack

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 07:42:05 AM »
Bummer, now I am feeling old!  May he rest in peace.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
There are three deaths in music which have bothered me the most:  John Lennon, George Harrison, and now Jack Bruce.  Hendrix's death should have bothered me more.  But I was still a teenager, probably a little immature, not really knowing how to relate very well to such things.  Of course, John Lennon's death was quite a shock.  Still, that was so long ago, too, and I was still in my 20s.  With George Harrison's death, I felt kind of numb and that pretty much describes how I feel now that Jack Bruce is also gone. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:08:42 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »
In the seventies I guess it was the Skynyrd accident and Tommy Bolin, as I'd only just seen both of them months previously...

Never saw Jack play live... nor Felix... both were significant to my playing though...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »
In the seventies I guess it was the Skynyrd accident and Tommy Bolin, as I'd only just seen both of them months previously...

Never saw Jack play live... nor Felix... both were significant to my playing though...

I think the LS tragedy scarred the psyche of quite a few people.  At least that's the way it seemed to me being in the Deep South at the time.  The details were just so horrific; it's hard to imagine how it could have been any worse.  I was always much more of an Allman Brothers fan, but like so many other people, I was still very much affected by what happened.  I never saw any of the people mentioned in this thread, though, with the exception of Leon Wilkeson, and even that was by sheer coincidence.  From time to time, I would come across people who got the chance of seeing Jack play, but always realized that most likely I would never get that chance. 

--Blaise Pascal

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 04:14:15 AM »
I think the most cogent point for me in the deaths of all of the music makers from the 60' and 70's is how thinking of them at this moment conjures up so many wonderful memories.  Death is a sad part of life, but it's a part of it nonetheless.  They will always be young and alive in my mind every time I hear their music, especially Jack.  I think about how he and others impacted me as a teen and later as a college student.  Those are great thoughts!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 04:55:41 AM »
At least his new liver bought him some more time to be with his loved ones, create new music and earn some money in the Cream reunion. A luck Rory Gallagher did not have, he died immediately after the transplant.

He can now teach Rory the Politician riff properly!  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »

Speaking of Bolin, BGO Records are finally giving his work with the James Gang (Bang and Miami) a belated remaster CD release in early November. Bang is a rush of an album, oozing Bolin's musical abandon (which tore the James Gang old guard of Peters, Fox and Kenner along), possibly as good as Come Taste the Band. By Miami, Bolin was already setting sails for a solo career and the album sounds curiously low-key, even dejected compared to the exuberant Bang, but there are still some quality songs. And up to now especially Miami was only available on CD as an extremely hissy and flat affair.

I miss Bolin to this day. I find his writing and playing timeless.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »
Thanks, that's good to know about the remasters. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:50 PM »

--Blaise Pascal

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »
Another nice remembrance of Jack: http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-10-29/jack-bruce-1943-2014
Very nice!

I've been listening to the box set "Those Were the Days" and re-reading the liner notes. I think my favorite track is the live version of N.S.U. - the box set has the complete unedited version - there are other live tunes too where I might not be a huge fan of the song ("I'm So Glad," etc.) but the jamming they do on it is just amazing. The idea of them being a jazz band behind their blues guitarist makes so much sense.