Author Topic: trade question  (Read 2889 times)

georgestrings

• View Profile
trade question
« on: October 02, 2014, 04:29:42 AM »
I'm thinking of trading my '08 Fender American Standard Jazz for an MIA '13 G&L ASAT Bass that's practically new - even up... The current owner of the ASAT states that it's uncomfortable to play standing up, and that he wants an MIA Fender Jazz...

I'm not very sensitive to neck dive or body position, since I can comfortably switch back and forth between P Basses, Jazzes, T-Birds, EBMMs, etc... - so, the ASAT will probably not be a problem for me - BUT, I did tell him that I'd have to play it standing up before making a deal...

Now, another aspect of this: the Jazz I'd be trading is an outstanding bass, just a flat out perfect Jazz in every way(playability, tone, extremely stable neck, etc...) - however, I also have another Jazz that's killer as well... So, I'd still have a great Jazz bass left, but the ASAT would give me something different in my modest collection...

I'm thinking that as long as the ASAT doesn't neck dive any worse than my T-Bird, doesn't have any issues, and plays as well as the Jazz I'd be trading, I'm gonna go for it - any thoughts/opinions on this potential trade???

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
Re: trade question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 04:39:57 AM »
Here's some pics of the ASAT:

.... and a pic of my Jazz's - the black one on the left would be traded, the white one I'd keep:

- georgestrings

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »
I'm not a big Tele guy, but that ASAT is a looker! Overall, I'd say go for it, but definitely take some time with the standing up test. I think neck dive will have a bit different feel on this than on a 'bird.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
If you have one solid J-bass, you don't need two.  I'd go for the ASAT in a minute! 

But then, I'm not a big fan of having duplicate basses.  I'd rather have some variety.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
I'm not a big Tele guy, but that ASAT is a looker! Overall, I'd say go for it, but definitely take some time with the standing up test. I think neck dive will have a bit different feel on this than on a 'bird.

Yeah, it does have a look about it - and would definitely work well in my current band... Regarding dive - I'm not sure it'll be much different than my Fenderbird, given the button locations... I'll certainly post up about it afterwards, either way...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
If you have one solid J-bass, you don't need two.  I'd go for the ASAT in a minute! 

But then, I'm not a big fan of having duplicate basses.  I'd rather have some variety.

"Need" doesn't have much to do with any of this - after all, I hardly need more than a couple of basses, but I like to have a bunch... The variety angle is the only reason why I'm considering this at all - but I've never minded having duplicates, as long as they're all solid players...

- georgestrings

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
It's a G&L and therefore almost by default is worth having!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
It's a G&L and therefore almost by default is worth having!

To be honest, I've always been underwhelmed by G&L basses - never played one that I had to have... I can't say that about Fenders - including the one I'm considering trading - or Fender clones by Sadowsky, Lull, etc... Usually, it's the neck shape/thickness that turns me off of most G&L basses I've checked out - but I don't think that'll be an issue here... Also, I prefer the Fender sound over the sound of any G&Ls I've played - but actually want a different sound *this* time, since I'm pretty "Fendered up" at the moment...

It may not sound like it, but I really am approaching this possible trade with an open mind - we'll see...

- georgestrings

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 06:01:15 PM »
If the one I tried was a typical example, the neck dive was severe. Also keep in mind that if you do the trade and then decide that you don't like it, the G&L probably won't have the resale value of a Fender. That may be unfair to G&L considering their good quality, but that's the way it usually is.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 01:35:04 AM »
Apart from value, looks and tone. As you can see in the 'Other Bass Brands' section I had a Maruszczyk at home. Also a Tele model, which is a bit the same, bodywise, as the G&L pictured here. But only one single coil and a bit hollowed out body, so I think it could have more neck dive than the G&L. That Maruszczyk has neck dive, but nothing to worry about, especially if you're used to a Tbird.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 04:09:18 AM »
If you decide to keep it but dive is a problem you could always put some ultralight tuners on there.  Worked wonders on my Greco bird.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 05:33:23 AM »
If the one I tried was a typical example, the neck dive was severe. Also keep in mind that if you do the trade and then decide that you don't like it, the G&L probably won't have the resale value of a Fender. That may be unfair to G&L considering their good quality, but that's the way it usually is.

Well, I did the deal...

The 1st thing I did after looking it over quickly, was to strap it up and see how it hung - as I suspected, it wasn't any worse than my T-Bird or Fenderbird - no problem... IME, neck dive is somewhat lessened by wearing a bass low - which is how I typically roll on stage, anyways...

Thanks for mentioning resale - I looked into it beforehand, and the typical resale on this ASAT will be close to what I could've gotten for my Jazz, although it might take a little longer... I have everything that came with it, including the build sheet, cert of authenticity, blank warranty registration form, etc... it was built on 7/29/14, and doesn't have a mark anywhere, case included...

I'll probably keep it, and trot it out as a novelty bass now and then - it does have an interesting look about it, and plays really well - the fretwork is very, very good... The neck is a #8, which in *this* case is Jazz width at the nut, but a little thicker front to back - it's pretty comfortable...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 05:35:16 AM »
Apart from value, looks and tone. As you can see in the 'Other Bass Brands' section I had a Maruszczyk at home. Also a Tele model, which is a bit the same, bodywise, as the G&L pictured here. But only one single coil and a bit hollowed out body, so I think it could have more neck dive than the G&L. That Maruszczyk has neck dive, but nothing to worry about, especially if you're used to a Tbird.

Yeah, the little bit of neck dive that it does have isn't any worse than my 'Birds - so, it wasn't a deal breaker in any way... Thanks for the input...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 05:36:22 AM »
If you decide to keep it but dive is a problem you could always put some ultralight tuners on there.  Worked wonders on my Greco bird.

It came from the factory with Hipshot ultralights - I'm pretty much good to go...

- georgestrings

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 02:06:22 PM »
The ASAT is the only G&L that I've always gassed for. I've still never had one, but was hoping you'd do the deal and like it so I could live vicariously through your experience.  ;) I'm glad it worked out.