Author Topic: Fender vs Gibson  (Read 10095 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re: Fender vs Gibson
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
I pretty much play whatever speaks to me...but it's usually been "Fenderish"

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »
I'm pretty ambidexterous in that regard, but lately I've been heard speaking Gretsch. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
I'm pretty ambidexterous in that regard, but lately I've been heard speaking Gretsch.

In my opinion, you have good taste.  My preferences, though, would be Gibson, Gretsch, Fender--in that order. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »

I'm not a big F kinda girl - but honestly, whatever anyone else plays and finds happiness with is just fine by me. I get my undies in bunch when I'm told that the big F is "the only real bass", "Leo got it right" etc., etc. by the big F Posse on that other forum tho.........    ;D   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
I love the bass that speaks to me today. Sometimes that's one of my Gibsons, or Fenders, or Grecos, or Ibanez, or parts basses, or... YMMV, but I find that people who insist on telling me what I should prefer playing (or playing through) are usually fools and/or blowhards. Play what you love and forget about checking to see if that's OK with anyone else.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »
Denis, this place is full of gibson snobs who even refuse to spell fender correctly. :rolleyes:

I don't really think it's snobbery. It's more a way of poking fun or striking back at anyone who tells you that you should only play Fender.

I love the bass that speaks to me today. Sometimes that's one of my Gibsons, or Fenders, or Grecos, or Ibanez, or parts basses, or... YMMV, but I find that people who insist on telling me what I should prefer playing (or playing through) are usually fools and/or blowhards. Play what you love and forget about checking to see if that's OK with anyone else.

^^^
This.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 04:59:03 AM »
...I get my undies in bunch when I'm told that the big F is "the only real bass", "Leo got it right" etc., etc. ...   

It's this one that bugs me, and that sentiment is not limited to guitars, either.

Lately I've been all about my Danelectro Longhorn. Hard to be snobby about that!

My list of basses includes one Fender, two Fender types (a G&L and a Don R. Miller), Gibsons, a Ric, a Jerry Jones, three BaCH NRs and a couple of Danelectros.

I only have one guitar, a 2002 MIM Classic '50s Telecaster.

Why do I feel like I've forgotten something?  :P
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:20 AM »
I always think about the guy who told me how heavy (weight) Gibson Tbirds are. I asked him if he ever touched one. He didn't.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »
I always think about the guy who told me how heavy (weight) Gibson Tbirds are. I asked him if he ever touched one. He didn't.

Haha, that's a perfect example right there.

My Fender is the third heaviest bass I own, and not by much.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 08:30:35 AM »
I have four fenders..........

On my Subaru, where they belong  ;D

Just two, Mark. The rears are called quarter panels. :D Unless, of course, the car is a VW Beetle or something old.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »

I'm with this.  A Fender, Gibson, Gretsch or Squier may be my pick of the day.  And yes, that other forum is quite Fender-centric.  I think much of that is because it skews much younger than this one, and many of the younger players don't have the experience with a variety of instruments and brands that we do.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »

Ignorance can be a very powerful delusion, whether the topic is basses or something else.  I've noticed that no matter what the topic, many times the ones who seem most convinced they have everything figured out are in reality the most clueless.  It's pretty easy for someone to memorize the pat answers to everything and then think he is some kind of guru. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:11:30 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
Just two, Mark. The rears are called quarter panels. :D Unless, of course, the car is a VW Beetle or something old.

Is my 1/2 of heine a quarter panel then :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
Lately I've been gigging the beat up Alvarez 6 string again...it's got enough notes...

And it snarls...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »

Once long ago, I went amp shopping while traveling to New York City.  It was a social trip, I didn't bring my bass.  Wanted to check out Edens and I'd found a store in NYC that had them.  At the time I favored a bright P-bass tone - with roundwounds.  Hey, I grew up on Live at Leeds, so it made sense to me.  The guy handed me a precision, with flats. I asked if they had anything else, told him what I liked, he looked at me with utter disdain and said, "You have to use flats on a P-bass."

I never did go back to that store, even after I moved to NYC.

Sometimes the bass that speaks to me is my Danelectro reissue which I paid all of $200 for.  I put rounds on that too :-p

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy