Author Topic: Fender vs Gibson  (Read 10113 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Fender vs Gibson
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »
I'm kind of an equal-opportunity bass guy.  I've enjoyed playing old Kay KB-2 basses and a number of different makes and models.

I had a 2000 Midnight Blue MIM Jazz for a number of years; it sound great, played great.  I also have a real 1963 Precision...and it's no better bass than the J is/was.  One sounded like a P, one sounded like a J, but in terms of "sound quality" I couldn't pick between them.  The P is a lot lighter, but it's normal for a J to run heavier than a P.  I also have a Squier Bronco with a Gretsch 2202 pickup that's a great-sounding and playing bass.  Nice light body, fast neck, all the hardware works great.

And no matter what I play, for some reason I sound like me.  Good or bad, that's about all I can ask.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »
Here's a pic of the MIM Squier I mentioned before:

I added the tort PG and bridge cover - it already had the QPs on it when I got it...

- georgestrings

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2014, 06:37:55 PM »
I'm fine with the sound and the handling of Fender P and J. And I like the look of a Jaguar bass though I didn't like the active electronics of the initial batch.  I have about half a dozen Fenders.

I'm an obsessive non-conformist so the prevalence and ubiquity of Fenders always bugged me. Many people think of Sid Vicious or the iconic The Clash - London Calling cover when they think of a P Bass. I can't help it, but I think of boring dance, Top 40 and non-descript Jazz-Funk bands when I think of a Fender. For some reason, these bands were never seen with a Thunderbird bass.

It's not an anti-Fender thing as such with me. I probably prefer Fender Strats (Blackmore! Gallagher! Gilmour! Hendrix! Boring dance and Top 40 bands!!!) and Teles (Status Quo! Keith Richards!) to any Gibson guitar though I have an affinity for Firebirds (reverse ones) which are hardly ever played by guitarists because they don't like neck-thrus, the darn cretins.

But in the end: If you can't get a decent sound out of any 400 Dollar bass available on the market today, you should perhaps play more tennis.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 12:25:28 AM »
But in the end: If you can't get a decent sound out of any 400 Dollar bass available on the market today, you should perhaps play more tennis.
+1
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
... or the iconic The Clash - London Calling cover...

Pennie Smith took that one - she was one of the house snappers for NME... she still has a little s/h book-shop in the same place since I was a teenager... lived round the corner from me... and I still have hundreds of her originals... she used to sell the scraps for 10p each... one of my favourite pics of hers I own is a shot of Muddy Waters with a Tele... much of the stuff I have is unpublished...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
Pennie Smith took that one - she was one of the house snappers for NME... she still has a little s/h book-shop in the same place since I was a teenager... lived round the corner from me... and I still have hundreds of her originals... she used to sell the scraps for 10p each... one of my favourite pics of hers I own is a shot of Muddy Waters with a Tele... much of the stuff I have is unpublished...

I don't know what you've got.  But I'd take great care of it.  Last week on TV they were showing an old Hendrix poster being sold for an incredibly high amount.  I don't even remember the amount.  But it was so high, I was beyond stunned.  My only thought, though, was that someone was making a big mistake and overpricing it by the thousands. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
I saw that on Antiques Roadshow and was amazed. And that was just a concert poster, imagine if it had been a good photo that hadn't been published before.

Ken, any more photos of famous musicians?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 11:25:53 PM »
I saw that on Antiques Roadshow and was amazed. And that was just a concert poster, imagine if it had been a good photo that hadn't been published before.

Ken, any more photos of famous musicians?

I think this was on that pawn shop show which I have been critical of before.  However, they're right more than I am.  Plus, on that Hendrix poster I would have said it was worth far less and it looks like I would have been very wrong.  Still, I find it hard to grasp how a poster like that can be worth so much. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »
The one I saw was definitely on Antiques Roadshow a couple of weeks ago, but since their new season just started last week, the show I saw was a repeat.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
The one I saw was definitely on Antiques Roadshow a couple of weeks ago, but since their new season just started last week, the show I saw was a repeat.

It's obviously similar items on different shows then.  I don't know what it is about Antiques Roadshow.  I've only seen it a few times.  But every time I'm left wondering why an aunt or uncle couldn't have left me with some obscure paintings or something now worth hundreds of thousands. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
I sold a few hundred of them a few years back... I still have a box of slides... Hawkwind with Lemmy, CSNY, Zep at Knebworth and loads of odds-n-sodz...

This is a low-res of some guy now gone...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:58:54 PM by Highlander »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
... and this guy, who's also joined the great rhythm section in the sky...

Most of them were 10x8 glossies...

No country legends though, Dave...

I have some movie "quads" and concert posters I sold - some I kept...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »
Posters... Cinema... original Terminator, but the rarer one of the two, the "art" one... original Bladerunner... Zep's TSRTS one... Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps... Star Trek, the Motion Picture...
Tour ones... Hotel California... Skynyrd's GBMB and On The British Road... Rush's Permanent Waves, the withdrawn one showing CHT Dewey Defeats Truman... I also have a withdrawn cover with it too... a beautiful PF Wish You Were Here "diver" shot... the one below...
All items I'll put on display one day as art...
Most of it's not even 3 figure values but I like them...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2014, 07:05:21 AM »

Just imagine what that Che pic on the fridge might bring today, Companero!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »
I'll bet you have a real treasure trove, Ken.

Just imagine what that Che pic on the fridge might bring today, Companero!

That's one I wouldn't care about even if it were valuable.  :P