Author Topic: Gibson 2015  (Read 3427 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson 2015
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »
Gibson flat out refuses to make anything resembling an accurate bass reissue even though they have no problem doing it with guitars. If we see anything like a 29% price increase on the flagship bass models -- like they're doing with the LP Standard guitar --  I predict bass sales will tank. On top of that, dropping the few matte finish models will really hurt.

Thunderbird street price (MAP) was $1599 in 2013. It went to $2179 in 2014. A 29% increase would put it at $2810. Do you really think they'll sell at that price? I don't. At that level, even a historically accurate reissue wouldn't sell well.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
Baz, they can't even sell four-stringers, why triple their burden? You have a way of being disparaging to their sales efforts ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »
Can we ever get Gibson to make a Baz Cooper custom Thunderbird 8 or 12 string bass?????

No, that's what Hamer is for. Oh wait...  :-\

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »
Gibson flat out refuses to make anything resembling an accurate bass reissue even though they have no problem doing it with guitars. If we see anything like a 29% price increase on the flagship bass models -- like they're doing with the LP Standard guitar --  I predict bass sales will tank. On top of that, dropping the few matte finish models will really hurt.

Thunderbird street price (MAP) was $1599 in 2013. It went to $2179 in 2014. A 29% increase would put it at $2810. Do you really think they'll sell at that price? I don't. At that level, even a historically accurate reissue wouldn't sell well.

A price like that would be absurd.  That's getting into Lull territory for a Bird, and as much as I love my Gibson's, I'd have to try something else at that price point.  Did they forget how many they sold at $1000 two years ago pre-anniversary models?  LOTS.  That outta help them when it comes to pricing.

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
I still kinda want a big Les Paul.......

Anyone need a moderately abused kidney?

You NEED one of these!  Only the 2013s have the bound neck and larger headstock so they're the ones to have IMO.  Mine sounds a little warmer than my Thunderbird but still has that thunderous low end.  Plus it has almost as much stage presence as you do, TBird1958!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 11:42:57 PM »
Can we ever get Gibson to make a Baz Cooper custom Thunderbird 8 or 12 string bass?????

After your work, by all accounts I've seen, it would be such a disappointment when they screw it up for you... ;)

There really should be a Scott Dasson signature TBird with some case candy ...

No need to fret, boys... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 04:08:01 AM »
Baz, they can't even sell four-stringers, why triple their burden? You have a way of being disparaging to their sales efforts ...

Maybe they'd get a better bulk price when they buy strings, at least. :rolleyes:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 07:08:21 AM »
You NEED one of these!  Only the 2013s have the bound neck and larger headstock so they're the ones to have IMO.  Mine sounds a little warmer than my Thunderbird but still has that thunderous low end.  Plus it has almost as much stage presence as you do, TBird1958!

That's a sweet bass, great pic too  ;)........... Maybe a black one for me...........
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 07:24:41 AM »
They need to make a Veronica Steed Sig.  :-*

That's chromy hardware, big effing tuners, a two point, '60s pups and no traditional staid colors.

...enlarged control cavity, recessed input jack...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »
...enlarged control cavity, recessed input jack...

yummy!  :-*  :gay:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
That's a sweet bass, great pic too  ;)........... Maybe a black one for me...........

Thanks!:)  YES--black is the perfect color for the VSLP!  It would match any patent leather accoutrements you might be wearing plus there's no need for chromification.  Maybe you could add jeweled knobs or a hot pink switch tip, hmmmm...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 09:53:40 PM »
Have you guys realized that there is a new TBird presented with those 2015 models? Three point-haters/challenged one rejoice is all I'm saying. TB Plus haters, listen up! Black hardware agnostics ... well, you can't habe it all ... plus lower frets and all. Go to the 2015 models in Dave's initial posting and after endless guitars, most of them LPs, a TBird will show up just before the firebird guitar.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 06:13:54 AM »
Last year, I wanted one of the non-reverses, ...the price was right...but finances were not.

With the new price points, there's no way I will ever allow myself to spend that much money on a bass. Never.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »

$2600 US pre-order at Guitar Center for the new T-bird.   And it appears to be the only bird still for sale.  :sad:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2015-Thunderbird-Electric-Bass-Guitar-110606852-i3870946.gc

Might be a good time to buy one of the 2014 models on sale though... like this SG for under $800 ...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-SG-Special-2014-Electric-Bass-Guitar-109863621-i3486826.gc
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 07:16:58 AM »
I still kinda want a big Les Paul.......

Anyone need a moderately abused kidney?

They have two of those big Les Paul basses at HOG and they are both in cherry burst.  If you mentioned my name, they probably would give you a decent price since they've been there for awhile.   I'm just saying"................ 8)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!