Author Topic: Gibson 2015  (Read 3405 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson 2015
« on: September 10, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »
I noticed last week that the big online retailers have most of Gibson's 2014 models on closeout. This time prices are only 10% lower than they've been all year. Then what's in store for 2015? Apparently much higher prices and far fewer models. No more cheaper satin finish models either.

Let's hope they at least keep the T-Bird, SG Bass and EB Bass. But IMHO steep price increases could kill them off. That would probably suit Henry J. just fine.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Gibson 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:06:52 PM »

I still kinda want a big Les Paul.......

Anyone need a moderately abused kidney? 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 04:24:05 AM »
This is gonna be interesting ...  :popcorn:

Deleting the Special Faded stuff is a severe mistake in my view. It gave smaller budgets a chance to get acquainted with the brand and I for one liked the Special Faded look. There is nothing less important on a guitar than the fin (from a musical aspect).

Mark, if you donate that special faded vintage relic kidney ("roadworn") to Henry J, he might give the 2015 TBird some chrome and you might get a chance to soil your panties!  :mrgreen:

In recent years, there has been a plethora of different Gibson bass models and spin-offs, but there was no visible concept in marketing them. Not one of those basses made it to a test in German guitar and bass mags (while hardly a month goes by where there is not the umpteenth LP or SG guitar variation being tested). That is the real issue with Gibson basses.

I doubt that we will see the end of the TBird or the SG Bass though, they are both consistent sellers and flagship models due to the history attached to them. If you asked anyone to draw a Gibson bass from memory, they will most likely either draw a Thunderbird or something EBish/SGish. But all the other models I'm not sure whether they will survive. The EB might, it is still relatively new, unless sales have been horrible.

I'm not entirely surprised, the frenzy of new Gibson bass model releases in recent years seemed wanton and desperate to me (if welcome from a collector's viewpoint - btw, none of them was a bad bass). Niche releases of Flying Vs, Explorers, RDs, EB 335/Midtown Basses and Rippers/Grabbers/G-3s cannot give Gibson sustainable bass sales.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:22:04 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:27:20 AM »
Uwe,

I'd agree with your thoughts about what Gibson has done over the past few years, in fact I found it to be almost overwhelming in some ways. I can't for example, understand why they don't keep the G-3 in production, it's very nice instrument. As you've mentioned the 'Bird is long overdue for an upgrade
of every part, but I doubt anything good will come along anytime soon - Henry J is the death of Gibson.         

BTW Uwe, wish you were here now, Seattle has had a glorious Summer, there's no place like this place when it's sunny! 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:35:46 AM »
We're flying to LAX on Saturday in a week from now! I have a bass stuck in Seattle ..

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »
 While the plethora off models was refreshing, as Mark said it was overwhelming, so many basses in a short period of time, difficult to keep up even for a gear whore like me. Many of the release fell short if their potential. The NR was in particular disappointing. What baffles me is Gibsons refusal to give us what we want, accurate reproductions of their most famous models. Take the SG for example, nice bass and a fine execution, I'm even ok with the tamed neck pickup. I miss the classic control layout, a three selector with a chicken head would have been so cool. I won't even get started on the Thunderbird.   
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »
There really should be a Scott Dasson signature TBird with some case candy ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:44:50 AM »
LMFAO! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »

They need to make a Veronica Steed Sig.  :-*

That's chromy hardware, big effing tuners, a two point, '60s pups and no traditional staid colors.

Uwe, are you bringing your phone? will it work here in the States?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
I'm bringing cell phone and Blackberry and of course it will work. Will let you have all the contact details before our trip.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
They need to make a Veronica Steed Sig.  :-*

That's chromy hardware, big effing tuners, a two point, '60s pups and no traditional staid colors.

YES!!  We want a Veronica sig model!!!!   8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »
I have no complaints about the SG models, even with the TB+ pup disguised as a mudbucker. All the various faded etc. finishes (and not to forget the SG Supreme!) were fine as well. They gave some thought to those, yes playing it safe. Not sure what more they can do with that model besides long scale (like they did for Brian Ray) and figure out how to not have neck dive, maybe some pickup options.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 11:36:45 AM »
YES!!  We want a Veronica sig model!!!!   8)

It'll have a model train rather than a Thunderbird on the pick guard, I warn you. And that model train will be entering a long, dark tunnel ...  :rolleyes:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »

Who is the bad influence on who here?  ;)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
Can we ever get Gibson to make a Baz Cooper custom Thunderbird 8 or 12 string bass?????