Author Topic: A newfound respect for Gibson's finish department  (Read 1068 times)

georgestrings

• View Profile
A newfound respect for Gibson's finish department
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
I'm finding out just how difficult it is to law down a quality finish on a Thunderbird body - all those lines and contours are no cakewalk... I've been working on a seafoam green paintjob on my Fenderbird built, and after spending more than a week on the basecoat, I've finally moved on to the clearcoat - unfortunately, I'll be wetsanding out a couple of runs before laying down the next coat - oh well...

- georgestrings

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: A newfound respect for Gibson's finish department
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »

Looking forward to some pics George!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:49:39 AM »
What in particular do you find difficult about finishing a Thunderbird body compared to others?

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 03:54:46 AM »
Looking forward to some pics George!

Probably in about 2 weeks, Mark - I've been working on it in between a fairly busy gigging schedule...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:14 AM »
What in particular do you find difficult about finishing a Thunderbird body compared to others?

My biggest challenge seems to be getting adequate coverage around the contours of the neck cutouts, without getting runs in the neighboring areas... Also, the "ridges" are giving me a bit of difficulty as well - I'm pretty tenacious as a rule, though - I'll get it done to my satisfaction one way or another...

- georgestrings

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:18:41 AM »
I'm new to finishing myself, I'm at my 6th instument as we speak. I think understanding different products (comatibleness/temerature/variables) and understanding where in the process what went wrong takes time. Compressor/gun too, I guess I just have to shoot many bodies before I can be satisfied without having to 'go back and start anew' on any of the steps in the process. At least I have learned that a mahogany body needs some skill in the grain filling process. At least things are getting easier when doing it often :)

However, to respect gibson for their current finishing is stretching it a tad far... The way I see it, I have improved my grain filling skills during the last 10 months, going from bad to acceptable. Gibson on the other hand, have spent over 100 years going from GREAT to .. uh.. I'm not sure, but most of today's gibsons are not grain filled :) I know, it costs more to have a worker filling the grains, but at least they have had the time to figure out how to do it at a proper cost. And don't get me started with gloss.....

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »

However, to respect gibson for their current finishing is stretching it a tad far... The way I see it, I have improved my grain filling skills during the last 10 months, going from bad to acceptable. Gibson on the other hand, have spent over 100 years going from GREAT to .. uh.. I'm not sure, but most of today's gibsons are not grain filled :) I know, it costs more to have a worker filling the grains, but at least they have had the time to figure out how to do it at a proper cost. And don't get me started with gloss.....

Way too much gets past Gibson's QC inspectors.

And gloss? I understand that time is money but if you're going to leave a matte finish, don't call it "vintage gloss" when it's not glossy and not vintage.

Then again, it's about what I expect from Henry Juszkiewicz. He's the Eustace Haney of the musical instrument world.