Author Topic: Fans of classic westerns: Andrew V. McLaglen dies  (Read 610 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Fans of classic westerns: Andrew V. McLaglen dies
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/arts/andrew-mclaglen-director-of-westerns-dies-at-94.html?action=click&contentCollection=Television&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Besides movies like Shenandoah, Chisum and McLintock, he directed episodes of Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, The Virginian and Wagon Train.

He was living in the San Juan islands in Washington, directing plays at a community theater.

R.I.P., Andrew.  You and your dad set milestones in movies and TV.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Fans of classic westerns: Andrew V. McLaglen dies
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »
+1

rip

Weird... a couple of days ago I was thinking to myself that I'd like to get a copy of the Quiet Man with his dad - that classic fight scene...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »
I have it.  Let me counsel you to buy only the Blu-Ray version.  The standard DVD transfer is absolutely AWFUL. 

Here's one review on Amazon: "Rather, what I would like to briefly comment on is the utterly pathetic transfer of this classic film to DVD. It states quite clearly on the back of the cover that this film has been digitally remastered. I took that to mean both video and audio. WRONG. The picture quality of this DVD is shocking, one of the worst I have ever seen. Believe me when I say this -- the VHS version I purchased in 1991 has a better video clarity than this. At times it's actually difficult to make out the actors features. The company behind this, ARTISAN I believe they are called, should be ashamed. I have a copy of the recently released and remastered CASABLANCA DVD. That film was made in 1942, yet it looks as if it was just made, such is the sharpness of the video. The Quiet Man deserved the same treatment, but didn't get it. Shame on ARTISAN."

There are no reviews specific to the Blu-Ray version, but it's $17 and might be worth a try.

Until then, my laserdisc has a better image than my DVD copy.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »
i could never find bullet holes in the shot guys.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »

Wat, youse is looking for realism in 40's through 60's westerns?  Fugeddaboudit!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 06:58:01 AM »
No blueray here... I'm banned for cost reasons... (but I'd only upgrade that one... and that one... maybe that one... oh yeah and that, and that, and that... can't forget that one... get the drift...?) :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 04:20:11 AM »

Ah, the good ole days ;).
Rick