Author Topic: Value of a Marshall Major?  (Read 4370 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
Re: Value of a Marshall Major?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:37:58 PM »
Ah, but what if it is a bass boat?   :rimshot:

We need a drum set app here for that one!

BUt then. what is that unique sound that makes the Major so desirable? 

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »
I'm thinking the boat is the better choice if you think you'll miss it less than the Marshall.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »

You just plug in and you sound EXACTLY like James Jameson :mrgreen:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 06:08:04 AM »
I think he's smart for keeping the Major.  It will only increase in value.  I'm planning on fixing the cosmetic issues with mine and keeping it as well.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
We need a drum set app here for that one!

It's the only Marshall with an ultralinear output topology and requires very good quality tubes and more advanced tech knowledge than your average Fender-knockoff, which made already rare amps even more rare. They have quite the reputation for dying spectacularly.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »
Thanks PBG. But, sound-wise.... why would I buy one?

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just not familiar with it.

And how much is it due to the head versus whatever cabs someone paired it with.

Thanks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 03:47:01 AM »
It's a very powerful midrange-forward sound. Even with 200+ cleanish watts on tap, the Major is not a low-end monster, but the brash growl that it does possess is like nothing else. Old Ampegs are punchier and deeper sounding, and vintage Fender is warm and pillowly. The Major is closest to a Hiwatt but with less headrooom. Majors and Gibson basses have a love/hate relationship because a big mudbucker will send an unstable output section into literal fireworks,  but that's only on one that is in bad shape to begin with. A healthy Major is sonically smack in the middle of a Hiwatt and the more common Marshalls like the Superbass or JTM45. They also sound glorious when overdriven- think "Space Truckin'."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 05:53:50 AM »
It's a very powerful midrange-forward sound. Even with 200+ cleanish watts on tap, the Major is not a low-end monster, but the brash growl that it does possess is like nothing else. Old Ampegs are punchier and deeper sounding, and vintage Fender is warm and pillowly. The Major is closest to a Hiwatt but with less headrooom. Majors and Gibson basses have a love/hate relationship because a big mudbucker will send an unstable output section into literal fireworks,  but that's only on one that is in bad shape to begin with. A healthy Major is sonically smack in the middle of a Hiwatt and the more common Marshalls like the Superbass or JTM45. They also sound glorious when overdriven- think "Space Truckin'."
Yep couldn't have said it better myself. When I bought it I considered it a poor mans Hiwatt. Definatley less Headroom than a Hiwatt, no where near as punchy a Ampeg but man does this thing grind. I think I am going to recover it in the correct material and reverse some of the mods made over the years. I used mainly non reverse Thunderbirds with it over the years, it was a great combination, I even had great tone with a EB3 though I always ran both pickups, I don't recall the setting I used, some were stock wired others modded to a three position selector that allowed me to have both pickups with out the choke involved.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:08:30 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »
Years ago a customer of mine brought in TWO PURPLE Majors to get cases made. And we used purple laminate.  ;D Never got to play through one.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
Thanks PBG. They sound pretty awesome!

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »

There's one listed at Austin Vintage Guitars for $2750, which is probably still on the high side, but much more in the ballpark than the ones I've seen listed on FeeBay.  I don't know what a lot of these sellers are thinking, do they just like to see their gear up on eBay?  Cause that stuff isn't going anywhere at those prices.

I've had my '72 Major since about 1999.  It's my go-to bass amp, when I can stand lugging it around.  I run it into an old JBL-loaded 2x15" cab.  With the old Thunderbird, there's nothing else like it.  For some reason, it also sounds particularly good with a Fender JP-90 that I have.  Scary good.   :mrgreen:

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »
Out of curiosity I Goggled Marshall Major and found there were two tone control versions as well as a guitar and bass version?

(Also found some informed comments on another board by a fellow whose name has a line drawn through it.)

;)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 05:36:31 AM »
Out of curiosity I Goggled Marshall Major and found there were two tone control versions as well as a guitar and bass version?

The earliest versions (first year only, I believe) had only three knobs with a sort of "active" tone circuitry.  They were the ones that were affectionately nicknamed "The Pig"' and they are EXTREMELY rare.  After that, Marshall changed them over to their standard control layout like their other amps, even though the circuit is quite different.

I don't know if there were two different versions of the early Major, but the later ones did come in guitar & bass versions.  The circuit differences are minimal.  Either version can be easily converted to the other, only requires replacing about six parts.