Author Topic: The Polaris Slingshot  (Read 2642 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: The Polaris Slingshot
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
I am left wondering how long the term "gingers" has been commonly used in referring to redheads.  Must have been some time in the last decade or two...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 06:33:33 AM »
a lot longer than that. i looked on line and found "ginger"examples from the 1700's. a brit thing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:41:42 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
Redheads in Dublin were the most beautiful women I've ever seen.  Adam Smith said that Irish prostitutes in London were perhaps the most beautiful women in the British dominions. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
a lot longer than that. i looked on line and found "ginger"examples from the 1700's. a brit thing.

1700s? Wow, I didn't realize Ginger Baker was that old!  :mrgreen:

Anyway, for those of you who haven't heard it, here's Craig Ferguson's sea shanty.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
The "Beware of Mr. Baker" documentary presented a picture of someone even more bitter and stubborn than I was expecting, which especially became clear after watching it the second time. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
I like the Aussie term for redheads. Ranger, as in Orangutan. As for trikes, Alice cooper rides them so if he likes them they must be cool. Alice Cooper is still cool right?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
Redheads in Dublin were the most beautiful women I've ever seen.  Adam Smith said that Irish prostitutes in London were perhaps the most beautiful women in the British dominions.

Well okay. . . but were they red headed?  :rimshot:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
Well okay. . . but were they red headed?  :rimshot:

They were beautiful women, a number with red hair which is, of course, common there.  Most were out of my league.  I did the best with a pretty French woman with a new job in Dublin eager to make friends.  Next stop:  France. 

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 07:38:08 AM »
I am left wondering how long the term "gingers" has been commonly used in referring to redheads.  Must have been some time in the last decade or two...

I've only heard it since facebook came around. Seems really overused now.