Author Topic: Gibson's latest marketing gimmick  (Read 2512 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson's latest marketing gimmick
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/004532.html

I don't even begin to understand the appeal of Second Life, but if you're into this, it seems you can now go to Gibson Island and play virtual Gibsons. Probably with virtually crappy workmanship.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Gibson's latest marketing gimmick
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:40:46 PM »

WTF are they smoking?........
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 05:37:10 AM »
It all makes sense to me. In his Wallstreet Journal interview (or was it the Financial Times?), Henry J declared what his role model companies are. No, not Fender, not Steinway, nothing musical. He named Nike and Harley-Davidson as symbols for brand names having transcended the original product. And that is what he is trying to do. Gibson is not Ric, they don't want to stay an instrument maker, they want to be a life style brand. As long as that leads to occasional bass production, I don't have issues with it. Gibson handbags would not disturb me and some of the more prominent members of our forum might view them as just the right accessory for their stage outfit!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:39:52 AM »
I dont see a big issue with it either it - basically a SIM's Gibson world.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 05:58:53 AM »
I played Guitar Hero on a Les Paul some weeks ago. not completely my thing...

I think they're doing right! Look at the youngest Fiat heir. What's his name? I believe a grandson of Angelli's. He's making hip Fiat shoes, shirts and bags and now they're making nice cars too, like the new 500. He does the same by making it a brand you want to have.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 06:58:28 AM »
Its the same kind of logic as the Fender brand IMHO. I mean if you honestly wanted a Real Fender guitar wouldn't it make sense to buy either an "L" series Fender, a Pre EB Musicman or a G&L?
 Fender (like Gibson, Ampeg et al) have been owned by so many companies in the interim all bringing supposedly "more efficient production" techniques in to play that a new off the rack production made Fender has ended up a long way from what Leo did with any of the guitars that were made on his shift with each company.

rant over...  Just my humble opinion...  BTW I play a CBS Fender and its very nice , but it aint a Leo.
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:16:23 AM »
I guess there are a lot of cheaper no-name guitars which are as good or better than Fender. of course you pay for the name and you just want to have 'Fender'  or 'Gibson' at your headstock. Same as Levi's, coca-Cola, et cetera.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 07:39:31 AM »

"Gibson handbags would not disturb me and some of the more prominent members of our forum might view them as just the right accessory for their stage outfit!"

It would need to have alot of chrome and bullets attached to it............... ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:40:23 AM »
Let's design one!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 07:51:55 AM »
George Lucus started really big merchandising with Star Wars. The real money is in the Brand Merchandise for companies not in the actual product.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 07:53:16 AM »
Well, a lot of (Dutch) bands make more money out of their merchandise than they do out of their real gig too.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 09:13:26 AM »
George Lucus started really big merchandising with Star Wars. The real money is in the Brand Merchandise for companies not in the actual product.

That's true in a lot of cases. But there are plenty of companies whose basic product is still their primary business. I don't think any guitar company can create the kind of almost universal appeal where the brand image becomes more important than the product.

Anyway, I can always use this thread as an excuse to post these again.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:47:50 AM »

Well............I'll take some condoms Dave. ($75.00 a box  :o)  I am in favor of safe sex if nothing else.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:50:44 AM »
Gibson condoms only work on Mahogany wood, not maple!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 11:14:45 AM »
And they are made from nitro finish, so you and your partner(s) practically don't feel them, it's like they weren't there. Resonance is greatly improved that way. Use poly finish condoms - preferably in fista red -  only for the most rugged and straining purposes.

Can't wait for the new "Relic Gibson Condoms" line though.

Uwe 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...