Author Topic: R.I.P. James Garner  (Read 1148 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
R.I.P. James Garner
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
Doggone it!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-garner-rockford-files-maverick-dies-442238

One of my long-time favorite actors.

Los Angeles Times critic Charles Champlin wrote in 1986 that “James Garner is to the American character what David Niven was to the English character: a lover in preference to a fighter (but capable of heroics), worldly and charming with elements of the vagabond and the debonair rascal, a sort of innocent rogue with an easy way with urbane dialogue.”
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: R.I.P. James Garner
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »
So many good movies in his lifetime.  One of my favorites is Victor/Victoria.  He was perfect in that role, as in so many others.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
They all get older and have to move on... rip and thanks for the memories...

I still have a single of TRF's theme...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
I remember him in The Great Escape, shepherding Donald Pleasance...a great role.  Many others followed.  Perhaps one of the most "American" actors in his persona and presence.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 03:56:14 PM »
He had the ability to do what any great actor should be able to do and that's to totally become the character he was playing.  Definitely one of the most memorable actors I've ever seen. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »
My dad loved all TV westerns, but Maverick was his favorite western and James Garner as Bret was his favorite character.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »
I really liked the rotating westerns with Maverick, Cheyenne and Sugarfoot.  Will Hutchins who played Tom Brewster, aka: Sugarfoot was a nice character. Clint Walker was probably my favorite as Cheyenne Bodie.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »
I really liked the rotating westerns with Maverick, Cheyenne and Sugarfoot.  Will Hutchins who played Tom Brewster, aka: Sugarfoot was a nice character. Clint Walker was probably my favorite as Cheyenne Bodie.

Yeah but his name was Cheyenne how cool was that!  :)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »

They were all from Warner Brothers studios, but IIRC Maverick was a separate show on every week with Garner and Jack Kelly alternating most weeks. Cheyenne and Sugarfoot were the alternating series. And then there was Bronco Lane with Ty Hardin. Bronco started as a character on Cheyenne and later became one of the alternating shows.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 04:39:48 AM »

I loved all that stuff ;D
RIP James.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:22:26 AM »
They were all from Warner Brothers studios, but IIRC Maverick was a separate show on every week with Garner and Jack Kelly alternating most weeks. Cheyenne and Sugarfoot were the alternating series. And then there was Bronco Lane with Ty Hardin. Bronco started as a character on Cheyenne and later became one of the alternating shows.

Thank you! I forgot about Bronco Lane. Yes, Warner Brothers produced all of those - and the same men's chorus sang most of the themes.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »
Bronco Lane, my first favorite cowboy series! I loved that theme song.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »
Interesting that the clip you posted has Pernell Roberts in it...evidently before Bonanza days.

My nomination for the most dramatic western theme is Lawman....LOVE that song. Interesting that it's another Warner Brothers production, following the model of western themes with a male chorus doing the vocals.

By coincidence I just watched Eastwood's Pale Rider, in which John Russell (Lawman) played the unscrupulous leader of the enforcer "deputies".

Doggone it - can't make the window come up.....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:51:06 PM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 01:17:30 PM »
Jim Rockford's car chase compilation

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
Wonder what the Rockford Firebird would be worth on the resale market today?  Lotsa bucks, for sure.