Author Topic: Help!!! - The Banjo Riddle ...  (Read 3457 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!! - The Banjo Riddle ...
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »
Neil Young's electric guitar playing is an acquired taste/pushes boundaries (however you want to put it, I find it entertaining to watch if not always to listen to it), but he plays all other instruments (including acoustic guitar) with great discipline and even precision. It's only on the electric where the monster tears loose. If you want to hear a harmonica played like Neil Young plays electric guitar, you have to look somewhere else: Bob Dylan.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:39:04 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »
I've often wondered what sort of incriminating pictures or evidence Neil had that Crosby Stills and Nash would ever have let him join them. Must have been convincing.

Anyway, a friend sent me this today, I don't know why, but Leon should learn the banjo part.  ;)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
brilliant!
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »
Cute!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 04:23:35 PM »
They sing in key well not unlike Ms. Hoffs.  Still, some shortcomings can be overlooked :rolleyes:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 04:58:13 PM »
I like the drum kit.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 08:05:34 PM »
I like the drum kit.

One un-mic'ed drum. Just as it should be.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »
More fiddle than banjo, but I figured it would fit here.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
That was a good movie gweimer. Hope your son likes Hee Haw Uwe.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »
Playing banjo doesn't necessarily mean he wants to play music where banjo is the lead instrument. There's plenty of folk and rural music where banjo is an essential part but in the background.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 04:58:34 AM »
You can bet if Leon plays banjo, then it will be lead banjo! I know my son, he would love what these two guys do in that vid (and it is nice!). That scene in Deliverance where Jon Voight guitar-banjo duels with that poor product of umpteenth generation Redneck incest actually set him off on the whole banjo thing.

He used to hold it against me that he wasn't born in time in Southern California to join Guns & Roses in the 80ies. Later, it was just a grudge that he wasn't born blind and black in a shack in the Mississppi Delta sometime in the 20ies of the last century. I am now bracing myself for the accusation why I as well as my ancestors did not mate more frequently with our siblings, our parents and our blighted offspring in the Appalachians ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »
Dueling banjos in the movie (the music) was from Eric Weisberg...from New York City...

I think he had a degree in Double-bass from Julliard.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
You can bet if Leon plays banjo, then it will be lead banjo! I know my son, he would love what these two guys do in that vid (and it is nice!). That scene in Deliverance where Jon Voight guitar-banjo duels with that poor product of umpteenth generation Redneck incest actually set him off on the whole banjo thing.

Lord help us.

Dueling banjos in the movie (the music) was from Eric Weisberg...from New York City...

True, but the song was stolen from Arthur Smith, who successfully sued. Don Reno played banjo on the 1955 original (Feudin' Banjos).

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 07:01:45 PM »

He used to hold it against me that he wasn't born in time in Southern California to join Guns & Roses in the 80ies. Later, it was just a grudge that he wasn't born blind and black in a shack in the Mississppi Delta sometime in the 20ies of the last century. I am now bracing myself for the accusation why I as well as my ancestors did not mate more frequently with our siblings, our parents and our blighted offspring in the Appalachians ...

He's going to need at least one pair of Bib'alls (overalls) to be authentic.  The last time I looked there was exactly one manufacturer of bib overalls in America - Round House: http://www.round-house.com/collections/round-house-made-in-usa-bib-overalls .  I love mine although the wife and daughter refuse to be seen in public with me when I wear them  :-[   I prefer the true style of the Hickory Stripe fabric myself  ;)   

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 05:40:49 AM »
I read where Don Reno never got anything from the music used in the movie...I have a tab of his original recording, and it is wicked hard to play.