Author Topic: Switching string brands - flatwound advice needed  (Read 7530 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Switching string brands - flatwound advice needed
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »
Currently I have TI flats on everything.  This is mostly due to being able to get them for $40ish a set (about what any other brand cost in store here at the time) and stocking up, but the middishness is getting to me on some basses (they seem to get more middish once the break in too).  Love them on the Victory, where they really bring out the bite, and will keep them there.  Also pretty good on the RD Artist with active treble and bass controls  the middishness balances out nicely here, but not so much anymore on my shorties (EB3 and  especially the Triumph).

I need a new flatwound.  I would like them to be nickel, but from my searching, my only other options seem to be Pyramid Golds (LOVE the geetar version on my archtop acoustic but the bass version is tres cher... still cheaper than TIs tho... gauges seem weird too, but you never know until you try them) and Rotosound 77 Monel Flats.  Anybody know of any others?

I was considering LaBella Deep Talkers but a) they're steel and b) many reviews complain about the stiffness/feel (despite the general positive nods from some of you lot).

I plain refuse to use rounds (on a bass) - they destroy my fingers (hypersensitive due to eczema). 

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on these strings as compared to TIs?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:57:03 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Swithing string brands - flatwound advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
Allparts  supposedly 45-105 .  Cost me $5 a set, $10 retail plus shipping for non dealers.  Here they are on my Grabber.  Nice silk wrap and smooth tone.   

http://www.allparts.com/ST-9046-000-45-105-Flat-Wound-Bass-Strings_p_3519.html
They mic out to 40-60-80-100

They are stainless which is theoretically better for someone with eczema (dermatitis)
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/nickel-allergy.html

I can't see spending more for flatwounds, which I have on around a dozen basses from EBOs to Ps and Js.  IMO there's really not much difference between the APs and Chromes or Fenders and they sound better than LaBella 760 FL.

I'd rather spend money replacing strings often on the basses I have strung with roundwounds.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Labellas are my pick, and I understand they have a new low tension line in flats that just came out.  I haven't tracked parts numbers yet.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »
Ever try compression wounds? They are oval wraps that have some characteristics of rounds but smoother. Ghs makes the pressure wounds and compressors for Ken Smith. The alloy of the wraps is nickel iron. For flats I don't mind the tension of La Bellas but Rotos feel way more tense to me. There's also GHS precision flats and DR makes flats. I thought the DRs were way to thuddy and had a dead E string in the set I tried. Black Diamond and Ernie Ball fall into the chromes / Fender sound.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 06:58:33 PM »
I like chrome flats on fenders and the compression winds are great too.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
They are stainless which is theoretically better for someone with eczema (dermatitis)
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/nickel-allergy.html

I have dishydrotic eczema (genetic) not the allergic kind (reactive); nickel is irrelevant in such a case (went through the patch testing to prove it before diagnosis), but thanks for the thought (even doctors assume allergic eczema - I had to go through 6 dematologists, who all gave up on trying to figure out what the cause was until I was finally sent to the city's top allergist who said I ain't allergic to squat).

Thanks for the allparts tip - at that price I might be willing to try stainless, just to see.

As for compression wound aka ground/pressure wound suggestions, I'm not really looking for more highs, just less mid bump, so I don't think that would necessarily be up my alley.

Hmm, I have heard good things about Chromes (mostly from Aussie Mark  :P).  They are stainless, but also easy to find anywhere in a hurry.

.... I don't know why I am being so indecisive about this.

Nobody ever used the Rotos?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 04:44:54 PM »

Yep - RS77S.  Pictured here:

They were on about a week. 

These may have been okay, but I have had problems more than once with Rotos going dead on me quickly (can't recall if that was the case here; used to use 66s a lot).  I'm admittedly the wrong guy to ask about flats, though.  I've figured out that they are the kiss of death for me.  Putting them on pretty much guarantees that I'll stop playing that bass.  A lot of folks play the heck out of them, but they are just not my thing and I was still figuring that out back when this pic was taken.  I will say that the ones I tried/liked best were the GHS Precision Flats on my Mangum-1.  Tried Chromes too, but never got to the TIs or LaBellas.

I'm maybe a little strange in that I have saved literally every string/pack that has been changed, and I have these 77s back in their orig. package.  Tried them on my Triumph too, and so I know they'd fit that.  Anyway... very little play time and if for any reason you'd want them just to check out, they are yours for postage.  Should be pretty cheap from here to Canada.  LMK

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 06:52:19 AM »
You know, I just might take you up on that.  I would further propose a trade (I too have saved most of the strings I have taken off basses).  There were some unidentified rounds on my Triumph when it came to me.  I remember them sounding good on that bass (red silks IIRC); want em?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »
If you're trying to avoid mids, you might want to steer clear of the Chromes. The roto 77s are probably more up your alley. They start out bright but mellow out lots when they break in.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
You know, I just might take you up on that.  I would further propose a trade (I too have saved most of the strings I have taken off basses).  There were some unidentified rounds on my Triumph when it came to me.  I remember them sounding good on that bass (red silks IIRC); want em?

Yeah that's cool.  Shoot me a message with your shipping info whenever, and I'll reply back with mine...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
Re: Switching string brands - flatwound advice needed
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »
Nice; PM sent.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
Hmm, I have heard good things about Chromes (mostly from Aussie Mark  :P).  They are stainless, but also easy to find anywhere in a hurry.

And, if you can't find Chromes, Ernie Ball Flatwounds are the exact same strings, only in different packaging.

My experience with Rotosound flats is limited - I have a light set on the Vox Wyman bass I bought - the strings came with it - they go well with that bass.  Some years ago I bought a set of the Steve Harris Rotos, but the tension was way too high for me to get any decent tone out of them at all - they were like trying to play railway tracks.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 06:08:52 AM »
That's the same thing I hear about La Bellas.  Not sure I'm too worried about high tension on a shorty. I actually find it easier to play fingerstyle with higher tension (especially a one-finger JJ hook)... though lately I'm mostly pickin.... kinda wanna change that on a few songs where I don't bust into chords at some point. Anyway, the price is right on the Roto's from Chromium so we'll see.

Interesting tip about Ernie and the D'Adds, Mark.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 07:28:40 AM »
And, if you can't find Chromes, Ernie Ball Flatwounds are the exact same strings, only in different packaging.

Are you sure about that? I have used both and remember them seeming to sound/feel/look different. Also Ernie Ball sells a 55-110 set that D'Addario doesn't.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:40:45 AM »
The La Bella 760M 1954 Original strings are big and stiff but sound great. (on a P bass anyway)