Author Topic: I'm building a Fenderbird  (Read 1609 times)

georgestrings

• View Profile
I'm building a Fenderbird
« on: May 20, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »
I've wanted one for awhile, and grabbed a donor Epi T-bird off of my local CL a few months ago for $100, with a hardshell case... I've actually enjoyed playing the Epi, after setting it up and tweaking it to my tastes - and have gigged it a little with great results... This has convinced me that the stock pups will work out just fine, as long as the neck change doesn't alter the tone drastically - we'll see...

I've been scouting for a Fender P neck since then - since the Epi neck was almost 1.7 at the nut, and one of my main players is a Highway One with a similar neck... I was pretty sure I was going to buy a MIM off of ebay for around $200, when my local CL came thru for me again: I picked up an '11 American Special P neck for $125 last sunday!!! This neck is like new, and I LOVE the profile - the only downside is that the tuners aren't very good - I think the seller scrounged them up from somewhere, and used the '11 tuners on a Warmoth neck he had - no biggie, considering... I'm leaning towards springing for some Hipshot HB7s for it - we'll see... I'm going to have a local NAPA mix up a can of seafoam green laquer, and spray the body myself - then put the Epi Goth stuff back on it until I decide what I want to end up with...

I'm taking it down to my luthier to have the body routed out for the neck - then, we'll get this party started!!! Here's some pics of what I have so far:

The Epi Goth neck will probably go on ebay - I sort of hate to part with it, since it's got great fretwork - but I really won't have a use for it once the body is routed out... Anyways, I'll update this thread as the build progresses...

- georgestrings

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: I'm building a Fenderbird
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:19:16 PM »
Sounds like you got a great deal on your bass & neck!! Good luck with the project!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:03:01 PM »
Sure does.
Please keep this alive

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »
Sounds like you got a great deal on your bass & neck!! Good luck with the project!!

Sure did - and thanks...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »
Sure does.
Please keep this alive

Will do - I'm hoping to have it back next week...

- georgestrings

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
You can't beat a deal like that on an American P neck, even without good tuners.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:13:34 AM »
You can't beat a deal like that on an American P neck, even without good tuners.

Agreed - a look on ebay tells me I could easily triple my money on that neck, if I wanted to... The existing tuners are atleast functional - they just aren't in as good of condition, nor do they work *as well* as similar tuners on my Highway One P and Hot Rod Jazz... I'll either replace them with the same, or shell out some extra $$$ for some Hipshots - but there's no hurry to do anything with them just yet...

I'm also planning a bridge change, since the Epi Goth has a black 3 point on it - that's also going to wait, since I want to see how the Fender neck is going to line up in it's new pocket... I have to admit, I'm actually getting a little excited seeing this thing come together...

- georgestrings

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
Nice score on the neck! Can't wait to see it finished.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
Nice score on the neck! Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks, bud...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
It lives!!! I got the body back early from the luthier, and he did an excellent job of the neck pocket routing - it's a snug fit, and perfectly centered... I didn't have to shim any to get a good setup, although the stock 3pnt bridge is nearly all the way down... I filled in the old neck bolt holes, and made my own for the MIA Fender neck, and put everything together for a quick and dirty "dry fit" - it played well, sounded great, and didn't look too bad... so, I gigged it last night... It did just fine on the gig, and will be a real looker when it's painted, and has a new chrome bridge, tuners, and a new pickguard...

At any rate, here's a quick pic of it thus far:

- georgestrings

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
So far, so good.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »
Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished bass.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
So far, so good.

Thanks - I'm happy with things so far...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »
Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished bass.

Thanks - I'm thinking a chrome bridge and knobs, seafoam green paint, and I'm sorta leaning towards a white T-bird pickguard - although I haven't made up my mind on that... I'll probably see what the current PG looks like against the seafoam green, then make that call...

I'll definitely post pics when it's finished...

- georgestrings