Author Topic: TI Jazz Flats users - LaBella wants your business  (Read 7792 times)

ilan

• View Profile
TI Jazz Flats users - LaBella wants your business
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:31:40 AM »
Introducing "Low Tension Flexible Flats" - .042, .056, .070, .100

Total Tension: 134.9lbs (61.19kg) - that's less than TI Flats! 

http://www.labella.com/low-tension-flexible-flats-bass-strings/

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: TI Jazz Flats users - LaBella wants your business
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
Steel vs Nickel pfffffft

Also the guaging is not my cup of tea - 118 won't work on older Gibsons, and I like to get the thickest that will fit the tuners (approx 105 like the TIs).

Low tension was never the selling point for me anyway (esp not on a shortie!).

That said I have been thinking of trying some other brands on some of my instruments, maybe even tapes.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »
Steel vs Nickel pfffffft

Also the guaging is not my cup of tea - 118 won't work on older Gibsons, and I like to get the thickest that will fit the tuners (approx 105 like the TIs).

Low tension was never the selling point for me anyway (esp not on a shortie!).

That said I have been thinking of trying some other brands on some of my instruments, maybe even tapes.

The 118 is the B on the 5 string set. The E is 100, same as the long scale version of the TI flats.

My problem with TI flats is that they're mostly blurry mids and low mids, with not enough fundamental or high end. Or clarity. Can't say that I would like the LaBellas better but I might try them.

Edit: I see that bassstringsonline has the new LaBellas for $45 US vs $79 for the TIs.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:58:03 AM »
TI shorties are 105 (or 104). 

5 string set or no, you can use them for whichever string you want (though you're right; I didn't notice that).  Had a bud who did that - tossed the actual G string.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
My favorite Labella Deep Talkin' Flats are the 760FL set which run .043-.060-.082-.104, so these are very close to the same gauges, and might feel pretty darn good.  I may give them a run when I'm ready for a set.  The only string where there's a lot of size difference is the A; it's .070 in the low tension set and .082 in the 760FL set.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
My experience with TI's is that they start to sound good only when they are well broken in...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
My experience with TI's is that they start to sound good only when they are well broken in...

+1

I have a P bass on which the TIs are 14 years old.  The bass isn't that old, but the strings have lived on several of my basses over the years.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
I'm also a fan of broken in strings...they always sound better after six months or so.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 06:07:13 AM »
I'm still a TI fan, but something similar and cheaper sure would be nice!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »
Pilgrim, have you used TIs?  Any comments on how they compare to the Deep Talkin Flats (been considering those despite steel vs nickel)?  TI's on all my basses is getting old and I want a change at least on a few (still have a bit of a stockpile of those from back when we could get em pretty cheap - never paid more than $40 or so per set).  I love Pyramids on my archtop 6 banger (much more so than the TI Bebops I tried before that - again with the midishness), but the bass version is a little too pricey to try out on a whim.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:48:57 AM »
Also these are round core vs hex core Pilgrim. The whole idea of a flatwound string with a round core makes me nervous thinking that the outer wraps will have nothing to bite on to keep them from falling apart.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 07:31:20 AM »
I've never used TIs - too rich for me, and I've always been very happy with Deep Talkin' Flats with an occasional side of D'Addario Chromes.

The very best prices I have found on Labellas have been through Imperial Guitar in New York and Bassstringsonline.com.  The latter site is owned by an active member on TB and he has been excellent about customer service.  I had one string break due to my own error - accidentally tried to put long scale on a short scale bass - and he replaced the entire set with the correct length and just asked me to mail back the others.  I know that he sometimes replaces individual strings for customers.

There are other strings made with flat material on a round core, and I'm not aware of any systemic problems with them, so I'm not convinced that's something I need to be concerned about.

Imperial Guitar: http://www.imperialguitar.com/ Check this - the 760FL set is $28.55!
And these guys have also special-ordered Labella sets for me when I called and asked - still gave me a great price.

Bassstringsonline: http://www.bassstringsonline.com/
Note that the 760FL set is $34.95...still a really good price.  At this site your money supports another bass player.

Juststrings.com is $35.81 for the 760FL set.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
TI flats are round core too. Regular LaBella DTB flats also have round cores. Don't get hung up on the core shape. I've never seen any reports of either brand having problems with the core separating from the wraps, although it's possible if you shorten it beyond the silks. Only time I had it happen was with a set of D'addario Chromes, which are hex core.

Also these are round core vs hex core Pilgrim. The whole idea of a flatwound string with a round core makes me nervous thinking that the outer wraps will have nothing to bite on to keep them from falling apart.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
I thought all the LaBella flats were hex core before these new strings came out ???
I tried round core DR flats that had rough looking windings and saw others with similar issues. The TIs also have the layer of silk thrown in between there. I don't think the new low tension La Bellas have that.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
Regarding round core - only an issue at the ends when you trim.  To reduce the risk, do not trim the extra length of string past the tuning post until after the strings have been stretched. 

Even if they do unwrap a bit, they won't unwrap beyond the kink point on the tuning post so it's pretty much irrelevant   (aesthetic issue).  If they unwrap before stretching is complete, the normal slippage that occurs may allow the unwinding to proceed a bit further but also usually not really much to worry about. Only saw a string unwrap to a worrisome point on a bass that came to me for a setup and the owner had no idea how to properly mount strings.