Author Topic: THEY're a national obsession apparently (Uwe's Edit: Quite darn right too!)  (Read 878 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page

(complete with villainous mastermind smiling creepily at 1:17ish)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:28:07 AM by uwe »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: THEY're a national obsession apparently
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
[Jackboots in Whitehall] Anyone here ever read "The Man In The High Castle" ... ? [/Jackboots in Whitehall]

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:35:41 PM »
YES!  I love P K Dick.  Do Androids Dream is easily my least favorite.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »
The seed behind it is what haunted his work ...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:55:33 PM »

Those tuba players were right in the pocket!  ;)

Rather German Valhalla - ish imagery going - Und now, ve vill march!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 04:40:27 PM »

Those tuba players were right in the pocket!  ;)

Rather German Valhalla - ish imagery going - Und now, ve vill march!

And they all end precisely together with stereotypical Teutonic exactitude!  (Couldn't resist a bit of alliteration.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 11:00:44 PM »
:mrgreen:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:05:26 AM »
:(

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
Hey, I have never denied that there is a "Teutonic" element in DP's music (which btw Led Zep's music totally lacks, from a German viewpoint that is "sloppily engineered")!!! It probably stems from Blackmore's germanophile character, his love of German classical and renaissance folk music, his longer stays in the country, his German first wife - he was after all the chief songwriter of DP. Rainbow was even more Teutonic than DP in my ears - too Teutonic for my taste in fact, they already began to sound a little stiff (something Jon Lord and Ian Paice would always prevent from happening with DP). It's not a coincidence that DP ruled the seventies hard rock market in Germany like no other band, Zep included, DP's music appealed to something in (nearly all of) us.

Judas Priest is btw "Teutonic sounding" in my ears too - it's well-engineered music. It's something that appealed to me immediately first time I heard "Sinner, Sinner ... Sinnnnneeeeerrrrr!" blare out of the listening in headphones of a record shop and almost creamed in my pants.

Iron Maiden? Not so much. And if you "Teutonize" Priest just a little more, you end up with this here:

And to bring things full circle, where did Wolf Hoffmann of Accept get the little melody from he plays at 5:11? Listen here at 4:19 ...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:45:59 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
I needed some dinner making music last night, and Rainbow "Rising" caught my eye. Hadn't listened to it in forever, and wow, is it PROG-gy! What a great lineup. Dio's mile-wide vibrato can get to be a little much, but hey, it fit the times and the style perfectly.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I'm in two minds about the production (the American mix is superior to the European one, that is outright tinny!) of that album: Between Dio, Blackmore and Powell, the other two got about 10% of the available sonic space! But the Tarot Woman synth intro with the clipped Blackmore rhythm guitar and Powell's rumblesome break is worth the price of admission alone! To a lot of people the Rising album is Blackmore's best recorded work and the solos are of course majestic, but whereas DP always rocked & rolled, Rainbow only rocked. To me DP always gorooved more due to such players as Paice, Lord and Hughes, Rainbow had an unfortunate tendency for forehead-furrow-stern-faced plodding sometimes. That said, the two gigs of the Dio-Blackmore-Powell triumvirate I saw (once with Bain and Carey, the other time with Daisley and Stone) were awe-inspiring. Blackmore was both in perfect control of his guitar and the band.

Ronnie chose to limit his vocal expression to a certain style in the Rainbow years by his own (image) design and he stuck with it forever in the Black Sabbath, Dio and Heaven & Hell years that followed. He was quite a bit more variable with Elf or on Roger Glover's Butterfly Ball.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:52:32 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
Only saw the Daisley/Stone line-up, but indeed, stunning; but one added bonus was seeing Rainbow and the Rainbow at the Rainbow ... saw them there with Bonnet too, but a much more commercial variant ...
I have some (dodgy and far away) pics from the first one that will get scanned one day...