Author Topic: NBD: Epi Goth T-bird  (Read 2266 times)

georgestrings

• View Profile
NBD: Epi Goth T-bird
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »
I picked this up off my local CL last friday, and just took a couple of pics... I wasn't really in the market for one, since I already have a Gibson T-bird, but the deal was really good, and came with a factory hardshell case... I've been toying with the idea of doing a Fenderbird build for awhile, so I grabbed it... After a fair amount of cleaning and setup work, it plays and sounds great - actually far closer to my Gibson than I care to admit... I'll probably still do the Fenderbird build eventually - then someone will end up with a great neck for the money... It's an '06 MIK model, and has a nice straight neck, with great fretwork - and no truss issues whatsoever... I spent a few minutes on the nut, moved the strap posts, and it's just about perfect - a real player for the money...

Here's a couple of pics:

- georgestrings

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: NBD: Epi Goth T-bird
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »

Nice score George, I think those are a reasonable starting point for a fun 7enderbird project  :thumbsup:

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:31:11 PM »
Gots da big neck, like my white CS/LE. It appears the newest bolt-on Epis finally went to a 1.5" nut width.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
Nice score George, I think those are a reasonable starting point for a fun 7enderbird project  :thumbsup:

Thanks - with an Epi T-bird hardshell in nice shape, I didn't figure I was doing bad for a C note, a beat up sm58, and old passive DI... I'm thinking a P Bass neck, different pickguard, and seafoam green paint, maybe???

I've been pleasantly surprised - I've probably played more than half a dozen Epi T-birds over the years, and been underwhelmed every time... After some time spent on cleaning, setup, adjusting pups, a set of Boomer mediums, and changing the cap out for a .047uF, it plays and sounds really good - definitely good enough to gig... I just hope I don't lose anything when I bolt a Fender neck to it, since I really have my heart set on a Fenderbird...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »
Gots da big neck, like my white CS/LE. It appears the newest bolt-on Epis finally went to a 1.5" nut width.

Yeah, it's a shade under 1.7" at the nut - but feels just like my P basses, which isn't a bad thing...

- georgestrings

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »
Denis (with Carlo's input) converted one of those with good results, or am I mixing up something...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »
Denis (with Carlo's input) converted one of those with good results, or am I mixing up something...?

Yeah, I don't think it'll be all that difficult - I *think* I just have to widen the neck pocket a bit, and it should work out OK... I'll know more when I start taking some measurements...

- georgestrings

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »
I think Mark did one also. Metallic red??
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »

Yep, I didn't want to wreck it's garish color so I narrowed the neck and shaved the neck heel down, much easier since I don't have an exstensive shop facility to work on this kind of stuff.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »

With a collection of 'birds like his, I'm sure there's one in there somewhere...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »
Yep, I didn't want to wreck it's garish color so I narrowed the neck and shaved the neck heel down, much easier since I don't have an exstensive shop facility to work on this kind of stuff.

My thinking is, I'm going to paint the body anyways - and since the neck is going to cost me more than the body, it would be worth it even if I have to pay someone to route out the neck pocket... I'm leaning towards buying a router, and doing it myself, to be honest - the depth is fine, I just have to widen the pocket a smidge under 1/8" on each side, and make sure it'll seat in enough to properly intonate... Heck, we're not talking about building a watch here, hahaha!!!

- georgestrings

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »

I ended up marking the original fret locations with tape on the body, it was srprising how much material had to be removed from the heel to get the new neck's frets to be in the same place - I didn't want the reach for the low frets to be too long.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »

I ended up marking the original fret locations with tape on the body, it was srprising how much material had to be removed from the heel to get the new neck's frets to be in the same place - I didn't want the reach for the low frets to be too long.

Interesting - I appreciate the sharing of your experience on this, Mark - I'll be sure to post about it when the time comes for the build... In the meantime, I'm going to play it as is until I score a Fender neck for it - gonna gig it friday, actually - just for grins...

- georgestrings

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
If I remember correctly the neck pocket on the Goth has an angle to it, it's not flat like a Fender pocket.  I think the amount of routing that needs to be done depends on the bridge you use with the neck??? Anyone have better details about that?
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
If I remember correctly the neck pocket on the Goth has an angle to it, it's not flat like a Fender pocket.  I think the amount of routing that needs to be done depends on the bridge you use with the neck??? Anyone have better details about that?

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.