Author Topic: Who didn't see this coming? Kiss RRHOF conflict  (Read 8806 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Who didn't see this coming? Kiss RRHOF conflict
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »
"No, I'm not the lead guitarist, I'm the trout player ..." is priceless (after the moderator's "bass" gaffe)!  Even under alcohol he was quick on the draw (back then at least), some people have liquor lucidity.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2014, 07:41:18 AM »
The REAL reason KISS would not perform - Paul's voice is SHOT! I've been reading this online for some time now, and any fairly recent YouTube clips back it up. He's just toast. I wish they would quit. It's just painful. Dude was a unique sounding powerhouse for a long time.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »
The REAL reason KISS would not perform - Paul's voice is SHOT! I've been reading this online for some time now, and any fairly recent YouTube clips back it up. He's just toast. I wish they would quit. It's just painful. Dude was a unique sounding powerhouse for a long time.

Ouch
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2014, 08:32:05 AM »
Well... it obviously didn't stop them from performing at Idols.   :popcorn:

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2014, 10:48:15 AM »
Whatever Paul doesn't have to prove anything at this point. Big ups to little Meatloaf there.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
As if Kiss' succeSS ever had something to do with Paul singing well or not (and their vocal harmonies were generally abysmal live, which was unusal for a Yank band when you are all sort of Beach Boys by origin!). I always found his operatic rasp labored, it wasn't a natural rasp like, say, Noddy Holder's (unlike him, Paul doesn't have a raspy speaking voice), and it had none of the warmth of, say, Bob Seger. In his best of times, Paul was vocally a one trick pony and his voice transported very little emotion other than Kiss' larger-than-life HOLLER AS LOUD AS YOU CAN!!! stadium rock (for once the term is justified!) escapism (Peter Criss put more emotion in singing Beth than Paul did on all Kiss output combined, he was and is too vain to even sing a love song credibly). And that one trick pony has lost some elasticity in his vocal chords, yes, tracks like Lick it Up give him a hard time today, downtuning or not (Kiss tuned a half-step down in even their halcyon days, these days that is no longer sufficient for some tracks).

But looking at the audience and the American Idol jurors eagerly lapping up what Kiss do in that vid, Kiss will not have to worry about vocal performances in a long time. They are an American institution more than a rock band by now and it is probably the way they always wanted it. Their singers were always inflexible, their drummer knew less chops than most drum roadies, their lead guitarist couldn't play his solos in time and the bassist concentrated more on breathing fire, spitting blood and sticking his tongue out than on grooving.  So what, they're Kiss.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2014, 07:47:57 AM »
Big ups to little Meatloaf there.

Yeah, that kid Caleb is great, but I dread what they're going to do to him. His career is owned by Fox from here on out. Good for him, he'll make some money, if not some real rock and roll. He did an awesome cover of Maybe I'm Amazed that really made it clear that he can do more than vocal histrionics.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2014, 05:37:34 AM »
I thought Gene quipping "I just bought the plane" and asking the actor's mum for her autograph showed some humor and grudging respect for her not budging to move seats. Nothing to get excited about, all kinds of people show bad manners on planes all the time. It's the stress of having to be physically closer to strangers than we would regularly care to be.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:29:25 AM by uwe »