Author Topic: Re-discovering bands you used to like.  (Read 14998 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Re-discovering bands you used to like.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 09:08:38 AM »
In the early nineties up till mid-nineties I was really into the British band Thunder. Especially their second album Laughing At Judgement Day spent a lot of hours in my CD player. I went to a lot of live shows.

But after a while I grew tired of Thunder.

Yesterday I grabbed Laughing At Judgement Day and played it again after many years of neglect.
Man, this is a GREAT album! I'm glad I rediscovered Thunder.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 11:32:06 AM »
Thunder opened for WHITESNAKE & Def Lep on some UK dates recently.

I've been lovin' HUMBLE PIE & even got some of Steve Marriot's early stuff with Small Faces.

I got really into MOUNTAIN again when I bought Nantucket Sleighride on cd.
I'd never bought the vinyl or cassette!! GREAT album! Tired Angels & the title track are AWESOME songs!!
Travelin' In The Dark is anuzza fav.

Tabla Beat Science with Bill Laswell on bass is a new fav that had slipped thru the cracks.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »
The Small Faces are so great!!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »
I haven't dug out any old Humble Pie albums, but I did grab a concert from Wolfgang's Vault, and also listened to Steve Marriott and the Original Receivers.
Also been revisiting Mott The Hoople lately.  When I get home, I'll post the YouTube of "Driving Sister" with Ian Hunter's famous Hoople guitar.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »
I'm a big fan of anything Marriot ever did. Got most of his list. Only white guy comes close to Paul Rogers IMHO.

This week I've been listening to a lot of Traffic (in my car) for some reason. There was definitely a very good reason why Hendrix  used Dave Mason as his number 2 man. He has some of that 'Nth' magic that Kossoff and Clapton had.
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 09:40:27 PM »
I'm a big fan of anything Marriot ever did. Got most of his list. Only white guy comes close to Paul Rogers IMHO.

This week I've been listening to a lot of Traffic (in my car) for some reason. There was definitely a very good reason why Hendrix  used Dave Mason as his number 2 man. He has some of that 'Nth' magic that Kossoff and Clapton had.

Yeah! Traffic was my fav band in the early 70s & I saw 'em A LOT including several places here in the Southland when Dave Mason toured with 'em on the WELCOME TO THE CANTEEN TOUR.
Just drove by the place where his ALONE TOGETHER album cover was shot. Beautiful hill on Topanga.
Gotta dig up that cd now....

Hendrix is at his best with Winwood on B-3 on Voodoo Chile, & with Mason helpin' out on All Along The Watchtower!!
I look forward to rainy days to put on Electric Ladyland.  :mrgreen:

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 10:46:27 PM »
This summer I've rediscovered Spirit and Spooky Tooth - but my biggest re-discovery was the iTunes release of the first Psychedelic Furs Album with bonus tracks.  I was big fan of albums 2 and 3 back in the day, lost interest after that....I'd never really heard the first album.

Self-titled "Psychedelic Furs," it's part Bowie, part Lou Reed and very much ahead of its time imo.   Too bad they couldn't sustain it and keep that lineup together.  Here's a flashback (hey - lip-synching started way before Ashlee Simpson!  ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDoyK9Dx4_o&feature=related

nofi

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 04:25:32 AM »
yeah, like on american bandstand in the 50's. lip synching that is. i have been listening to janis joplin lately. with big brother, full tilt boogie et al.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:02:39 PM by nofi »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 05:52:42 PM »
This summer I've rediscovered Spirit and Spooky Tooth - but my biggest re-discovery was the iTunes release of the first Psychedelic Furs Album with bonus tracks.  I was big fan of albums 2 and 3 back in the day, lost interest after that....I'd never really heard the first album.

Self-titled "Psychedelic Furs," it's part Bowie, part Lou Reed and very much ahead of its time imo.   Too bad they couldn't sustain it and keep that lineup together.  Here's a flashback (hey - lip-synching started way before Ashlee Simpson!  ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDoyK9Dx4_o&feature=related

Cool, it does have a bit of that "Waiting for the Man" about it
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »
It's more than just part-Bowie.  I think Mick Ronson was the producer for them.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:31 PM »

For me I go away but always come back to the L.A. Guns, they're SO sleazy........they never really leave me. I love this Sullivanesque vid.....

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 11:55:43 PM »
Yeah!!! I've loved Spirit since jr. high & finally saw 'em just before Randy California checked out.
Jay Ferguson & Mark Andes went on to form Jo Jo Gunne & remember cruisin' with my high school buds listenin' to them. Had 2 or 3 of their albums on vinyl. I bought their first album on cd a coupla years ago.
Run Run Run

Love L.A. Guns too--saw 'em around '89 & again on Halloween '06.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 06:47:28 AM »
I'd love to be able to play slide guitar like Matt Andes in Jo Jo Gunne.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
I saw Jo Jo Gunne open for Jefferson Airplane. They were great.  I've got a couple of their albums, and covered "Where is the Show?" from them.  "Shake That Fat" is also a nice little groove.  Here's "Babylon"