Author Topic: Music videos that feature Rics  (Read 85570 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Rics
« Reply #435 on: August 09, 2023, 08:38:18 PM »
Prakash John (not the other way around!) lets rip Ric ...

This is a pre-Wagner/Hunter line-up with ex-Iron Butterfly Danny Weiss on guitar. The way they merge at 01:48 from the rhythmic intro jam into the telltale riff (and speed up) is cute.

The later line-up with Dick Wagner as the musical director would rearrange the intro quite a bit, more drama and harmonies, less rhythm groove.The change into the riff is now at 03:20 ...

Panned at the time by critics as an attempt of sell-out-"heavy metal", I thought Reed's 'Live' album with basically what was then Alice Cooper's backing group (or the other way around: Reed's backing group playing for Alice, the solo artist) in the second half of the 70ies great. Bob Ezrin's go-to-guitar-tandem Dick Wagner + Steve Hunter beefing things up with their joint layered rhythm and lead harmony playing did the Reed songbook no harm. Today, the album is deemed a classic. That said, the intro they came up with does sound very Alice Cooper'ish to me, it wouldn't have been out of place at any of Vince's mid-70ies gigs.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 04:04:59 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 10, 2023, 04:19:06 AM »
Oooh, good stuff. He has a neck mudbucker, as was customary back then, and a J pickup between the horseshoe and the mud.

I did the opposite - I had a Ric toaster under the mud cover in my EB-0L...
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #437 on: August 10, 2023, 06:45:20 AM »
I used to listen to my sister's Rock n Roll Animal 8 track a lot. Loved that Sweet Jane intro. I was a Cooper fan already at the time, but had no idea who was in Reed's band.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 10, 2023, 07:57:10 AM »
We gather from this that Tom was this bratty, braces-equipped baby brother

(Kip Winger was as close as I could get to Alice Cooper!)

always getting his greasy-sweaty, sub-adolescent paws on his big sis' vinyl and 8-track (---> she could already drive) collection!

"To-hom, did you nick my Lou Reed again, give it back NOW!!! I told you a thousand times, you're not supposed to take my stuff when I'm not there. And while we're at it: My mascara and eyeliner too, you're definitely NOT Alice Cooper, dammit!"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 08:26:21 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 10, 2023, 08:10:58 AM »
Oooh, good stuff. He has a neck mudbucker, as was customary back then, and a J pickup between the horseshoe and the mud.

So that is where that Gibson'esque sound comes from, danke for the enlightenment!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #440 on: August 11, 2023, 07:28:46 AM »
No braces, but yes to everything else! 3 sisters, 7, 8, and 10 years older than me. They were petrified if I walked into the room when they had a boyfriend over.  ;D 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 11, 2023, 11:19:48 AM »
Note to self: Tom was a late child, but mom’s darling boy. Everything else, his love for PROG etc, followed from there …
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 12:49:37 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2023, 12:34:05 PM »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 11, 2023, 12:36:27 AM »
Was there ever a song relating to Japan without that riff?  :mrgreen: And it's not even Japanese — or Asian — it's western.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 12:48:04 AM by ilan »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 08, 2023, 06:52:59 AM »
True, even Tommy Bolin couldn’t resist temptation and incorporated it into You Keep On Moving (at 01:53) at DP’s 1975 Budokan gig, eliciting a surprised turning around and a grin from Glenn Hughes at the mic. The Japanese audience lapped that gig up though Tommy’s drug abuse had numbed his fretting arm reducing him to very basic playing that night.

PS: That caltoon you glaciously posted, Ilan, oh my, some undiluted steleotypes thele that Westelnels have, hihihi! :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 07:44:23 AM by uwe »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 08, 2023, 10:59:13 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 09, 2023, 08:24:23 AM »
What will all the people in the Chinese cities of Tokyo, Seoul and Hanoi only make of it?!

I found this both enlightening and hilarious:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/07/i-feel-ashamed-of-myself-i-know-that-they-all-look-the-same-to-me-is-a-horrible-form-of-racism

"I have to admit I giggled nervously as I read your letter, and I thought of my dear late mother who had real trouble keeping white people’s faces straight in her head. It was especially acute when we were watching movies. She couldn’t tell the good guy from the bad guy and had no idea which white woman was the romantic lead, and which one was the awkward sister. Every time there was a new scene, she’d be asking, “Now which one is that?”

My mother didn’t grow up around a whole lot of white people, so different colour eyes and hair colour weren’t really a point of reference. She had no problem recognising her white friends – people she had worked with and visited and so on. However, like you, she was never very good at out-of-context encounters."

And the most embarrassing thing is I've been there myself: Many years ago I stumbled across a colleague from work in a supermarket with his Korean wife. I knew her from law firm related functions years back. I thought. Turns out, she wasn't #1 Korean wife, but wife-to-be #2. And here I am talking about past meetings and how their children are doing. Inane stuff like: "No need for an introduction, we know each other from ..., don't we?" (blank stare from her part). I notice how my colleague's facial expression turns from initial disbelief to outright distraughtness - the separation from his first wife and kids was comparatively recent - and kept thinking to myself: "Why is he acting so weird, I'm just being nice?" They made off rather abrupt.

Only at home did it dawn to me that the much younger-looking Korean female in the supermarket couldn't have really been the wife and mother of 10 years ago. I could have died a death there and then. And it got worse. Having been the recruitment partner of our Frankfurt office at the time, I realized I had actually interviewed #2 in person about 18 months earlier for a job at our firm (my colleague's/partner's unbridled enthusiasm for hiring her as his associate back then should have perhaps made me think and alert me to possible ulterior motives on his part, but that is another story - people just have no idea how gullible I can be!).

I never dared speak to him about it, but he was good enough to - apparently - forget about it. In any case, they separated years later and I was lucky enough to never be put into the situation of not recognizing #3 Korean significant other with which he had meanwhile hooked up.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 02:56:54 PM by uwe »

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 09, 2023, 09:45:59 PM »
What will all the people in the Chinese cities of Tokyo, Seoul and Hanoi only make of it?!

I found this both enlightening and hilarious:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/07/i-feel-ashamed-of-myself-i-know-that-they-all-look-the-same-to-me-is-a-horrible-form-of-racism

"I have to admit I giggled nervously as I read your letter, and I thought of my dear late mother who had real trouble keeping white people’s faces straight in her head. It was especially acute when we were watching movies. She couldn’t tell the good guy from the bad guy and had no idea which white woman was the romantic lead, and which one was the awkward sister. Every time there was a new scene, she’d be asking, “Now which one is that?”

My mother didn’t grow up around a whole lot of white people, so different colour eyes and hair colour weren’t really a point of reference. She had no problem recognising her white friends – people she had worked with and visited and so on. However, like you, she was never very good at out-of-context encounters."

And the most embarrassing thing is I've been there myself: Many years ago I stumbled across a colleague from work in a supermarket with his Korean wife. I knew her from law firm related functions years back. I thought. Turns out, she wasn't #1 Korean wife, but wife-to-be #2. And here I am talking about past meetings and how their children are doing. Inane stuff like: "No need for an introduction, we know each other from ..., don't we?" (blank stare from her part). I notice how my colleague's facial expression turns from initial disbelief to outright distraughtness - the separation from his first wife and kids was comparatively recent - and kept thinking to myself: "Why is he acting so weird, I'm just being nice?" They made off rather abrupt.

Only at home did it dawn to me that the much younger-looking Korean female in the supermarket couldn't have really been the wife and mother of 10 years ago. I could have died a death there and then. And it got worse. Having been the recruitment partner of our Frankfurt office at the time, I realized I had actually interviewed #2 in person about 18 months earlier for a job at our firm (my colleague's/partner's unbridled enthusiasm for hiring her as his associate back then should have perhaps made me think and alert me to possible ulterior motives on his part, but that is another story - people just have no idea how gullible I can be!).

I never dared speak to him about it, but he was good enough to - apparently - forget about it. In any case, they separated years later and I was lucky enough to never be put into the situation of not recognizing #3 Korean significant other with which he had meanwhile hooked up.

:mrgreen:  ;)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 10, 2023, 01:07:12 AM »
I have a mild form of prosopagnosia, so that happens a lot to me, doesn't even have to be an Asian face. I was always thought of as being snobbish, I'm used to it, but it's just a social technique for hiding the fact that I don't always recognize faces or at least I'm not 100% sure. Last year I've used training software to help with it, after three months I showed good results but in real life situations the best I can say is – it didn't worsen it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 11, 2023, 03:01:24 PM »
But you're real good at telling the most arcane Rickenbacker models apart, Ilan! That must come in
handy in everyday life.   :-X

« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 03:08:43 PM by uwe »