Author Topic: Music videos that feature Rics  (Read 85329 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Rics
« Reply #525 on: March 21, 2024, 01:20:10 PM »
To his defense, he apparently bought a 'Fender' replacement neck in the 70ies which unbeknownst to him wasn't one.

I like Gilmour's voice and guitar feel, but without Waters Pink Floyd is just pretty ambience music. That said, I'm not a great The Wall fan either, if a project ever cried "VANITY!!!", it was that one.

I've seen him a couple of times live (inter alia on the Animals tour way back in the 70ies and I didn't even really like Floyd back then), for someone with as much playing experience as him, his right hand 'technique' is really bludgeoning. He hits his P carelessly and hard, you can practically see it shaking as he plays it. But what you then hear sure sounds like Roger Waters.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 01:27:19 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 22, 2024, 02:13:31 AM »
he apparently bought a 'Fender' replacement neck in the 70ies which unbeknownst to him wasn't one.

Here's the story:

https://lapelcelery.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/roger-waters-black-fender-precision-bass/
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 22, 2024, 05:54:55 PM »
https://youtu.be/dq6fCOGyVJg?si=gCXeI4usPSDJ8K0h

Damn. I can't remember how to post a YouTube video. I tried to insert the link between the [url] [url] brackets and that didn't work. So I modified it and posted the link directly to the page. That didn't work either. Can someone refresh my memory? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:05:09 PM by saltymonkey »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 22, 2024, 09:53:40 PM »
https://youtu.be/dq6fCOGyVJg?si=gCXeI4usPSDJ8K0h

Damn. I can't remember how to post a YouTube video. I tried to insert the link between the [url] [url] brackets and that didn't work. So I modified it and posted the link directly to the page. That didn't work either. Can someone refresh my memory? Thanks.

Just delete the question mark and everything to the right of it.

Unless you're copying something that's part of someone's playlist, it should be the URL that's in the Address Bar.

No brackets necessary.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 23, 2024, 12:54:09 AM »
Man that mini-humbuckered LP Deluxe sounds good. The Ric sounds like it has flats.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 23, 2024, 02:53:56 AM »
Like David Gilmour's black Strat, you wouldn't give that bass a second glance in a pawnshop if it wasn't priced crazily low.

I think I've seen that bass in London when Pink Floyd had their 'mortal remains' exhibition. There was one heavily used black on black P Bass with a maple neck. It had definitely seen some action.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 27, 2024, 04:09:26 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 27, 2024, 05:02:38 PM »
To quote John Lydon on Glen's departure/eviction from the Pistols: "He really started to play well. I mean you can't have that in a band. So we got in Sid who sure enough never learned how to play and all was good again.:rimshot:

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 28, 2024, 10:55:14 AM »
Just delete the question mark and everything to the right of it.

Unless you're copying something that's part of someone's playlist, it should be the URL that's in the Address Bar.

No brackets necessary.

I think the 'Tragic Band' is overlooked. Beefheart was revered in the UK as the weirdo's weirdo. A wilfully bonkers guy. The Tragic Band is interesting as it seems like his attempt to make a stab at creating commercially successful music. Hire some session musicians with no previous working history and make lightweight country music. It almost worked, but it still seems off kilter.

Beefheart came back to the UK in 1975 with a guy playing a tuba through an octave divider in lieu of a bassist. This pleased the journalists and fans who had him pegged as a weirdo.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 28, 2024, 12:57:56 PM »
I think the 'Tragic Band' is overlooked. Beefheart was revered in the UK as the weirdo's weirdo. A wilfully bonkers guy. The Tragic Band is interesting as it seems like his attempt to make a stab at creating commercially successful music. Hire some session musicians with no previous working history and make lightweight country music. It almost worked, but it still seems off kilter.

Beefheart came back to the UK in 1975 with a guy playing a tuba through an octave divider in lieu of a bassist. This pleased the journalists and fans who had him pegged as a weirdo.

Thanks for that. I was unaware of the Tragic Band era. I found the story here: http://www.beefheart.com/the-tragic-band/ after reading your post. I didn't really start listening to Beefheart until a couple of years after that. I was in the 9th grade in '76 and started expanding my musical horizons. I've been a fan since then.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 08, 2024, 04:54:32 AM »
Pre-falcetto.

Bonus - Ric 480 mimed solo

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 08, 2024, 05:49:09 AM »
The audio track obviously isn't live, but they might have been playing live at the time. The instruments are plugged, even the Gibson acoustic has a sound hole pup, there is an acoustic piano at the side and amps. Don't think they would have bothered with that if everything came from tape at Trafalgar Square.

Robin didn't have much to do in that song! It's pretty rocky for them, they were obviously valiantly trying to be contemporary at the time, this even sounds a little Buffalo Springfield'ish/CSN&Y.

I didn't mind their falsetto years at all. Barry had a great one, it must be said.

For decades I lived under the illusion that Barry sang the late 70ies to 80ies Disco stuff while the 60ies ballads were predominantly done by Robin's more wailing/tearful, lower voice. How wrong I was. The lion's share of the 60ies stuff has Barry on lead as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 06:01:54 AM by uwe »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 08, 2024, 06:49:14 AM »
Maurice was a good bass player with a fine taste in basses. He's on most of their hits. His brothers didn't play in the studio as far as I know.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 08, 2024, 07:38:57 AM »
No issues with Maurice's bass playing at all, he was always my favorite Bee Gee, the coolest one. Tragic how that surgery went wrong, but at one time in his life he was personally responsible for a sizable chunk of Columbia's and Peru's agricultural produce exports. Coke leaves a durable mark on your health, it's not like heroin where your fine going forward once you kick it for good (and have survived it that long).

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #539 on: April 08, 2024, 10:18:39 AM »
Coke leaves a durable mark on your health, it's not like heroin where your fine going forward once you kick it for good (and have survived it that long).

A couple that my wife and I used to be very close with were big blow-heads. They eventually divorced. 20+ years later, they both suffered strokes within months of each other. I have to wonder if the marching powder had something to do with it?