Author Topic: Music videos that feature Rics  (Read 85458 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Rics
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »

The Love Affair miming to Everlasting Love. Mick Jackson with a JG 1999RM. The actual bass player on the recording was session player Russ Stableford, who did an excellent job but did not use a Ric. Listening to the track, I'm pretty sure he recorded it with a guitar amp. But even through the tiny iPhone "speakers" at 30% volume, the bass part is still audible! And very effective. But again, sounds like a Fender.

Here's the full story - worth reading if you're not already familiar with it. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:41:37 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2018, 02:46:54 PM »
Brummie Boy revisits Ric ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2018, 07:07:29 AM »
Brummie Boy revisits Ric ...

Cool, thanks for that. I just missed Glenn recently on his Purple tour.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2018, 07:42:51 PM »
I posted this on FB, posting here for the Ric content.

Wish I could travel back in time and be her tambourine.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2018, 03:45:27 AM »
Looks like a Fender Bassman amp with the 2x15 cab. 30 years ago I schlepped a similar rig, a 1969 Bassman, it weighed a ton, the cab didn't fit in the car, and the head clipped at 40% volume. Then it was stolen from the rehearsal studio. I salute the burglar for his fine taste in vintage amps and wish his chiropractor the best of luck. I moved to GK and never looked back.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
I knew a guy who had a similar bassman / 2x15 rig in college. I had a similar impression of its lack of practicality.
Coincidentally for this thread, he played a Ric :)

He usually ended up borrowing my amp -- a Randall RB125 solid state head like this one https://reverb.com/item/6708514-randall-rb-125-es-bass-head-200w ... that probably maxed out at 70 or 80 watts into an 8-ohm EVM 15L in a terribly constructed homemade cab.

As modest as it was, it was a lot more portable, was audible over the drums, was super reliable, and sounded pretty decent.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
And now I stick a 500W class D bass head in the pocket of my gig bag, it never clips even when dimed, and every venue or practice studio has their bass cabs. Things have changed radically. And guitar players keep carrying their tube amps... it's a great time to be a bass player.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »
In the late 60's and early 70's I had a Blackface Bassman amp and a 2x15 Fender cab with one JBL and one Fender speaker in it.  I remember that when I was 23, it wasn't all that hard to move around if someone would give me a hand occasionally.

When I recovered that amp and cab at age 47 after a 24-year layoff from bass, I was surprised that some SOB had gotten into the cab and added 20 pounds of lead to it.  It was much heavier than it was when I was a yout'.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And today I still have the Bassman amp, but it's used for practice.  I carry my 36-pound Genz-Benz Shuttle docked on its 12" cab or my 22-pound Fender Rumble 100 to gigs.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
My problem is I can't find a light weight amp that have the character of my tube amps. I have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout which is the closest I've found but still no rabbit.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2018, 11:23:44 PM »
My problem is I can't find a light weight amp that have the character of my tube amps. I have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout which is the closest I've found but still no rabbit.

They probably make D amps better now than before, but it still sucks repairing them. They come in (blown up) quite often, but it's a hassle getting parts for them. They are made to be thrown away after a year or so. Now and then, I have a customer who won't give up - like now... After dozens of mails the company (don't want to name it) finally 'let me' buy the parts I need - at a price careflly calculated to match that of a brand new unit >:( Then you wait for half a year, more mails, maybe the parts turn up. Maybe the company you bought the parts from no longer own the brand >:( >:( Well, I guess as long as my customers are satisfied... but it will annoy me forever - they CAN make them last.. but they don't.

As for the sound, agree - tubes :)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2018, 09:53:51 AM »
Yes, Tubes. Still waiting for cold cathode technology to arrive in a bass amp.

Louder bass!.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »
Yeah I didn't have a tube amp I liked that I was trying to match. I can see that would make the modern heads a lot less appealing!

Instead, I bought my secondhand genz-benz shuttle 6.0 almost nine years ago on talkbass for $525*, without having tried it; I figured that since they were pretty hot on talkbass at the time, I could always flip it for about what I paid if I didn't like it.  I'd say I got my money's worth for sure.
It turned out I absolutely loved it, the tube input stage can be pushed into a mild overdrive that suits me well, the EQ is simple but well tuned, sounds great flat and there's hardly a bad setting on it.  It is also the loudest amp I've ever owned, I've never run out of headroom on it. I even like the sound of the mid scoop button - that's a first for me!

When it eventually dies I'll have to figure out what next. Considering how much I like this one I'd probably first try out a Genzler, but there's a lot more options nowadays.

* yep, as I remembered... https://www.talkbass.com/threads/f-s-genx-benz-shuttle-6-0.514207/#post-6991449
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:44:00 AM by slinkp »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »

Instead, I bought my secondhand genz-benz shuttle 6.0 almost nine years ago on talkbass for $525*, without having tried it; I figured that since they were pretty hot on talkbass at the time, I could always flip it for about what I paid if I didn't like it.  I'd say I got my money's worth for sure.
It turned out I absolutely loved it, the tube input stage can be pushed into a mild overdrive that suits me well, the EQ is simple but well tuned, sounds great flat and there's hardly a bad setting on it.  It is also the loudest amp I've ever owned, I've never run out of headroom on it. I even like the sound of the mid scoop button - that's a first for me!

I feel the same about my Shuttle 6.2.  Sounds great, love the tube preamp, and it's about 300% louder than anything I'll ever need. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2019, 06:48:57 PM »
Have we seen this?

It's mislabeled. It was from John's solo album Rigor Mortis Sets In.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2019, 02:50:05 AM »
I like the song. The LS however...  ;)