Author Topic: Motley Crue to retire  (Read 1824 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Motley Crue to retire
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
http://www.motley.com/motley-crue-announces-final-tour/

I know this won't matter to a lot of you, but Nikki was the reason (for better or worse) I switched to bass from guitar. Looks like one more tour to end it all.

After more than three decades together, iconic rock ‘n roll band MÖTLEY CRÜE announced today their Final Tour and the band’s ultimate retirement. The announcement was solidified when the band signed a formal Cessation Of Touring Agreement, effective at the end of 2015, in front of global media in Los Angeles today.

Hopefully it won't be like many other bands that "retire" only to constantly be touring again.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

fur85

• View Profile
Re: Motley Crue to retire
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:08 AM »
Alice Cooper is opening! It looks like a grueling tour schedule, 44 shows in July and August, all in different cities. September off and then the same pace in October and November.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:16:37 AM »
Saw them a few months back in Vegas. Great show overall, even considering that Vince sings like he's reading a half-finished crossword puzzle. I haven't been to a Cooper show since the 90s so this tour will have to be a must for me this year.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:25:18 AM »
considering that Vince sings like he's reading a half-finished crossword puzzle.

LOL!  Nice.  On the first couple albums, I referred to his voice as having an argument with the microphone.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »
LOL!  Nice.  On the first couple albums, I referred to his voice as having an argument with the microphone.

He used to have that screechy voice. Not as bad as Axl but not very appealing to me. He only seems to sing half of the lyrics now, but I'm ok with that  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »
I haven't been to a Cooper show since the 90s so this tour will have to be a must for me this year.

He headlined a blues festival in Norway in 2009, not really knowing what to expect.
It was amazing, energy all the way and a very thought through selection of songs.
Mostly from the 70´s catalogue, but with some songs you really did not expect.
He is headlining Sweden Rock this year (along with Black Sabbath and WASP), tempting..

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »
Alice can still entertain. Never having been a great singer has its benefits, his voice today is not so far off from his heyday. It's basically a greatest hits show covering Alice Cooper Band, Welcome to my Nightmare, Poison era plus the occasional new track from whatever latest release is current.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
I saw them on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Vince sounded terrible. And yeah, half the lyrics... It's funny - aside from the first two records, I never cared much for these guys, but with the current state of music, I hate to see any rock band go away. Then again, I remember seeing the KISS farewell tour.... 13 years ago! Maybe there's nothing to worry about.  :P

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
I'd heard that some of this was a collective agreement to call it a day due to Mick Mars' degenerative condition...

I'd heard of this a while back... surprised no one had mentioned it, I guess, in hindsight...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
I heard about this on NPR this morning.  Evidently the agreement prevents anyone from touring as MC ever again.  For this I give them props - I'm weary of some guys third cousin that was in "X" touring as "X"  I keep hearing a new Foghat song on the college radio station down here - who's even still alive from Foghat?   ???

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
I keep hearing a new Foghat song on the college radio station down here - who's even still alive from Foghat?   ???

Roger Earl, Craig MacGregor, Tony Stevens...   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 05:34:57 PM »
Huh, so is it just Lonesome Dave that passed.  The new song is not bad but other than being a boogie deal it just seems to fall a bit short to me.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »
LD was the voice but Rod "the bottle" Price also died (fell down the stairs during heart failure). MacGregor and "Tone" were on the bass, so the only "originals" are the rhythm section, of which TS is not working with them afaik...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
never much of a Crue fan, but Kick Start my Heart is a killer song
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

NOT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »
Nikki is the reason I picked up bass in 7th grade. The Live Wire video set my 13 year old mind off and led me to trading my Squier Strat for a Duff Mckagan signature bass. Best decision I ever made.

Motley puts on one heck of a show. Motley and Cheap trick are by far the two best live bands I've seen. It's a bummer knowing their retiring, but I dig the whole "We're goin' out together" attitude. Rather than having only 2 original members under the name Mötley Crüe..

I'd like to hear a lot more of the first album on this Final Tour. Take Me To The Top, On With The Show, etc.
Is Father Home?